how will resitting year 12 affect application to university? Watch

username380364
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
To my horror my AS grades of CCDD turned out to not even meet my 6th forms requirement to get into year 13, so now my only option is to redo year 12 because all the other 6th forms / colleges are full. Medicines kinda out of the question now I think but I was hoping to apply for biomed or another science, until I looked at st georges page on biomed which says they do not consider those who have done a levels over 3 years. This probably goes for a lot of biomed courses and now I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of psychology or physiotherapy, but they may also reject resit candidates.

How does resitting year 12 affect applying to biological sciences, psychology and physiotherapy at a decent uni? Are there any people who took over 2 years ro complete their a levels and can tell me what their options were and what they decided? Thanks love you all
sarsi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jennaz77)
To my horror my AS grades of CCDD turned out to not even meet my 6th forms requirement to get into year 13, so now my only option is to redo year 12 because all the other 6th forms / colleges are full. Medicines kinda out of the question now I think but I was hoping to apply for biomed or another science, until I looked at st georges page on biomed which says they do not consider those who have done a levels over 3 years. This probably goes for a lot of biomed courses and now I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of psychology or physiotherapy, but they may also reject resit candidates.

How does resitting year 12 affect applying to biological sciences, psychology and physiotherapy at a decent uni? Are there any people who took over 2 years ro complete their a levels and can tell me what their options were and what they decided? Thanks love you all

:o:

I can't comment on the biomed thing cause I am doing physics. But I redid year 12. Had 5 U's at start and then redid year and came out with 5A's on AS. Now I have some A* and A's at A2 and am off to uni.
Land-based mammal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I dont think retaking is going to ruin ur chances of doing medicine, or bio-med, because your predicted grades are not going to be affected because you get them in year 13 after you get your AS results. If your worried about that then apply for bio-med and medicine for different unis when u come to do your ucas. Also my advice would be make sure you get good AS results so u get good predictions, because thats what unis look at when they come to decide whether or not to give you an offer.
Tsukuyomi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Usually unis will give you a higher offer. For example if the entry requirement is BBB, they might say you need to get ABB.
username380364
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarsi)

I can't comment on the biomed thing cause I am doing physics. But I redid year 12. Had 5 U's at start and then redid year and came out with 5A's on AS. Now I have some A* and A's at A2 and am off to uni.
wow thats inspirational! what uni are u off too? did you have to give an excuse for resitting year 12?
username380364
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tsukuyomi)
Usually unis will give you a higher offer. For example if the entry requirement is BBB, they might say you need to get ABB.
Thanks, do yo know examples of which unis give you this option? some seem to reject you totally if your a resit candidate.
aaronw26
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I messed up year 12 and going uni this time. So don't think it matters, since youre restarting the courses
sarsi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow thats inspirational! what uni are u off too? did you have to give an excuse for resitting year 12?
Durham
No excuse lol. If they didn't want me, tough, than I would have to get a job somewhere. But the school accepted so it was fine.
Tsukuyomi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks, do yo know examples of which unis give you this option? some seem to reject you totally if your a resit candidate.
You should get offers from most unis. They will ask for a higher grade though.
Maybe before applying contact the universities
fosforpheasant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unless you flag it up, I strongly doubt most universities will even realise. At any rate, I've a couple of friends who did this and they got LSE/Bristol regular offers.
ninah1995162
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sarsi)

Lol. Thats great! What unis did u apply to, apart from Durham?
JediArron
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sarsi)
Durham
No excuse lol. If they didn't want me, tough, than I would have to get a job somewhere. But the school accepted so it was fine.
Interesting, I am in the same predicament as you, I am resitting year 12 and want to get AAAb/c to study Ancient History at Durham getting AAA, do you think they will increase the requirements to A*AA when I apply?
JediArron
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fosforpheasant)
Unless you flag it up, I strongly doubt most universities will even realise. At any rate, I've a couple of friends who did this and they got LSE/Bristol regular offers.
Very interesting, may I personal message you to inquire more about this?
Star.x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sarsi)

Sorry I know you posted this long time ago and just wondering did you take the same AS level again on your resit year or did you change your As level and pick up something different. Thanks a lot
The_queenb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
this thread has actually made me feel so so much better 😅
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise