The Student Room Group

Some Odd Results - WJEC and AQA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
this year I went for remark in my Business exam which I got 78/100 I hoped to get 80/100 (A) but my UMS went down from 78 to 70 and cost me an overall B to a C. the exam system is flawed. not reliable atall.
Reply 81
Told i would absolutely ace my French speaking exam (with AQA) and i came out with an E. Also on AQA, my entire class got E-C in the written exam. So both my French and English teachers are complaining.
Reply 82
IM GONA ASK my teacher about the wjec ict result!!!..not fair!
lowering marks and fiddling with the c/w
Reply 83
whatajoker
Same with WJEC.
I got on my computing coursework 83/100. then on UMS it was 43/60 which is a C
hmmm... Oh well I got a B overall which is what I needed.

I got 97/100 in my computing coursework for WJEC, and they didn't bring it down for UMS.

However, everyone in my group got a U in the exam with around 30% of the marks. Whole department agreed it must be a mistake...
I resat my WJEC English Language exam which I got a B in the first time and got a D. :sexface:
For AQA, AS psychology i got a B overall, a B in unit 1 and an A in unit 2. I got 159/200 UMS is this just a B? How do i check grade boundaries as a whole?
needssomehelpplease
For AQA, AS psychology i got a B overall, a B in unit 1 and an A in unit 2. I got 159/200 UMS is this just a B? How do i check grade boundaries as a whole?

I checked mine on the back of one of the results papers you get in the envelope, can't remember which one.
Hattie.
For my English Language AS (AQA) thought I'd nailed the paper, not gonna lie, came out with a C. Coursework, the school told me I'd got 71/80. I got a D.

About 15 of us have missed our uni offers thanks to this - seems to have affected our entire centre. Fingers ******* crossed it's a cock-up, I wanna go to Uni ffs! :frown:

ME TOO! Well, the exam part anyway, sending mine off for a remark first thing Monday morning. I'm taking AQA down!

billieerin23
OK, I think we need to send all our English AQA AS levels in for a re-mark. There's clearly been some kind of marking mishap here (she says hopefully). I should be getting my photocopy posted through my door within a few days and will tell you all then what brought my exam paper down from its predicted A to a D, despite me never getting below an A except for one B in my whole year of studying AS English. I am not a happy bunny. If this is AQA's fault I'm actually going to ask the school to switch boards when they can.

I'm definitely going for a remark! I'm not being arrogant, but I've got the best marks in my class through the whole year, and now I've come out with a low C?! What is going on?!?!

BethSwift
AQA Philosophy was really weird. We did the first unit in Jan and I got an A, along with many people in my class. We did the unit 2 this summer, and everyone has come out much worse than expected for that unit. People who got A's in Jan got C's, D's and E's in the summer exam.

Seriously, I don'y know anyone from my class who got better than a C in the unit 2 exam, and most got an A or B in January.

Most freaky. Any ideas on what we can do to try and figure out what's gone wrong? :/

I got 91 and an A in Unit One, taken in June at the same time as Unit Two, then I got 58 and a D for Unit Two!! I don't know what's going on here, I thought Unit 1 had gone terrible, but it turns out that I aced it then did bad in the one I thought I'd done well in! That's another remark for me!! :rolleyes:
billieerin23
OK, I think we need to send all our English AQA AS levels in for a re-mark. There's clearly been some kind of marking mishap here (she says hopefully). I should be getting my photocopy posted through my door within a few days and will tell you all then what brought my exam paper down from its predicted A to a D, despite me never getting below an A except for one B in my whole year of studying AS English. I am not a happy bunny. If this is AQA's fault I'm actually going to ask the school to switch boards when they can.

Exactly the same situation as me! Predicted an A, got an a in the coursework, but got a C in the exam! Its really annoying, and this has made me a bit more confident that it was not me :woo:
Reply 89
Exactly the same problem guys. I had been getting A's all year in my mocks then come summer (We took both units then) I came out with a C. With a D on unit 2. This was very odd, as no one in our class managed above a C. My unit 1 paper was ok, at a B but the unit 2 was totally a surprise. Anyway my school are asking for a re call on the papers as some people in our class really should not have come out with those results. I really hope it's a mistake by AQA!
Reply 90
Althorne
Hi there,

Results today weren't quite as good as I'd hoped for, but what can you do. However, there were a few that didn't quite seem to fit.

