The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Reply 1
Bradford... basically it was established earlier than the other two and has better reputation.But I have no idea abt LAW department
Reply 2
Maths at Kent.

Then a conversion course.

If you're wanting to enter the legal proffesion, an LLB from an ex-poly or lower ranked university just won't cut it.
Reply 3
Corsa007
Yeah good point about the ex poly thing. Kent it is then.

Not true, I know a woman who's a barrister who went to Huddersfield.
She also had interviews at top chambers too. :yep:

But she's pretty much a rarity, I concur, maths at Kent.

Good luck.
Corsa007
I have been offered 3 clearing places for law and I am unsure as to which one to take. So could anyone give me any advice?

I have offers for LLB Law from:

De Montfort University
University of Gloucestershire
University of Bradford.

Also, I have a maths offer from University of Kent.

Which of these would serve me well? I am a bit apprehensive of doing law as I hear that most law firms prefer applicants to have AAA at A-level.

You've hit the nail on the head, if you don't have AAA at A-level some firms filter you out automatically. So the universities you'll be applying to for Law won't get you very far unless you want to be a high street solicitor. Barrister is out of question they only recruit from the top 10-15ish, especially good sets (not top) just good.

So Maths at Kent is a better shout, Law is overly subscribed, you'll be regretting it when you can't find TC/pupillage.

All the best :smile:
Mann18
Not true, I know a woman who's a barrister who went to Huddersfield.
She also had interviews at top chambers too. :yep:

But she's pretty much a rarity, I concur, maths at Kent.

Good luck.

You haven't said whether she has pupillage or is a practising barrister. To do the BPTC (to become a barrister) isn't difficult it's getting the pupillage. Top sets don't tend to recruit outside of Oxbridge and some of the top Russell Group/Durhams, Warwicks et al.

Also it depends when she was called to the Bar, since in the earlier days it wasn't as competitive and a lot was dependent on "contacts". Also, if she comes from a first career then where she graduated from doesn't make a jot of difference as it would when you're 22.
Reply 6
younglawyer
You haven't said whether she has pupillage or is a practising barrister. To do the BPTC (to become a barrister) isn't difficult it's getting the pupillage. Top sets don't tend to recruit outside of Oxbridge and some of the top Russell Group/Durhams, Warwicks et al.

Also it depends when she was called to the Bar, since in the earlier days it wasn't as competitive and a lot was dependent on "contacts". Also, if she comes from a first career then where she graduated from doesn't make a jot of difference as it would when you're 22.

Sorry, she graduated 3 years ago with a 1st.
She got partial sponsorship to her Inn, and I haven't spoken to her about what happened with her interviews, she wasn't a practicing barrister, but had just finished her pupilage (I don't know where) and had interviews at "chambers that usually only interview Oxbridge students."

She made loads of contacts doing mock trials ect, so it just goes to show that uni doesn't mean everything.
Even though 99.99% of the time, it does, and she may have been point blank rejected from those chambers.
Mann18
Sorry, she graduated 3 years ago with a 1st.
She got partial sponsorship to her Inn, and I haven't spoken to her about what happened with her interviews, she wasn't a practicing barrister, but had just finished her pupilage (I don't know where) and had interviews at "chambers that usually only interview Oxbridge students."

She made loads of contacts doing mock trials ect, so it just goes to show that uni doesn't mean everything.
Even though 99.99% of the time, it does, and she may have been point blank rejected from those chambers.

No it certainly is possible, I know of a couple that I can count on my fingers who have recently graduated from inferior law schools (ex poly's) but have made it after a long slog, namely about 8 years of trying!!!

But there are rare exceptions to everything, this is one of them. But I can't see top commercial/chancery sets ever taking on someone outside the stereotypical legal background, it just doesn't happen.
Reply 8
younglawyer
No it certainly is possible, I know of a couple that I can count on my fingers who have recently graduated from inferior law schools (ex poly's) but have made it after a long slog, namely about 8 years of trying!!!

But there are rare exceptions to everything, this is one of them. But I can't see top commercial/chancery sets ever taking on someone outside the stereotypical legal background, it just doesn't happen.

Apart from the financial attractions (which I know are great) I don't know why anyone would even want to do commercial or chancery law.
It seems so boring...

Medical/Criminal law is where it's at.
Reply 9
neillya1
Maths at Kent.

Then a conversion course.

If you're wanting to enter the legal proffesion, an LLB from an ex-poly or lower ranked university just won't cut it.

:ditto:
Reply 10
Ye Kent maths is where i would go, then you can still do your conversion or alternatively you have opened up doors elsewhere finance/audit/business analyst/accountancy etc because you have proved a strong mathematical aptitude.
Mann18
Apart from the financial attractions (which I know are great) I don't know why anyone would even want to do commercial or chancery law.
It seems so boring...

Medical/Criminal law is where it's at.

Well yes financially it's rewarding too, but if you were to be a commercial/chancery lawyer you'd be leaving chambers at 6 every evening, which does it for me. But I have no intention of ever doing commercial, Property (Part of Chancery) does interest me. But I want a civil practise (PI, Medical, Property et al) which seems a lot more interesting. Would do crime too, but the lifestyle would be messed up, staying up each night to read papers only to find the witness doesn't turn up and not forgetting the fact that you get lip from a chav (the lowest form of humanity - according to a district judge LOL!!!).
Reply 12
De Mont Fort.
Reply 13
younglawyer
Well yes financially it's rewarding too, but if you were to be a commercial/chancery lawyer you'd be leaving chambers at 6 every evening, which does it for me. But I have no intention of ever doing commercial, Property (Part of Chancery) does interest me. But I want a civil practise (PI, Medical, Property et al) which seems a lot more interesting. Would do crime too, but the lifestyle would be messed up, staying up each night to read papers only to find the witness doesn't turn up and not forgetting the fact that you get lip from a chav (the lowest form of humanity - according to a district judge LOL!!!).

Hence why working for the CPS is what I want to do.

Sending those chavs down, all the way down. To funky town.
Prison, I was talking about prison.

Anyway, good luck with your degree, Birmingham, pretty suave brother!
Mann18
Hence why working for the CPS is what I want to do.

Sending those chavs down, all the way down. To funky town.
Prison, I was talking about prison.

Anyway, good luck with your degree, Birmingham, pretty suave brother!

Thank you, good luck with your studies too :smile:
Reply 15
Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone know whether maths related employers (i.e finance firms) place great emphasis on A-level grades too?
Corsa007
I have been offered 3 clearing places for law and I am unsure as to which one to take. So could anyone give me any advice?

I have offers for LLB Law from:

De Montfort University
University of Gloucestershire
University of Bradford.

Also, I have a maths offer from University of Kent.

Which of these would serve me well? I am a bit apprehensive of doing law as I hear that most law firms prefer applicants to have AAA at A-level.

Imo, it's better to accept an offer from Kent. It's a good uni, maths is a respected degree. Besides, you can always make a conversion course. Of course it costs money so it's up to you. But remember, law is a very competitive course, the reputation of the university is not everything, that's for sure, but sometimes it matters. Especially if you want to be a barrister.

Good luck! :yep:
Reply 17
If you're serious about law, then you ideally need to study it at Oxbridge, or at least within the Russell Group.

Have a look at magic circle firms and top chambers - most of the Partners are Oxbridge and virtually all of the Silks at Chambers are Oxbridge.

As others have said, it's possible to go to an average Uni and still make it, but top chambers offer maybe three or four pupilages per year, for which a great many extremely intelligent graduates are competing.

Latest

Trending

Trending