The Student Room Group

Some Odd Results - WJEC and AQA

Hi there,

Results today weren't quite as good as I'd hoped for, but what can you do. However, there were a few that didn't quite seem to fit.

WJEC ICT for example. My coursework seems to have been moderated down from 95% to 60%. That's quite a drop. The written paper came out 'C' as well. I am sure it's incorrect, as it just seems odd... But i'm not a gambling man and don't want it to go down. Do you think it's worth re-marking?

Also, AQA Philosophy. There have been musings that their marking has been "interesting". Does anyone have information on that topic?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Can I just point out that my coursework was marked down from 100% to 78%. That cost me my A. Everyone who got 100% in my college also dropped by the same amount and in fact everybody in the college dropped percentage. WJEC are terrible for ICT they did similar fixing of results in the IT papers. its amazing they get away with this.
Reply 2
I went into my AQA AS psychology exam (Im an A2 student but needed this qualification) on an A. The exams were equal weighting, no coursework and I came out with a C overall. I thought I smashed that exam, I can't fathom how I got an E. But I dont know if I'm gonna pay for the remarking, might just attempt to resit.
AQA gave me U in French, I was predicted an A/B- but expecting a C at the worst. FML.

Here's my thread :'(

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=27067920#post27067920
I keep posting this everywhere, but I was predicted A in my biology practical for WJEC and got a U!! 11/60 apparently! I don't know how the hell that happened seeing as I followed the specification exactly. Brought my overall grade from an A to a C. :frown:
Reply 5
I went in and out of my AQA Philosophy exam feeling really confident, but then came out with a D.
I got a C for Unit One and E for Unit Two, which was really unexpected because over the course of Year 12, I got praise from my essays and mock exams.
I'm going to get my Unit 2 exam re-checked, but I'll probably have to re-sit Unit 2 altogether, but thats something I'm really hoping to avoid.
Reply 6
My WJEC biology BY6 was a very random E, which didn't fit with the rest of my marks, despite doing everything well (I was told). So my biol is AAA, AAE, hence I got a B overall :frown:. Luckily it didn't cost me uni, but I think it's a bit odd. I'm not the only one with this notable discrepancy either :/
Reply 7
Same with WJEC.
I got on my computing coursework 83/100. then on UMS it was 43/60 which is a C
hmmm... Oh well I got a B overall which is what I needed.
Jacob_Heb
My WJEC biology BY6 was a very random E, which didn't fit with the rest of my marks, despite doing everything well (I was told). So my biol is AAA, AAE, hence I got a B overall :frown:. Luckily it didn't cost me uni, but I think it's a bit odd. I'm not the only one with this notable discrepancy either :/

Omg I'm glad I'm not the only one! There MUST be something wrong. That result just doesn't fit with your others, and neither did mine either. I wonder how many people this happened to?
Reply 9
For my English Language AS (AQA) thought I'd nailed the paper, not gonna lie, came out with a C. Coursework, the school told me I'd got 71/80. I got a D.

About 15 of us have missed our uni offers thanks to this - seems to have affected our entire centre. Fingers ******* crossed it's a cock-up, I wanna go to Uni ffs! :frown:
Reply 10
AQA AS History - There were 2 modules, most people did quite well in the first one but the second module seemed quite off, everyone got 20-50 marks less in that module in my class! The teacher was expecting mostly As and a few Bs but most people came out with Cs and Bs.
In AQA english lit AS I got a C. Was supposed to get an A/B. Our English Dept. is asking for a remark of our papers. Fingers crossed.
I F***ing HATE WJEC!!!! WORST EXAM BOARD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEY SHOULD ROT IN HELL!!!! :angry:
Thanks to them, I have a C in my statement of results! They gave me a D for my Media Representation.
I was atleast hoping for a B! =(
:frown:
I was predicted an A and got a C.
interesting, i got my results for WJEC english lit, which told me i got a C for my coursework. my teachers estimated a 'high band four' for my first draft, surely even that is higher than a C considering there are only 5 bands, right?

edit -- not that i'm really bothered - the exam pulled my grade up to the B i needed and i still got into the firm choice
Reply 14
AQA Philosophy was really weird. We did the first unit in Jan and I got an A, along with many people in my class. We did the unit 2 this summer, and everyone has come out much worse than expected for that unit. People who got A's in Jan got C's, D's and E's in the summer exam.

Seriously, I don'y know anyone from my class who got better than a C in the unit 2 exam, and most got an A or B in January.

Most freaky. Any ideas on what we can do to try and figure out what's gone wrong? :/
Reply 15
Yes sane here I got totally opposite results wjec AS ICT I got B in C/W and the exam I thought I did really well but ended up with a U I'm not happy at all I really think I got like a C or nit higher on the exam
My friend in Year 12 did AS WJEC I.T and came out with a C, he's really gutted and confused as to how he came out with such a low grade, he's intelligent! Bloody WJEC.
Reply 17
I was one mark away from my C becoming a D in my weightier philosophy exam (AQA) which is insane because I revised like hell, understood everything in the exam, finished my questions and wrote them the same as I would in class (where I usually get Bs and As, the last mock I did before the exam I was on about 90%) so I expected 70% at the worst.... my other paper is a mid B but I'm really confused about the C one....
who knows?
and wtf is up with WJEC? I've heard of changing grade boundaries, but changing percentage marks?? is that possible?
Reply 18
I know a lot of people with this unit 2 philosophy problem..i fortunately seemed to have avoided it and managed an A but i know some very intelligent people who have suffered on the unit 2..seems like a cock up in marking.
Reply 19
AQA English Literature has caused me deep pain. Sigh. LOL

OCR was the only exam board which was nice to me :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest