This discussion is closed.
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Well,

is anyone interested in a real programming challenge?
I'm going to rewrite from scratch an old version of my Media Player.

Take a look at the old version http://www.x-media.com.ar/

Anyone interested in joining the developing team?

Regards,
Mariano.

EI_123
Rep:
?
As this thread is gonna be off the main page if someone is interested please mail me or pm.

Regards,
Mariano.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what language are you using?
EI_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
what language are you using?
The first version was done in Visual Basic (amazing,right?), now I want it at least to be done in C\C++ and if I can handle it in assembly (masm).

Are you interested? Have you seen the first version?
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I will certainly help with the Linux development if you are at all interested. Can't help with windows. Oh, and I'm only interested in helping if its open source
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
The first version was done in Visual Basic (amazing,right?), now I want it at least to be done in C\C++ and if I can handle it in assembly (masm).

Are you interested? Have you seen the first version?
nah, i don't know enough about programming. i have a basic knowledge of C/C++, and i have built basic command-line applications, but never anything even as complicated as a window!
EI_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by capslock)
I will certainly help with the Linux development if you are at all interested. Can't help with windows. Oh, and I'm only interested in helping if its open source
No and again no.

I'm sorry, even when I have experience in Linux development (I've done a multiplatform Fax Sender Win/Lin) I don't want to do nothing else in that O.S.
I don't like Open Source, its a personal choice, I'm a professional programmer, I get paid for my work.

Regards,
Mariano.
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No and again no.

I'm sorry, even when I have experience in Linux development (I've done a multiplatform Fax Sender Win/Lin) I don't want to do nothing else in that O.S.
I don't like Open Source, its a personal choice, I'm a professional programmer, I get paid for my work.

Regards,
Mariano.
Hang on a minute, the whole idea of open source is promote personal choice! Priporitry software is development to SUPRESS personal choice.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Hang on a minute, the whole idea of open source is promote personal choice! Priporitry software is development to SUPRESS personal choice.
Open Source is what it names implies, I don't want anyone else from the Development team to see the code, just that.
When I said personal choice, I meant that it was MINE, that I choose to not develop Open Source projects.
Propietary Software keeps the secrets hidden.
EI_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
nah, i don't know enough about programming. i have a basic knowledge of C/C++, and i have built basic command-line applications, but never anything even as complicated as a window!
No problem, thank's anyway, have you seen the first version?
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Propietary Software keeps the secrets hidden.
Pfffft. It's precisely an attitude like that slows down academic progress.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Pfffft. It's precisely an attitude like that slows down academic progress.
I only want my own progress.
And if I do a real great program I want to keep the code for myself.

I don't support Open Source, I'm a professional programmer and I make my living with it.
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So you are asking if other people will work to you for free, just to further you're own personal progress?
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
capslock, you have no right to lecture Eternal Idol on his attitude in my opinion. If he makes a living out of programming then of course he should always attempt to achieve economic gain from his work.

Open Source is fine, but for people who have already made their mark financially. If I had already made my mark financially, my opinion would change towards this, but until then make as much money as you can.
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My point is that for such a project I think he would defenitly benefit from open source. It would promote people to contribute to it so that he could learn and become a better programmer.
EI_123
Rep:
?
So you are asking if other people will work to you for free, just to further you're own personal progress?
No, it's a team that works together, not a 'give it for free' source code.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My point is that for such a project I think he would defenitly benefit from open source. It would promote people to contribute to it so that he could learn and become a better programmer.
Point taken, and I see the obvious benefits from Open Source, but people who program for a living are wanting to retire early. Mostly, anyway.
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, it's a team that works together, not a 'give it for free' source code.
Fair enough, good luck finding people
EI_123
Rep:
?
I don't need to learn anything to do this project, I just don't have time enough, nowadays I'm programming in assembler for my own pleasure and C\C++ at work.
I've done this in VB and I'm going to rewrite it from scratch, I've the source code and it must be converted and improved with the new language.

This year I'm going to study with the Open University and keep working, so I need help, I don't think that this app will be sold, but your name in the credits could be a good thing to add to your C.V.

That's the benefit and progress that you can obtain with this project.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Fair enough, good luck finding people
We are already three men in the Development team.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (148)
60.66%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.51%
No- I want it (68)
27.87%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads