Reapplying to Oxbridge following A level Results Watch

This discussion is closed.
frenzied
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm in a bit of an difficult position. Yesterday I got three a*s in history, Geography and Politics (:woo: ) and clearly shouldn't be complaining, but now I am unsure what I should do next year regarding university.

I have a confirmed place to do history at Kings College London which I'm happy with, but this followed being pooled by Cambridge last year for history at Gonville and Caius (a huge error of choice) and eventually being rejected, something I was fairly devastated by. Initially I felt like my grades were a big middle finger up to them, but now i'm really unsure whether to take a year out and reapply to Cambridge. My grades are either higher or match those who are going to Oxbridge from my school, but I'm worry about rising applications numbers and having planned nothing as I wasn't expecting to take a gap year etc.

I'd just like to hear what people have to say on here as everyone I've asked have mixed opinions! For the record my GCSES and AS are strong.

Equally with strong grades will other Unis accept me again next year? I got into Bristol, Exeter, york and kings this year.

Thanks everyone, I thought you'd be some of the best people to ask having followed these forums but not joined over the last two years!
thenewromance1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do what I did - screw Cam and apply to Oxford :p: That aside, I imagine the other unis would accept you the following year, providing your application was as strong. Incidentally, I applied to a few of the same, plus a few better and got all my offers (withdrew from one in the end as they took too long) so I seemed to have a much better result this year than before I had my A levels.

So I say go for it
frenzied
Rep:
?
Only issue with applying to Oxford is you have to take a test for History! Was the primary reason why I chose Cambridge and then Gonville as there were no tests at that college. Unfortunately I then failed to do any research on its popularity, which I'm pretty sure is what screwed me!
chaz1992
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by frenzied)
Only issue with applying to Oxford is you have to take a test for History! Was the primary reason why I chose Cambridge and then Gonville as there were no tests at that college. Unfortunately I then failed to do any research on its popularity, which I'm pretty sure is what screwed me!
You got an A* for History. I don't think you should worry about you not being able to do the entrance tests.
Mattilla the Hun
Report 9 years ago
If you want to study at Oxbridge, a little test shouldn't phase you! Definitely reapply - to Oxford or to Cambridge.
frenzied
Rep:
?
What are peoples experiences of reapplying then if any?
campy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What were you predicted last year? Were you interviewed? If you were predicted A*s last year, or if they interviewed you, it might mean that 4 A*s is not enough of a guarantee for you to waste the year trying again. King's is good. You could do oxbridge for post grad
frenzied
Rep:
?
(Original post by campy)
What were you predicted last year? Were you interviewed? If you were predicted A*s last year, or if they interviewed you, it might mean that 4 A*s is not enough of a guarantee for you to waste the year trying again. King's is good. You could do oxbridge for post grad
I was predicted 1 A* 2 As last year, the A* actually in Geography. Yeah I had three interviews, two went very well, one less so, which I think I lost it on, although by no means did it go badly. I was pooled as a result.

Post Grad is indeed another option, I just feel a bit like I should be doing something with those grades, if you see what I mean.
campy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was predicted 1 A* 2 As last year, the A* actually in Geography. Yeah I had three interviews, two went very well, one less so, which I think I lost it on, although by no means did it go badly. I was pooled as a result.

Post Grad is indeed another option, I just feel a bit like I should be doing something with those grades, if you see what I mean.
I do indeed. Have you looked into adjustment?
frenzied
Rep:
?
(Original post by campy)
I do indeed. Have you looked into adjustment?
No, I'm not sure how this works or what Unis are involved. Everyone has simply advised me that I should reapply through the whole cycle again.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, I'm not sure how this works or what Unis are involved. Everyone has simply advised me that I should reapply through the whole cycle again.
You can't get into Oxford or Cambridge via UCAS Adjustment.
frenzied
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
You can't get into Oxford or Cambridge via UCAS Adjustment.
Was that I thought to be honest.
rencj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hiya, first post but i thought this sounded so similarto me ! I was pooled from emma (also a huge error!) for medicine, rejected in the end, got an AAB offer to exeter, now got A*A*AA (with one A 1 ums off, so might be marked up to another A*).

Besically the way I see it its a gamble either way. You might not get in next year... but you might regret it for a long time if you dont try! Especially since there are people with worse grades meeting their offers this year. i guess tho that with those grades behind you, your more likely to get in somehwere else next time round even if cambridge say no again.
PercyChatsworth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know someone who reapplied to Cambridge during their first year at UCL, got in and then started at Cambridge the following year. They didn't mention that they'd started another course on their UCAS application - as technically they hadn't when they completed the form.

If I hadn't got into Oxford I would probably have done this exact same thing, assuming that the offer I did have was acceptable and I would be happy to continue to years 2-3 of that degree if I got a second rejection from the Oxbridge application.
Philosopher-of-sorts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm in a similar situation to you frenzied, and I'm taking the dive.

I was predicted A*AAb and was rejected by LSE, had firmed York for Politics and Philosophy. I'm now planning on re-applying to Oxford (didn't apply last cycle) and LSE with A*A*A*c (plus A* General Studies).

You'll have two things going for you doing so--firstly you've got 'solid' A*s. Tutors at many universities have been very cynical about predicted A*s because they figure teachers think they can just push an A up to an A* for predictions and it won't matter. So you'll be one of the few who will be applying with very strong grades that they know won't turn out to be an illusion.

You've also got the opportunity to get some stuff planned/going to really spice up your application. Currently I'm doing some volunteer work for my MP 2 days a week, and also doing alot of other political activism. Also looking for a paid job (evenings/weekends) and some other voluntary work to do.

I'd take the plunge if you feel like you can come up with a strong enough application. But it's all up to your personal feelings on your current offer and your feeling of the likelihood of success. I personally was very content with my York offer, but felt as if I was missing out where I should have been going, so after I received my results it was almost an instant decision.

Good luck anyway. It'll be a super-competitive cycle if you do decide to join it, but there won't be too many of us with solid A*s around.
Trixy.Sam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
re-apply, but make sure you use your year to get some more experience etc...
frenzied
Rep:
?
Thank you for all of this, I'm going to see if I can actually contact Cambridge for some advice. Equally I shall ask my teachers. I was never expecting to be in this situation to be honest, I hadn't possibly thought about it.

Interesting to see others in the same situation as previous years this could not possibly happen, where people were getting better grade than students who have got into Oxbridge.
frenzied
Rep:
?
(Original post by PercyChatsworth)
I know someone who reapplied to Cambridge during their first year at UCL, got in and then started at Cambridge the following year. They didn't mention that they'd started another course on their UCAS application - as technically they hadn't when they completed the form.

If I hadn't got into Oxford I would probably have done this exact same thing, assuming that the offer I did have was acceptable and I would be happy to continue to years 2-3 of that degree if I got a second rejection from the Oxbridge application.
This is really interesting as well, what would you say to Oxbridge though? That you're on a gap year?
rmcknight1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Reapply! I got rejected by Oxford without interview despite having 6 grade A's at AS level, so I'm reapplying to Cambridge for Law. Got 3 a*'S and 2 A's DO IT! Well done by the way! xxx
frenzied
Rep:
?
Why would they not even offer you an interview?! Well done as well!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (115)
24.78%
Pop (108)
23.28%
Jazz (20)
4.31%
Classical (23)
4.96%
Hip-Hop (87)
18.75%
Electronic (37)
7.97%
Indie (74)
15.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise