Don't think I'm cut out for it!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
worriedguest
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,
I have applied to Cambridge to study Law and am waiting for the response, but I have been getting a little worried about my ability to cope there? I wonder how do Cambridge students cope with the rigours. The study seems to be so intensive and I don't want to set myself up to fail (if I am offered a place which I probably won't be).
The truth is that although I have good GCSE and A Level grades I have suffered from an eating disorder in the past as a consequence of trying to push myself too much, and I would hate to be offered a place, take it up and then end up dropping out cos I can't hack it, so should I consider going somewhere else if I am offered a place?
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by worriedguest)
Hi,
I have applied to Cambridge to study Law and am waiting for the response, but I have been getting a little worried about my ability to cope there? I wonder how do Cambridge students cope with the rigours. The study seems to be so intensive and I don't want to set myself up to fail (if I am offered a place which I probably won't be).
The truth is that although I have good GCSE and A Level grades I have suffered from an eating disorder in the past as a consequence of trying to push myself too much, and I would hate to be offered a place, take it up and then end up dropping out cos I can't hack it, so should I consider going somewhere else if I am offered a place?
In the long-run...your health matters above all else...but do you really think that going to cambridge will mean you push yourself too much?

I'm applying for law too...i got an offer...and i've also heard that it's really tough...but you wouldn't be in the pool unless they thought you have the intelligence and ability to cope with the pressure!

Anyway...you shouldn't worry too much at the moment...wait and see what their decision is...then make your decision....good luck

G
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi,
I would give anything for a place at Cambridge (I have been pooled and probably rejected) and so would many people. However, that isn't really the point. From what I have seen of Cambridge it is very hard work. Having said that the tutors will have seen your potential and will only give you a place if they feel you can hack it.

People can overwork and get ill anywhere, be it uni or a job. The most important thing is to not let yourself get that stressed out. An ex-girlfriend of mine had an eating disorder due to stress and over-work. Stress is something one has to learn to control in any environment.

To be honest I think if you get a place at Cambridge you should take it up. You are the judge of how hard you work. Hard work is vital in many walks of life. In the run-up to my interview I would work at school from 9-6 and then work until 12 or 1 in the evening. I managed to survive but I couldn't have done it very long term. People are different and I'm sure tutors etc will be willing to talk and understanding if you feel too stressed out.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do. Also I am taking a year out so that I can get away from the type of work which has dominated the last 5 years of my life!

Adam
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi,
Just go to the served food and eat there, at least in my college, it's sufficiently fatty enough to not only sustain you but put a few tyres on!

More seriously I think it's worth a try, and if you told the college nurse when you arrived they'd probably make checks on you to makesure that you are coping.

Alaric.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
health > university choice
way2go
Report 16 years ago
Hi,
Choose Cambridge. The collegiate community will look after you and the personal tutor-student relationship will enable you much more easier to talk about your problems. Furthermore the vacations are much longer, so that you will spend most of your time at your parents place.

If you don't choose for Cambridge, given your grades you will probably end up at another good university, like York, Warwick, IC or whatever, right? The workload at those universities will be similar. However, at these universities there will not be someone looking after you. In this environment your problems will much more easier get out of hand.
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi,
Have you had a response from Cambridge yet? If they do make you an offer, one thing to be aware of is that you don't have to stay if you find it's too much to cope with. I know somebody who started at one of the U of L colleges and had some illness or emotional problems, can't remember exactly, and left for a year. During that year the person applied to Cambridge and got a place, transferred from U of L to Cam, and is now doing well there. Someone else I know was suffering from stress at Cambridge and took a year out, lived at home and worked in a lab, then went back to the Cam college and finished the course with a much more relaxed attitude and did fine. So once you start it's not like being on a conveyer belt and the only way off is to crash.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ermm u people seem to be taking things way too far, im doing law at oxford and ok its intensive but its not severely damaging to your health! if you have the ability to cope with the workload you will get an offer, if you don't then you wont so you wont be worrying about it anyway.
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm concerned about the societies at Cambridge. Are they super duper competitive? Is there a hope of making it in debating if you've not done it at school?
as1
Report 16 years ago
Hey,

I think tagzt is generally right. Tutors make offers to people who they feel will be able to cope in an Oxbridge enivronment. A friend of mine is went to study Physics at Oxford and found it very hard; complaining that he didn't seem to have the 'same type of physics mind as everyone else'. Anyway, his college (and this is true of most places) let him change to English and he is alot happier now!

Cambridge has one of the lowest drop-out rates of any University in the country!

Debating is a tough one. There is no reason why you couldn't join and be very succesful but I would be warey of people who are going to arrive at Oxbridge very good debating (because they both have very strong unions). From what I've been told though, the societies are no more competative than other universities!

Andrew
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads