Reality TV gone mad? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
No doubt a number of you out there are familiar with a recent format called 'Shattered' which joins other similar programs in the reality TV genre. The programme was set in a complex where ten contestants were challenged to stay awake for a whole week competing for £100,000. Several attempts were made to make them fall asleep such as giving boring lectures, watching paint dry and being read children's stories whilst being tucked up in bed - I have got to hand it to the produucers of this 'experiment' because it certainly made me fall asleep. It was totally bereft of any scientific analysis and was purely staged to indulge the gormless viewing appetites of a public whose tastes are surely waning.
Tv shows such as Big Brother and even more recently David Blaine's quest to starve himself cant surely be considered good viewing? Surely this is distasteful and should not get any attention at all? No is the simple answer. Why do viewers delight at the torture of fellow human beings? I am inclined to believe that this is extremely desensitising and that before long the TV producers at Channel 4 will come up with something as hideous as a concentration camp simulation - and again there will be no complaints but congratulations on a splendid socio-scientific experiment! Surely we must stop watching these pathetic shows or else we are on the road to ruination as a society
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I suppose it makes a change to the typical '100 Greatest...........' crap that we see on TV.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I suppose it makes a change to the typical '100 Greatest...........' crap that we see on TV.
no it is awful - read my view and u'll see what I mean
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
no it is awful - read my view and u'll see what I mean
Whoops, didn't realise what you were saying, all I could initially see was Shattered, and I thought 'hmmm......pile of sh*t'. I never indulged in viewing 'Big Brother' or 'Shattered', or nay TV reality show for that matter. Its as boring and tedious as watching a soap.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
What?! Has no one seen reality TV?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No doubt a number of you out there are familiar with a recent format called 'Shattered' which joins other similar programs in the reality TV genre. The programme was set in a complex where ten contestants were challenged to stay awake for a whole week competing for £100,000. Several attempts were made to make them fall asleep such as giving boring lectures, watching paint dry and being read children's stories whilst being tucked up in bed - I have got to hand it to the produucers of this 'experiment' because it certainly made me fall asleep. It was totally bereft of any scientific analysis and was purely staged to indulge the gormless viewing appetites of a public whose tastes are surely waning.
Tv shows such as Big Brother and even more recently David Blaine's quest to starve himself cant surely be considered good viewing? Surely this is distasteful and should not get any attention at all? No is the simple answer. Why do viewers delight at the torture of fellow human beings? I am inclined to believe that this is extremely desensitising and that before long the TV producers at Channel 4 will come up with something as hideous as a concentration camp simulation - and again there will be no complaints but congratulations on a splendid socio-scientific experiment! Surely we must stop watching these pathetic shows or else we are on the road to ruination as a society
The problem with Shattered is that after 2 days the producers realised noone would make it, so let them sleep for 1-2 hours each day. So basically all the 'science' went.
There was an episode of the pilot show (which had fake reality tv show auditions) which had auditions for a conectration camp, with questions like 'this was done in Finland and someone actually died, would you mind that?'
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanMushMan)
The problem with Shattered is that after 2 days the producers realised noone would make it, so let them sleep for 1-2 hours each day. So basically all the 'science' went.
There was an episode of the pilot show (which had fake reality tv show auditions) which had auditions for a conectration camp, with questions like 'this was done in Finland and someone actually died, would you mind that?'
wow i didnt realise that - and the Pilot Show is a reality show which takes the mick out of reality tv - the irony is not lost on me
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
Didn't realise that. Sort of defeats the whole reason for it, even though the people would be shattered.Why someone would go on to get no sleep is beyond me. I would never make it!
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

following the success of Big Brother i think modern TV is edging towards a very fine line between good and bad reality shows. i guess these shows such as 'shattered' suit the taste of a certain proportion of the public and so producers carry on making these programns, without much thought of over doing it
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by white_solitude)
following the success of Big Brother i think modern TV is edging towards a very fine line between good and bad reality shows. i guess these shows such as 'shattered' suit the taste of a certain proportion of the public and so producers carry on making these programns, without much thought of over doing it
i take ur point - do u think it is over the top - should there be more quality programmes on?
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i take ur point - do u think it is over the top - should there be more quality programmes on?

to be honest i never actually really liked big brother, i never understood the appeal of watching some random people sleep and eat in a confined space, but i guess thats just different taste.

i think producers should definitely look more into the finer tastes of others and consider their interests as well. as for me, i'm not really interested in reality tv...i get what u say about watching peope starve themselves and actually enjoying programs of self torture for a certain amount of money. so for me, i'd generally prefer to watch documentaries or something more interesting...
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
these reality tv shows are just a horrid echo of the naff 'docu-soap' things such as Airport or whatever else. Everyone wants their 15 minues of fame, and seeing as there are just so many tv channels and shows to make producers are just using the cheapest, most willing subjects - the gormless general public.
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
these reality tv shows are just a horrid echo of the naff 'docu-soap' things such as Airport or whatever else. Everyone wants their 15 minues of fame, and seeing as there are just so many tv channels and shows to make producers are just using the cheapest, most willing subjects - the gormless general public.

lol...that airline thing was hilarious! there was absolutely no point to it whatsoever, it was like a couple of people who worked at airports complaining about their life
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
wow i didnt realise that - and the Pilot Show is a reality show which takes the mick out of reality tv - the irony is not lost on me
pilot show was hilarious, wasn't just reality tv, but it stitched up desperate celebs (eg ex bbrother "stars" and soap "actors") into filming pilots for fake shows. Had stuff like "he's not my postman" where a celeb would go and knock on the door of a fan to give them £100 and the guy would answer naked and stuff like that. (well you had to watch it for it to be funny).
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Didn't realise that. Sort of defeats the whole reason for it, even though the people would be shattered.Why someone would go on to get no sleep is beyond me. I would never make it!
I think the £100 000 is why people did it, though I'm pretty sure they could have got people to do it for nothing except TV exposure.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I believe an analysis showed that the most a person could take was a week of not sleeping. He went paranoid and thought the testers was trying to poison him. So he locked himself in the toilet cubicle. And fell asleep.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I believe an analysis showed that the most a person could take was a week of not sleeping. He went paranoid and thought the testers was trying to poison him. So he locked himself in the toilet cubicle. And fell asleep.
the guy who has the record was a DJ who went 11 days. (he was called Randy Gardener- what a great name). he suffered from severe mental problems afterwards. he also went paranoid, he got depressed and had a complete personality transformation- i think his wife actually left him cos of it. i would never consider anything like that for any amount of money- your health is worth far more than any cheque.

lou xxx
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
the guy who has the record was a DJ who went 11 days. (he was called Randy Gardener- what a great name). he suffered from severe mental problems afterwards. he also went paranoid, he got depressed and had a complete personality transformation- i think his wife actually left him cos of it. i would never consider anything like that for any amount of money- your health is worth far more than any cheque.

lou xxx
we studied him as part of our sleep section for Psychology at A level a couple of years ago - but our teacher said he was fine! Maybe that's why I failed that unit... :confused:
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)

lou xxx

yeah i guess people lose sight of their priorities when faced with the prospect of a huge amount of money
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
we studied him as part of our sleep section for Psychology at A level a couple of years ago - but our teacher said he was fine! Maybe that's why I failed that unit... :confused:
he really wasn't. i went to the most fascinating lecture on it in the summer given by this Oxford phd student. me and my friend p*** everyone else in the class off by continually talking about it (we were the only ones who went).

lou xxx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise