Should people on the dole and students be made to work? Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Also lets crap university and lets scrap the UK econemy. Lets not invent things, we invented the world and that is because of education. Tim Burner's Lee would have not invented the world wide web if it were not for his high level of British Education. Not to even mention medicine, law, I could go on and on. But why am I wasting my time speaking to plebs?
AntiNazi league
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
They should work it so that anyone who's been on the dole for longer than a year, is automatically enrolled in the army. Students shouldn't be expected to work.
Students should be sent to the TA on weekends as well if they don't get all A's 100%.

Actually thats a good idea, any student that doesn't get all A's 100% in an assessment designed to weed out dossers set on a regular basis, then they get expelled from sixth form/university and enlisted or put into work.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh and by the way sunshine, I will probably end up paying a lot more tax than you ever will do.
AntiNazi league
(Original post by amazingtrade)
oh and by the way sunshine, I will probably end up paying a lot more tax than you ever will do.
For being in a job where everyone below you does the graft and you get carried. Overpaid doss job.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by AntiNazi league)
For being in a job where everyone below you does the graft and you get carried. Overpaid doss job.
Yes I will be manager have a lot of responsability for my staff and firm. If somthing goes wrong I will be to blame. But then you would have never had any management experience.

I could have easily been a builder or somthing, I am re-wiring my bedroom, adding a new socket, installing flush fit sockets and putting new skirt boards in tomorrow. I would have hated doing that for a job because I wouldn't have to use my brain.
AntiNazi league
(Original post by DanMushMan)
people on the dole are supposed to be 'seeking' a job, but too many aren't bothering.
How do you know though? I thought they get struck off if they aren't actively seeking?
AntiNazi league
Yes I will be manager have a lot of responsability for my staff and firm. If somthing goes wrong I will be to blame. But then you would have never had any management experience.

I could have easily been a builder or somthing, I am re-wiring my bedroom, adding a new socket, installing flush fit sockets and putting new skirt boards in tomorrow. I would have hated doing that for a job because I wouldn't have to use my brain.
You don't have to have a brain to be a manager either at the end of the day. Just dish out orders to people who do the work while you sit in an office twiddling your thumbs.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You don't have to have a brain to be a manager either at the end of the day. Just dish out orders to people who do the work while you sit in an office twiddling your thumbs.
Yes and if you that the staff will all work out. I am into computing anyway programming the technology you are using now. Its called TCP/IP.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

That's why you need a degree, an IQ of 120+, and a fresh, clear thinking ability.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am doing my GCSEs and when I leave I will be going straght into work instead of being a dosser.

No! Look you can write a full paragraph correctly! Which is more than a lot of FE students!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You may think it's very nobel to leave school at 16 and work very hard, but just remember, a machine can probably do your job 1000x better than you can. A machine probably can't do the job of a CEO, or systems adviser, or mathematician, or graphic designer etc.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
You may think it's very nobel to leave school at 16 and work very hard, but just remember, a machine can probably do your job 1000x better than you can. A machine probably can't do the job of a CEO, or consultant, or CEO, or mathematician, or graphic designer etc.
Exactly, I read a report in the Guardian that somebody that leaves school at 16 is not ever likely to earn more than £20k unless they go back to education.

In a world when most people have A levels and more and more are getting degrees by leaving school at 16 you are counting yourself out of the higher job market.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exactly, I read a report in the Guardian that somebody that leaves school at 16 is not ever likely to earn more than £20k unless they go back to education.

In a world when most people have A levels and more and more are getting degrees by leaving school at 16 you are counting yourself out of the higher job market.
Yes, without Alevels and a degree, the only wage you can command is a wage lower than the running cost of capital, and if you cost less than a machine, then you're not worth much.

(I do realise this neglects the skills such as plumbers or electricians, but even they need vocational study.)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
30.77%
No (15)
57.69%
Don't know (3)
11.54%

Watched Threads