joe_c
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hi, i'm starting college in september, and i'm considering taking geography a-level, but i didn't study the subject at gcse (which i really regret). I am aware that i am still able to take the subject at a-level, but i was wondering how much it will hold me back having not taken the subject at gcse? thanks.
Junaid16
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did the GCSE, and it's mainly common sense tbh. Maybe brush up on rivers, landforms, hydrological cycle and key words It shudn't be too difficult.
joe_c
Rep:
?
ok will do thanks, but do you think i would be at any disadvantage? considering i'm hoping to get A/A*s in my a-levels, thanks
Junaid16
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by joe_c)
ok will do thanks, but do you think i would be at any disadvantage? considering i'm hoping to get A/A*s in my a-levels, thanks
Nope. Just do some light reading up now and you'll be fine:yep:
joe_c
Rep:
?
ah ok, thats good to hear thanks a lot.
nikki_louise
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
get yourself a general gcse geography book and have a look up, to be honest i think you will be fine, the only thing you might take a while to catch up on is some terminology but teachers tend to go over it all at a level because everyone forgets stuff from gcse. as long as you have a good english and maths gcse grade- i.e. at least a C you will be fine

good luck
PercyChatsworth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
GCSE geography is a joke and mostly common sense / general knowledge. It won't hinder you not having taken it.
KissMyArtichoke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
get hold of a GCSE textbook and just read that.
TheCurlyHairedDude
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You will fail. GCSE Geography was fairly easy, common sense. But I think you'll find applying the eas ystuff into essay form.
snoopy2310
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
I agree about flicking through a GCSE textbook/revision guide. Otherwise should be fine the rest you will learn on the course.
EternalDoom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did it at GCSE. Had a nice 2 year nap...

Most boring subject I have ever taken...

But yes, its common sense.
joe_c
Rep:
?
ok, will have a look through my brothers textbook (he took gcse geog) then, thanks a lot for replies
empop92
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by joe_c)
hi, i'm starting college in september, and i'm considering taking geography a-level, but i didn't study the subject at gcse (which i really regret). I am aware that i am still able to take the subject at a-level, but i was wondering how much it will hold me back having not taken the subject at gcse? thanks.
girl in my year took it at As level without having done the GCSE.... she ended up with the highest A in the year
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's worth a shot. AS geography (and to a certain extent A2 geography) is a lot of common sense.
At AS if you can construct paragraphs explaining something with half decent example and plenty of terminology then you're fine.
SatanIsAwesome
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Half the people in my geography didn't do it at GCSE.
Bee0076
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think you'd be fine, just have a look through the GCSE text book beforehand.
freya13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey im in the same boat now... wondering whether you chose to do it and if so how you found it?
(Original post by joe_c)
nsumiha
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ah ok, thanks good to hear Image thanks a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise