The Student Room Group

Should people on the dole and students be made to work?

Should people on the dole and students be made to work? Like people on the dole could do some 'community service' type jobs which would help them whilst helping the community at the same time. It would put them to good use. And students over the age of 16+ be made to work on weekends and during off-term time (summer, xmas etc etc) in the same way, doing 'community service' type work. It will be good all round, the jobseekers and students would get the opportunity to gain skills and experience. It will also help the economy if they are employed by the local councils to do work around the area, because the government won't have to spend as much hiring and paying employees and contracting companies to do these jobs.
Also, should everyone over the age of sixteen, including the sixth formers pay for their education instead of the government? I think they should, schools are under-funded enough as it is and they could do with the extra funds not paid to post-16 education. It isn't sustainable, the government have more important things to spend revenues on.

Scroll to see replies

AntiNazi league
Should people on the dole and students be made to work? Like people on the dole could do some 'community service' type jobs which would help them whilst helping the community at the same time. It would put them to good use. And students over the age of 16+ be made to work on weekends and during off-term time (summer, xmas etc etc) in the same way, doing 'community service' type work. It will be good all round, the jobseekers and students would get the opportunity to gain skills and experience. It will also help the economy if they are employed by the local councils to do work around the area, because the government won't have to spend as much hiring and paying employees and contracting companies to do these jobs.
Also, should everyone over the age of sixteen, including the sixth formers pay for their education instead of the government? I think they should, schools are under-funded enough as it is and they could do with the extra funds not paid to post-16 education. It isn't sustainable, the government have more important things to spend revenues on.

not really, education is the government's main aim, havent u heard blair always yap on about it.

if it wasnt spent on education, it wud only go in the pockets of rich guys anyway.

and i dont see how u r comparing people on th dole to students. students r workin hard in order to get a career, people on the dole do nothin and get money, its a stupid comparison.

and yes, they r "students" - kids in education really, whereas people on the dole r adults.
Reply 2
AntiNazi league

What like spending money on wars? Manipulating the media? No I think its a bad idea, education should be free for all. I'm sorry that one of my main beleifs as everybody in society that wants it should have the right to education at any level they are capable of.
Reply 4
Making students work at weekends is a terrible idea.
Bigcnee
Making students work at weekends is a terrible idea.

its the complete oppostie of what shud be done.

education must be free for all. it must be.
Reply 6
bono
its the complete oppostie of what shud be done.

education must be free for all. it must be.

Maskel I never thought I would say this but I agree with you 100%.
The way Anti Nazi League puts it in his opening statement sounds a lot like what Hitler did during the 30s - do u mean for GB to mobilise so that we can go to war. Anyway too much control would lead to resentment - what a student does with his/her time is his/her perogative
amazingtrade
Maskel I never thought I would say this but I agree with you 100%.

:wink:

if it wasnt, what would happen?

the potentially very clever kids get denied education coz their parents dont hav the cash.

the les cleverer rich kids can coz they r really lucky.

oxbridge go back to elitism again and with their stereotypes being truer. its completely wrong, u gotta giv kids the oppurtunity. u cud be denying some of britains future stars. just aint fair - a child shouldnt be punished coz dad hasnt got enough coins.
They should work it so that anyone who's been on the dole for longer than a year, is automatically enrolled in the army. Students shouldn't be expected to work.
a_musical_guy
They should work it so that anyone who's been on the dole for longer than a year, is automatically enrolled in the army. Students shouldn't be expected to work.

exactly - students are working - very hard (well, most of em). this is what britain needs, an educated society with a strong workforce.
people on the dole are supposed to be 'seeking' a job, but too many aren't bothering.
Reply 12
Holding down a part time job seriously undermines academic performance. I would never attempt to work whilst in school again.
Reply 13
fishpaste
Holding down a part time job seriously undermines academic performance. I would never attempt to work whilst in school again.

Many people haven't got a choice. This is down to the financial strain that being in higher education causes.
Reply 14
Bigcnee
Many people haven't got a choice. This is down to the financial strain that being in higher education causes.

I know, huge kudos to them, I'm so grateful that I don't. I once heard a Cambridge admissions tutor say he would prefer somebody who held down a job to support their family than somebody with a grade 8 piano etc, which I thought was cool.
Reply 15
I say this time and time again, I am border line working/middle class, i have been bought up in a middle class background both parents had good jobs etc but we don't have much money.

However I think education should be free for all so if your from a working class family with no money and live on a council estate those people should be entitled to a good education if they want it. My uncle came form a council estate we went to university got a good degree, he is now earn £70k a year even if he did graduate in the early 70's.

If students had to work all weekend then thier studies may suffer. I do work part time myself delevering leaflets and running an ebay business but I don't let it effect my studies.
Reply 16
First things first. Are you speaking for the ANL or do you just call yourself ANL? Just curious. Anyway, besides the point. Let me pick up on some of your proposals.

No. It won't help the economy. How can using cheap labor to do "community service" add anything to the economy because the "government (doesn't) have to spend as much hiring employees and contracting companies" Seems to me that your proposals would lead to job losses rather than do anything to help the economy.

What do you mean.......students......should be made to work? Why should students give up valuable time when they could be studying (or earning money in the private sector) so they can spend it weeding the sidewalks for $40 a week?

What skills and experience do you think you will get doing the type of work that councils at the moment don't think are even worth doing?

And no. Students, even "rich" ones should NOT be made to pay for post-16 education.
Reply 17
a_musical_guy

Oh, nice. So, anyone that cannot or will not work is suitable military material? I'm sure all the NCO's would really thankyou for sending them a fresh bunch of workshy fops every year.
bono
and yes, they r "students" - kids in education really, whereas people on the dole r adults.

What the over 16 year olds are kids? No they're not they are young adults. My brother left school at 16 and got a full-time job and moved into his own flat with his girlfriend, whereas people his age are acting like kids and messing around at sixth form smoking weed and stuff.
For example in WW1 and WW2 many 16 year olds were fighting in battles, today many of the 16 year olds see education as an excuse to doss around for two years and then go to university and doss around and party for another years. Really they are worse than people on the dole because at least people on the dole are trying to find work at the jobcentre. Sixth formers and university are just wasting tax payers money, which is why they should work and/or pay for their education if they want it. Maybe that would stop the dossers because people who really want to learn will only be in sixth form and university. And by the way I think you can claim jobseekers at 16 yrs old anyway. I am doing my GCSEs and when I leave I will be going straght into work instead of being a dosser.
Reply 19
AntiNazi league
What the over 16 year olds are kids? No they're not they are young adults. My brother left school at 16 and got a full-time job and moved into his own flat with his girlfriend, whereas people his age are acting like kids and messing around at sixth form smoking weed and stuff.
For example in WW1 and WW2 many 16 year olds were fighting in battles, today many of the 16 year olds see education as an excuse to doss around for two years and then go to university and doss around and party for another years. Really they are worse than people on the dole because at least people on the dole are trying to find work at the jobcentre. Sixth formers and university are just wasting tax payers money, which is why they should work and/or pay for their education if they want it. Maybe that would stop the dossers because people who really want to learn will only be in sixth form and university. And by the way I think you can claim jobseekers at 16 yrs old anyway. I am doing my GCSEs and when I leave I will be going straght into work instead of being a dosser.

I am sorry to see this but I think you are extremely void of any education and the facts. There are some idiots in university education but I can assure you studying at a top 70 university (pun entented) that these students the minority.

Most university students are very hard working, I revised till 3:00am last night and my exams are not even till late Jan. My sister is at sixth form hardly ever goes out (well once a month) and always has her head in a book doing revision.

I find your view rather offensive especialy coming on a student site saying that.

Latest

Trending

Trending