The Student Room Group

Smoking in public

I'm woking on writing a debate paper for school today on this subject of smoking in public. Although no doubt there are more facts in which you could take the side of non-smoking in public, my paper is about how people should be allowed to smoke in public. I chose this simply for the difficulty, but i could use some help if nobody minded, and if you knew of any sites i could refer to, please send me the link.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can offer opinions as somebody that regulary compagins against smoking (well if moaning to bus drivers about smoking passengers counts :tongue: )
Reply 2
Pro smoking:
personal choice
ostracision of the large percentage of the population already addicted
limits of 'nanny state' - scientific findings that practically everything is bad for us

This thinking up reasons to kill yourself in public malarkey is quite tricky, isn't it?

scary
wel, i just have to say that it should be baned in public !!!
there was a tv programn on a couple of months ago when people were arguing that banning smoking in public places was almost as offensive as racial discrimination (kinda judging someone for a habit) but i guess as a counterattack, coloured people don't breathe out a load of poisonous gas
Reply 5
I'm all for smoking being banned in places like cinemas and restraunts and public transport, but clubs and bars should never be forced to be smoke free.
deathisg0d
I'm woking on writing a debate paper for school today on this subject of smoking in public. Although no doubt there are more facts in which you could take the side of non-smoking in public, my paper is about how people should be allowed to smoke in public. I chose this simply for the difficulty, but i could use some help if nobody minded, and if you knew of any sites i could refer to, please send me the link.

I think it depends on the place. Clubs, pubs and cafes are ok to smoke in I also think having designated smoking areas would help. Although in some places it needs to be banned i.e trainsport and any place near children as i believe it is a bad influence.
Reply 7
white_solitude
...coloured people don't breathe out a load of poisonous gas

they do if they smoke :biggrin:
Dickie
they do if they smoke :biggrin:

lol, true if thats the case
Reply 9
Smoking is banned in most Manchester shopping centre's now. They want to ban smoking anywhere in the city centre too. 80% of mancs are for i (the ban).
Reply 10
amazingtrade
Smoking is banned in most Manchester shopping centre's now. They want to ban smoking anywhere in the city centre too. 80% of mancs are for i (the ban).

As far as that, i live in Ohio USA, i just thought some opinions of people who live outside my area might be of interest also.

And thank you for all of your opinions to this point, and i'm certainly open to anymore opinions or information sources anyone could supply me with.
Reply 11
Some points for not banning smoking (and no I don't smoke bu I love debating things from a controversial point of view :biggrin: )

- smoking is less socially accepted by society but is far less obnoxious than ay drinking in public. You can chose to go to a non-smoking area but you get drunk louts everywhere.

-again its personal choice, but the government and health officials originally claimed smoking was good so they cannot suddenly backtrack. Makes a mockery of themselves.

- the more you restrict the more people will rebel. Its true of anything, and with smoking being such a large addiction it would be nigh on impossible to police.

- certain individuals smoke drugs in public places. As long as you don't have enough to supply you can get away with sometimes even a caution. If you ban smoking would you ban this and go back on the work and legislation the gov had forced through to make such drug taking semi-legalised?
Reply 12
Right thats it i'm gonna ramble on now:

First they are not coloured they are black, you are obviously racist. also i shouldn't refer to them as they or them, cos i bet i'd be done for racisim. Although most black people make racist comments nearly all the time even on film (The Fast and the Furious; where Paul Walker is called a snowman) and can get away with it cos they're black.

Secondly, the main topic, smoking should not be banned in public places, for these reasons:

They have already tried it in New York (still goes on) and about 40% of pubs, bars and clubs have gone out of buisiness because of a lack of customers.

I know alot of social smokers who only smoke when they are out having a drink so it wouldnt be major for them but its more like a thing to do than just drink.

If smoking cigarettes is banned there will be a greater increase in cannibis smokers (seeing as its becoming Class C in a few weeks also), the reason for this is people will not be smoking and drinking so when they smoke they expect to be, in this case drunk, so when they are smoking on the street (which is not the smoking in public your talking about) they are not feeling any rush so, divert to other means, weed.

Yeah smoking in public places is only public buildings out side is ok

Have you been sleepwalking for the past nineteen million years, and didnt notice that you cant smoke in cinemas or...

Right back where was I.

yeah cinemas and shopping centres around london have it banned (well ones i know), i know a few (+ myself) who do it anyway then the nice voice over the tannoy "This shoppping centre is a clean air environment please refrain from smoking", tug tug tug...! but no not in a cinema

in the Beefeater where i work we have banned smoking in the restaurant which i can agree with, i would wait until the whole table has finished before i spark up, but then there are people still eating behind or whatever so i dont any more, but neway you would have to go to the bar area for a fag. How ever most places i go to drink (wetherspoons do this) is no smoking at the actual bar. which i can agree with too.

So i think its fine how it is people who dont like it go off and get another addiction like drink, drugs or beating the sh*t out of random people. I feel we all have bad habits most of them just as bad as smoking.

Thats about it i will add more if needs be
Reply 13
prince_capri
wel, i just have to say that it should be baned in public !!!

Personally i dont smoke but if u dont like it when some1else is, YOU should move - u r the 1 with the problem, they dnt have a problem with u being there
Sasha D
Personally i dont smoke but if u dont like it when some1else is, YOU should move - u r the 1 with the problem, they dnt have a problem with u being there

yep, i have smoke too, i can't stand it, end up coughing like crazy...i'd personally like to see a ban, however i understand and respect people who see this as a form of discrimination
Reply 15
LimpNoodle
Right thats it i'm gonna ramble on now:

First they are not coloured they are black, you are obviously racist. also i shouldn't refer to them as they or them, cos i bet i'd be done for racisim. Although most black people make racist comments nearly all the time even on film (The Fast and the Furious; where Paul Walker is called a snowman) and can get away with it cos they're black.

Do u by any chance have another membership 2 this site? ie kilroy silk???
Reply 16
Sasha D

i agree. I've never really smoked, I havn't grown up with people who do or know many that do either, but its stupid to complain. If you work in a bar of whatever i can see your reasons for concern, but otherwise just suck it up and move on
Reply 17
deathisg0d

smoking is horrible but smoking in public is even worse
Reply 18
selfish person you, only thinking of yourself
Reply 19
Smoking in clubs should be banned. MDMA legalised!

Viva la revolution.

Latest

Trending

Trending