Is it possible to reject a clearing offer? Quick Please Watch

Pezzzz
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
ok so here is the situation,

I am interested in both uni A and uni B.
Uni B has given me an offer until midnight
Uni A has said that they may give me an offer tomorrow.

I want to go to A over B, but don't want to end up with no offer.

So could I accept the offer from uni B tonight. Then reject it tomorrow if uni A offers?

Responses ASAP please

Thanks
goldenGAZE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nope. You only have one choice. If you pick a clearing place and later decide you don't want it, i'm afraid the only option is to withdraw from ucas and apply nxt year.

EDIT: You can accept a verbal offer but when it comes to making the choice on ucas, you can only respond to 1. Hope i didn't confuse you (i just learnt all this today). Call up both uni's anyways.
Favourite Worst Nightmare
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pezzzz)
ok so here is the situation,

I am interested in both uni A and uni B.
Uni B has given me an offer until midnight
Uni A has said that they may give me an offer tomorrow.

I want to go to A over B, but don't want to end up with no offer.

So could I accept the offer from uni B tonight. Then reject it tomorrow if uni A offers?

Responses ASAP please

Thanks
Call up UCAS to ask.
katherine.485
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, its not possible. Once you accept a place you cannot switch for another. Universities dont allow it because otherwise people would be coming and going all the time and making it more difficult for universities to allocate places.
If i were in your situation i would wait for uni A. If they decline then you can always call uni B and ask them to reconsider. Hope this helped, good luck!
clementinek
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is the second time I've seen people giving out the wrong information!

You CAN withdraw from a clearing offer, it is just a bit more tricky and much less advisable. You need to contact the university who will contact ucas and you will be directed from there. In my personal situation, I had to call ucas and confirm what my university had told them to cancel it. It took ages for me and could for your university to release to if you accept it and there is no way it would be done tomorrow so this isn't a good plan OP.
Pezzzz
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Quote: Minerva (TSR mod with 9k posts)
from 'OMG I'm in clearing'

I accepted a Clearing offer but I’ve changed my mind
Your only option now is to withdraw from UCAS altogether for this year. It would be courteous to let the uni know you have done so, as soon as possible. Once you've accepted an offer through Clearing, you cannot change your mind and apply elsewhere.

So looks like it is a no...
clementinek
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pezzzz)
Quote: Minerva (TSR mod with 9k posts)
from 'OMG I'm in clearing'

I accepted a Clearing offer but I’ve changed my mind
Your only option now is to withdraw from UCAS altogether for this year. It would be courteous to let the uni know you have done so, as soon as possible. Once you've accepted an offer through Clearing, you cannot change your mind and apply elsewhere.

So looks like it is a no...
No, her information is incorrect. As i just said above, it is possible because I've done it.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by clementinek)
No, her information is incorrect. As i just said above, it is possible because I've done it.
Then you somehow managed to get round the system - my information is intended to be generic, and the official UCAS line is that you can't get out of a Clearing offer once it has been accepted by you.

OP - I think you should hang on for uni A. For uni B to try and 'bounce' you into a hasty decision doesn't bode well, to be honest. If uni A decide not to take you after all, then you can always try again with B. This is brinkmanship, it's true, and there is a risk it could go wrong, but there is also a risk that you take uni B's offer, and then drop out by Christmas.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Minerva)
Then you somehow managed to get round the system - my information is intended to be generic, and the official UCAS line is that you can't get out of a Clearing offer once it has been accepted by you.

OP - I think you should hang on for uni A. For uni B to try and 'bounce' you into a hasty decision doesn't bode well, to be honest. If uni A decide not to take you after all, then you can always try again with B. This is brinkmanship, it's true, and there is a risk it could go wrong, but there is also a risk that you take uni B's offer, and then drop out by Christmas.
The official UCAS line is that you also can't get your insurance to become your firm after the fourteen day grace period...
clementinek
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Indeed I think ucas even confuzzle themselves sometimes because they didn't know what I was talking about and I had to badger them to look at my application where another adviser had left a message that it was ok. I imagine it is not a very done thing and so it shouldn't be I guess!
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
The official UCAS line is that you also can't get your insurance to become your firm after the fourteen day grace period...
Yes that's true, but that operates at a time when the unis are not having to account for every single place taken up, several times over. Clearing is a totally different environment, one which gets more difficult every year. Therefore backing out of a Clearing choice is not a popular move and one which even Clementinek has acknowledged took time and effort to achieve - and it is my belief that she was lucky to get out of it what she wanted. Another UCAS adviser, a different uni might have reacted less helpfully. Therefore it should not ever be assumed that you can definitely get out of any accepted offer, but particularly not a Clearing one.

There was that guy that you and PQ helped to switch from UCL to LSE - that was a performance and a half and well before Results Day too.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes that's true, but that operates at a time when the unis are not having to account for every single place taken up, several times over. Clearing is a totally different environment, one which gets more difficult every year. Therefore backing out of a Clearing choice is not a popular move and one which even Clementinek has acknowledged took time and effort to achieve - and it is my belief that she was lucky to get out of it what she wanted. Another UCAS adviser, a different uni might have reacted less helpfully. Therefore it should not ever be assumed that you can definitely get out of any accepted offer, but particularly not a Clearing one.

There was that guy that you and PQ helped to switch from UCL to LSE - that was a performance and a half and well before Results Day too.
It was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment than a serious one (although it is true; you can get out of a Clearing offer, although can most definitely not bank on it)...

Oh god yes, that was a nightmare, although I think the main problem was lack of communication between the unis, UCAS and the applicant, plus some of it was taking place pretty close to Track lockdown. Still, got there in the end.

Thank you for reminding me of him as well - he was one of the people I've come across on TSR in the past few months that I was interested in knowing how it worked out for in the end.
Wing834
Report 8 years ago
I also have a similar question~
my firm choice QM rejected me, however im getting my papers remarked and they said they will accept me if i get the grades they asked for. However, its not guranteed that i will get the grades... so i am applying through clearing to another uni. But if i do get my wanted grades for QM, can i then reject the uni i chose through clearing?
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment than a serious one (although it is true; you can get out of a Clearing offer, although can most definitely not bank on it)...

Oh god yes, that was a nightmare, although I think the main problem was lack of communication between the unis, UCAS and the applicant, plus some of it was taking place pretty close to Track lockdown. Still, got there in the end.

Thank you for reminding me of him as well - he was one of the people I've come across on TSR in the past few months that I was interested in knowing how it worked out for in the end.
I've just looked - he hasn't posted for a few days. I hope that after all that he met his offer!
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Wing834)
I also have a similar question~
my firm choice QM rejected me, however im getting my papers remarked and they said they will accept me if i get the grades they asked for. However, its not guranteed that i will get the grades... so i am applying through clearing to another uni. But if i do get my wanted grades for QM, can i then reject the uni i chose through clearing?
If you add them as your Clearing choice, you override your firm and they are no longer able to change their decision about you.

However, you can contact unis about Clearing and gather unofficial offers, then (if you don't get the grades after the remarks), add one of them if their deadline is long enough.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've just looked - he hasn't posted for a few days. I hope that after all that he met his offer!
He bloody well better have, after all that effort PQ and I put in to sorting him out! :mad: :p:
Wing834
Report 8 years ago
^ my firm has already rejected me through UCAS... they just said that if u did get the grades, then they will re-accept me...
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you add them as your Clearing choice, you override your firm and they are no longer able to change their decision about you.

However, you can contact unis about Clearing and gather unofficial offers, then (if you don't get the grades after the remarks), add one of them if their deadline is long enough.
Is that right? I understood it was the other way round!

(Original post by PQ)
Help please!
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Wing834)
^ my firm has already rejected me through UCAS... they just said that if u did get the grades, then they will re-accept me...
Because you have until August 31st to fulfil the offer, your application is still open to them and they can change their mind about their decision over your application until you cannot fulfil the offer anymore.

However, adding a Clearing choice takes this away from them, because you're definitely no longer going there.
Wing834
Report 8 years ago
^^ oh god, then what am i going to do? i cant just wait and hope i get a higher grade... i mean if i dont, all the clearing spaces would be gone. any advice?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.91%
No I am happy with my course choice (390)
56.85%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.14%

Watched Threads