Tampon gets increasingly hard to insert over course of period. Why? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi All,

Anon please as this is kind of personal.

On the first day of my period when I start using tampons, they go in easily and painlessly, as they should. However, over the next couple of days tampons gets harder to insert, it often feels like they're hitting some resistance that stops them going in as far as they should. I've been using tampons for about three years, but this problem has appeared the last three or four times I've had a period.

Does anyone else have this problem, or know what it could be and what to do about it?

Many Thanks
MissyP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi All,

Anon please as this is kind of personal.

On the first day of my period when I start using tampons, they go in easily and painlessly, as they should. However, over the next couple of days tampons gets harder to insert, it often feels like they're hitting some resistance that stops them going in as far as they should. I've been using tampons for about three years, but this problem has appeared the last three or four times I've had a period.

Does anyone else have this problem, or know what it could be and what to do about it?

Many Thanks

Have you used smaller tampons for less "flow" If not then make try them. If you have, make sure that no tampon has been left there and maybe use pads for them next one. Your body will work itself out. If it carries on, then maybe see a doctor.
Blueflare
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Less flow = less lubrication.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Use lighter tampons when your flow isn't as heavy.

Simples.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. They get harder to insert even on my heaviest days (normally my second day). It's not like it's hard getting them in initially, but they seem to meet with some kind of resistance when they get a certain way in, like I can actually feel them pressing on something. It just seems to make no sense.
S_123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Erm... sounds like you've got another tampon stuck up there. Check quick! TSS and all that.
whitepearlbaby
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You dry out over time. What you could try is alternating between tampons and pads, so your insides have time to get the flow going again, so to say
whitepearlbaby
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. They get harder to insert even on my heaviest days (normally my second day). It's not like it's hard getting them in initially, but they seem to meet with some kind of resistance when they get a certain way in, like I can actually feel them pressing on something. It just seems to make no sense.
If you don't get them in at the right angle they will hurt. And taking one out and putting another one in straight away will not give you enough time to be lubricated. Another thing you could try is using lube to get the tampons in more easily.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you sure you're remembering to take the previous ones out?
Clioashlee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try to relax..?

If you are tense it will hurt like hell and be near impossible to get a tampon in.

Take a few deep breaths, relax your muscles and be gentle
Clioashlee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try to relax..?

If you are tense it will hurt like hell and be near impossible to get a tampon in.

Take a few deep breaths, relax your muscles and be gentle
Barquay Toffee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have the same problem on the 2-3 day. It seems like my body just gets fed up with them, so I can’t put them in as far. This is quite personal, but are you a virgin? I don’t know if that has anything affect on it
lexalopezzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
hi, i’m 15 and i have the same problem. like it’s not difficult the first couple days then after 2 days it’s like something’s blocking the tampon going in. and i would like to know why to cuz it’s worrying me. like i’m on my 3day and i just tried putting a tampon in and it would go through but like ofc i shove it in cuz i HATE pads. but it hurt :/
Jojo42
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi I’m 42 and have experienced this problem for the last 5 years or so. Tampax go in very easily for maybe the first two days and then it’s impossible. I am a very heavy bleeder due to some gynea issues so there’s never a time when it’s due to being too dry, and I’m also very relaxed about it, have done it for enough years! I also know my own body very well so I know how and where to insert them, yet this keeps happening... I’m wondering if internally we can swell with the bleeding process, causing this issue? The only theory I can come up with.
Angela Peterson
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I also have that problem. I'm 55 and have been using tampons for 40 years now and have 2 grown children so, not a virgin, not new to tampons, not forgetting to remove the one that's now leaking (gross) etc. It's now day 3 and my periods are heavier now than most if tge time in my life, which I understand is normal. But having it stop and be painful when blood is actively dripping out, I know it's not too dry. I have to double cork over a super extra plus to get 2 hours out of it so saturated is insufficient description. Yet it stops halfway in and actually bends if I push. Today I have just let it stay where it wants which is mildly uncomfortable but better than continuing to push. Obviously I'm not the only one experiencing this problem and no one with real knowledge has an answer as yet. Helpful suggestions are not helpful. Ijs. Any insight? I doubt a doctor is needed. Seriously doubt a big tumor sprung up in 2 days blocking the tampon. Yet this is odd. And messy. And uncomfortable. Thank you
Closteen
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am following because I recently started having this issue. I know I have removed the previous product, but its always in the back of my mind that I haven't because it literally feels as if i am hitting something when trying to insert the fresh product. I am 28 years old and have been using tampons for 14 years (I Started my period at 11 Y.O.). I talked to my GYNO and she said that you can have inflammation due to more blood flow to the cervix/uterus during your cycle and that taking and anti-inflammatory can help. I tried this the last cycle I had and I couldn't really tell a difference. I just used a regular instead of a super or super plus and it seemed to be fine, but still had some resistance. I am glad i come across this forum, it lets me know I am not the only one! Haha
Colred38
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Im 42 always used tampons since the age of 14, never had an issue with any size any time of my cycle, got more difficult over time now past two cycles can't insert them at all, hit resistance and bend. Im concerned !! Think it might be doctors for me x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (267)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (21)
4.79%
No- I want it (117)
26.71%
No- I don't want it (33)
7.53%

Watched Threads