WJEC ICT for example. My coursework seems to have been moderated down from 95% to 60%. That's quite a drop. The written paper came out 'C' as well. I am sure it's incorrect, as it just seems odd... But i'm not a gambling man and don't want it to go down. Do you think it's worth re-marking?

Also, AQA Philosophy. There have been musings that their marking has been "interesting". Does anyone have information on that topic?

Cheers

Yes AQA Philosophy gave us some very odd marks... those predicted A's came out with C's and lower... We're very worried!
Reply 91
Jasepii
I went in and out of my AQA Philosophy exam feeling really confident, but then came out with a D.
I got a C for Unit One and E for Unit Two, which was really unexpected because over the course of Year 12, I got praise from my essays and mock exams.
I'm going to get my Unit 2 exam re-checked, but I'll probably have to re-sit Unit 2 altogether, but thats something I'm really hoping to avoid.

i keep seeing stories similar to this and mine is the same.... hopefully if enough people complain they'll take this seriously?
Reply 92
I do AQA Philosophy, well I thought that it was "Religious Studies".

Anyway, I got a strong A in Unit 1. Then, Unit 2, where you can almost prepare for the exam completely apart from one small element of the question. I prepared for Euthanasia, in the Medical Ethics section, I got very good A's in several mocks, with different questions, the actual exam question was brilliant for me, I wrote it out as well as I could have hoped, expecting a good A.

When I got an A, I was just bemused. Maybe on a bad day, if I messed up without knowing some quotes, or just getting some things wrong by accident, I could maybe understand a B, but... a D?

My teachers told me that there clearly must have been a mistake and they are going to check it out, I suppose I won't find out until I go back to College in a couple of weeks or so. But it is sort of comforting that others have experience this and it may be a marking error.

Anybody else in a similar position?

Actually, I think it may have been "Edexcel Religious Studies".
Reply 93
This has happened to me, I was expecting an A tbh at the very least a C and I got a D. I know I did well in the exam, there was nothing more I could have written. Everyone else who took English lit in my college got extremely bad results so my school have sent our papers back to be remarked and have recalled our papers. A girl who was predicted an A* and was offered a place at cambridge got a U. It just made no sense, so I'm glad to hear this was not an isolated problem. It's a problem with AQA, they must have made some sort of error, it's the only explanation. I don't think one person at my college got above a D.
Reply 94
Yeah, it seems to be quite widespread. Could be some kind of grade fixing, or just markers who've had too much coffee. I guess re-marks are the way to go, as well as pokeing the board. It all seems very strange. Glad to see i'm not the only one though. Although i'd be glad if everyone got the grades they were meant to -.-" would save much hassle
Reply 95
In my college loads of people are complaing about the AQA English lit paper, because most people have Bs and As in coursework and then Es and Us in the exam, they're trying to get a remark.
Reply 96
misshape
In my college loads of people are complaing about the AQA English lit paper, because most people have Bs and As in coursework and then Es and Us in the exam, they're trying to get a remark.

Exactly the same! I got full marks in my coursework, and an E on the paper! The same went for most of my class.
Reply 97
in both my written wxams for bio an chem, i got Us which i found really strange because i found them ok an i put so much work in, i couldnt have done anymore :mad: so now i have awful as and am going to have to resit
AQA Geography, high As in every single module, and in the final exam they gave me a D (in a completely common-sense, easy exam), which cost me my A*! I've never got a D in anything before!

AQA AS Philosophy two years ago as well, (back when it was a 6-unit A-level), I got 96% in the hardest module (Epistemology), and then a high B (78%) in the second hardest (Morals and Ethics) and 63% in by FAR the easiest module (set texts - Sartre). And the weird thing is, literally half the paper, we'd written model answers for in class, meaning that I scored 13% out of 50% on the half that was new to us, which was STILL easy! Got it challenged (dragged down my overall grade to a B) and the remark came back putting my grade back up to an A!

I hate AQA.
Reply 99
how can you request for the AQA AS english lit exams to be remarked? is there still enough time? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest