The Student Room Group

geography a-level without gcse?

hi, i'm starting college in september, and i'm considering taking geography a-level, but i didn't study the subject at gcse (which i really regret). I am aware that i am still able to take the subject at a-level, but i was wondering how much it will hold me back having not taken the subject at gcse? thanks.
Reply 1
I did the GCSE, and it's mainly common sense tbh. Maybe brush up on rivers, landforms, hydrological cycle and key words :smile: It shudn't be too difficult.
Reply 2
ok will do thanks, but do you think i would be at any disadvantage? considering i'm hoping to get A/A*s in my a-levels, thanks
Reply 3
joe_c
ok will do thanks, but do you think i would be at any disadvantage? considering i'm hoping to get A/A*s in my a-levels, thanks

Nope. Just do some light reading up now and you'll be fine:yep:
Reply 4
ah ok, thats good to hear :smile: thanks a lot.
get yourself a general gcse geography book and have a look up, to be honest i think you will be fine, the only thing you might take a while to catch up on is some terminology but teachers tend to go over it all at a level because everyone forgets stuff from gcse. as long as you have a good english and maths gcse grade- i.e. at least a C you will be fine

good luck :smile:
GCSE geography is a joke and mostly common sense / general knowledge. It won't hinder you not having taken it.
get hold of a GCSE textbook and just read that.
You will fail. GCSE Geography was fairly easy, common sense. But I think you'll find applying the eas ystuff into essay form.
Reply 9
I agree about flicking through a GCSE textbook/revision guide. Otherwise should be fine :smile: the rest you will learn on the course.
I did it at GCSE. Had a nice 2 year nap...

Most boring subject I have ever taken...

But yes, its common sense.
Reply 11
ok, will have a look through my brothers textbook (he took gcse geog) then, thanks a lot for replies :smile:
Reply 12
joe_c
hi, i'm starting college in september, and i'm considering taking geography a-level, but i didn't study the subject at gcse (which i really regret). I am aware that i am still able to take the subject at a-level, but i was wondering how much it will hold me back having not taken the subject at gcse? thanks.

girl in my year took it at As level without having done the GCSE.... she ended up with the highest A in the year :smile:
Reply 13
It's worth a shot. AS geography (and to a certain extent A2 geography) is a lot of common sense.
At AS if you can construct paragraphs explaining something with half decent example and plenty of terminology then you're fine.
Half the people in my geography didn't do it at GCSE.
Reply 15
I think you'd be fine, just have a look through the GCSE text book beforehand.
Reply 16
hey im in the same boat now... wondering whether you chose to do it and if so how you found it?
Original post by joe_c
Reply 17
ah ok, thanks good to hear thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest