This discussion is closed.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Well well, I have changed my mindset after the cambridge rejection and decided firmly on York. Just thought I'd seek out some people who are seriously thinking of going there, especially to study philosophy!

P.S edit...

I will definitely consider reapplying to cambridge if i get all A's.
onearmedscissor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Well well, I have changed my mindset after the cambridge rejection and decided firmly on York. Just thought I'd seek out some people who are seriously thinking of going there, especially to study philosophy!
York is an extremely underrated University, it's lucky you're doing an Arts subject and aren't job hungry.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by onearmedscissor)
York is an extremely underrated University, it's lucky you're doing an Arts subject and aren't job hungry.
Is being the Sunday Times university of the year and being in the top ten not good enough then?

Jesus I can't believe how much fuss some people make over university. York is a very good uni at anybodies standard.

My sister has applied there not sure what though but its some BA subject and its not media studies.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Is being the Sunday Times university of the year and being in the top ten not good enough then?

Jesus I can't believe how much fuss some people make over university. York is a very good uni at anybodies standard.

My sister has applied there not sure what though but its some BA subject and its not media studies.
I think you and I are on the same side, I was merely saying out of the better Universities it seems to be the one in the dark. One thing I've been amused about when looking at this forum is at the amount of people that are ready to off themselves if they don't get into Oxbridge. Narrow thinkers, little life experience. :/
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think you and I are on the same side, I was merely saying out of the better Universities it seems to be the one in the dark. One thing I've been amused about when looking at this forum is at the amount of people that are ready to off themselves if they don't get into Oxbridge. Narrow thinkers, little life experience. :/
Yeah I think you're right. I can understand if you have a grade why you want to go to the best university you can get into but you can go to many different universities and still have a very sucessful career.

All the top 30 universities must be at a very good standard.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought about applying there for Politics, but I didn't in the end. It's a well regarded University, and I'd love to actually live in York. It's so pretty there.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I thought about applying there for Politics, but I didn't in the end. It's a well regarded University, and I'd love to actually live in York. It's so pretty there.
I think I'm gonna end up at Birmingham, and I couldn't care if it isn't as good as Oxbridge.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
Yeah York is one of the few cities in the UK I've been to and actually fell in love with the place. I've heared the night life is a bit dead though.

When I am older I can see myself having an apartment via the River Ouse, though it may flood.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yeah York is one of the few cities in the UK I've been to and actually fell in love with the place. I've heared the night life is a bit dead though.

When I am older I can see myself having an apartment via the River Ouse, though it may flood.
Well it's quite respectable, and it's only an hour from where I live which is a perfect location - not close enough to stay at home but not too far that I get homesick!
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
York is my 2nd choice for Chemistry as they offer BBC, it is a great uni, it would have been my first choice if the offer had been higher
gumbald
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
...and it's well known that York had 365 pubs at the last count, 1 for every day of the year, which can't be a bad thing...
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well after getting rejected by cambridge, I selected York as my firm choice. Got the audit letter on saturday, so as long as I get the grades I'm off to study Comp Sci (MEng with a year in industry) there from october
clairewilson78
Report 16 years ago
York is a great uni..i know many people who went there....and it is considered one of the top unis...just gets overshadowed by the whole Oxbridge thing. The norths alternative! And yes York is fantastic for pubs! I lived down south for couple of years but originally from Beverley (about 30 miles south of york)..and have always loved york for pubs and shops! The staple student existence! Whoever chooses york...good uni,,great place! (and york men pretty nice too!) Seriously though, york is beautiful, lots of historic buildings, the river running through it...and a very friendly atmosphere too. I guarantee you'll love it if you go! I know 5 people who went to uni there from all over the country..and 4 of them still live there almost ten years later! So can't be bad!
YouKnewThat!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think I'm gonna end up at Birmingham, and I couldn't care if it isn't as good as Oxbridge.
Birmingham's 'mazin!
Saintsin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

P.S edit...

Im from York and if you wish I can answer questions about the night life, the center, the shops and other leasure facilities. Unfortunately I can't say alot about the university as I only been there once on the open day and got rejected, ironic since Cambridge accepted me, but I would have not minded York as it would have been very cheap for me and its a very high ranking university.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

P.S edit...

I'm glad to here that, go for it girl!!!
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

P.S edit...

Rather pointless tbh, wasting a year because of a pipe dream, get a hold of yourself and realise there's more to life.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think its a bit of a gamble cos theres no guarantee that they will accept you even if you do get all As and you would have to reject the York offer in order to reapply, you couldnt defer it. If Cambridge is what you really want then who are we to piss on your dreams you could get some really good experience in your gap year and because you will already have your grades you should get offers easily enough next year.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Grades don't mean all that much applying for Oxbridge though becuase nearly everyone will have/be predicted AAA so if your personality didn't click with them last time it won't this time - it'd be such a waste of a year. But that's just my opinion.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peapod)
Grades don't mean all that much applying for Oxbridge though becuase nearly everyone will have/be predicted AAA so if your personality didn't click with them last time it won't this time - it'd be such a waste of a year. But that's just my opinion.
I got pooled last time so something obviously clicked.

My ASs were appalling and I blame them for the majority of my downfall.

I'll be more motivated to get better results for A2 if i think i'll reapply.

I'm only 50-50 on the reapply, even after good grades.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (445)
59.02%
Yes- I don't like it (42)
5.57%
No- I want it (217)
28.78%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise