The Student Room Group

AS Results - AAAC - C made up of A and E?! In what I wanted to do at uni :/

I know it's not disastrous results but how is it going to affect UCAS and my options? I was predicted an A in English but in the 2 exams I got an A and then an E, the A was 90 and the E was about half of that. The teacher thinks that's dodgy and I should get a remark, but I think I probably messed it up from stress cos I thought I'd got a U in an exam the day before, and cos the question was different to how it was meant to be. I used to want to do English at uni or English with something, but I can't apply to a top uni with a C in the subject I want to do can I? I'm not talking Oxbridge top, well some teachers say I should because I got A*s in GCSEs but I'm not sure if I fancy it, but quite high. A retake in January is too late because I need to put the result down on UCAS in like September :s-smilie: Do AQA do retakes any earlier? Should I just pick a different subject to do at uni? Drop English and carry on with something I don't like but got A in? Could a teacher put on UCAS that I got a 90 in one and then I'm remarking/retaking an odd/unexpected result? Any advice?
Reply 1
anyone? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
the same thing happened to me! AAAC but the C is in english lit., which i want to do at ucl=( I'll tell you what I'm planning to do but if anyone has a better idea PLEASE SAY!!!
Remarking is risky as you could decrease your grade, and retaking a module is no longer seen as acceptable by the top unis (oxford, ucl etc.), however, this is generally for science and medicine only so you could try repeating the module and see if unis accept it. It may be an idea to call specific universities and see if they are OK with repeating modules for English, or investigate online. If they know you're repeating and it's Ok with them they may be lenient. I have a friend who got AAB for A2 and promised Oxford he would retake for the A( he took a gap year). He got it and now he goes there so hey

Yup it would be an idea to apply to uni with English and a subject you got an A in, and then drop that subject after a year and continue with English. Alot of people I know are doing just that. You have to make sure the university you want to go to offers English and the other subject as a joint course though

I personally am going to still try for UCL, i MAY repeat the module based on what UCL say, hopefully if you can get your teacher to predict you a B and write an EXCELLNT personal statement (esp. as you wish to study english) you'll be ok. Remember unis also look at character and PS, predictions and interviews go a long way
good luck ok
Ashley Mae
the same thing happened to me! AAAC but the C is in english lit., which i want to do at ucl=( I'll tell you what I'm planning to do but if anyone has a better idea PLEASE SAY!!!
Remarking is risky as you could decrease your grade, and retaking a module is no longer seen as acceptable by the top unis (oxford, ucl etc.), however, this is generally for science and medicine only so you could try repeating the module and see if unis accept it. It may be an idea to call specific universities and see if they are OK with repeating modules for English, or investigate online. If they know you're repeating and it's Ok with them they may be lenient. I have a friend who got AAB for A2 and promised Oxford he would retake for the A( he took a gap year). He got it and now he goes there so hey

Yup it would be an idea to apply to uni with English and a subject you got an A in, and then drop that subject after a year and continue with English. Alot of people I know are doing just that. You have to make sure the university you want to go to offers English and the other subject as a joint course though

I personally am going to still try for UCL, i MAY repeat the module based on what UCL say, hopefully if you can get your teacher to predict you a B and write an EXCELLNT personal statement (esp. as you wish to study english) you'll be ok. Remember unis also look at character and PS, predictions and interviews go a long way
good luck ok

I sincerely doubt you would get an offer with just a B predicted for English.
Reply 4
always worth try, if not gap year then re-apply with better grades:smile:
You might as well retake. And Jan's not too late, you re-enter the exam into your UCAS for and all the unis will see that you're retaking it.
UCL English is very competitive. Maybe contact them through phone/email and see what they say. I know people who applied this year with A's at AS (including English) who were unsuccessful. There's plenty of great courses and unis out there though if you choose wisely. Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 7
Is remarking that risky? Just 2% more overall would give me a B, but then I might retake and try to get an A anyway. I'm guessing with a subject like English remarks can change things a lot unlike with Maths or something where there's one definite answer? But my school get UCAS sent off REALLY early, like end of September/early October even if you're not applying to Oxbridge/medicine etc :/ so is that C going to ruin my chances of getting anywhere really good, especially if the C isn't the least important subject that I drop?
I'm not sure if I even want to do English at uni that much cos I'm not AS upset as I thought I would be, I'd be more upset if the C was in History..but then again retaking that would be hell after all the work it took the first time round. I suppose I could do History instead at uni :s-smilie:, I did surprisingly well in that, but would it be a really big workload? I want to look at going to UCL too! It's unfair not to accept retakes, I was so stressed and exhausted the day of that exam thinking I had failed History the day before that I was sick for (threw up) :/ suppose I should have got a doctor exam consideration thing but I've heard that only affects it by like 1% anyway? Omg if it was 2%, AAAB :frown:..but I proabably would have got special consideration for History not English so I'd have AAAC anyway.
Sorry for waffling :smile: and thanks for replying everyone

Latest