Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Twenty years ago students would have sit the S level before getting a place at cambridge. This System was stop in the 1980s beacuse it was seen as unfair towards the working class. 50 years ago any one who had been to a good school was given a place. With so many students having High grades at A level, something need to be done about this. Students can now retake As level to get a better a grade for A2, so are able to move up sometimes two grades to get that A grade. My view is that cambridge should start to use the S level again to find the best of the best from the A level students. It would find the best students rich or poor? Should the S level be used again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    Twenty years ago students would have sit the S level before getting a place at cambridge. This System was stop in the 1980s beacuse it was seen as unfair towards the working class. 50 years ago any one who had been to a good school was given a place. With so many students having High grades at A level, something need to be done about this. Students can now retake As level to get a better a grade for A2, so are able to move up sometimes two grades to get that A grade. My view is that cambridge should start to use the S level again to find the best of the best from the A level students. It would find the best students rich or poor? Should the S level be used again?
    What is the S level? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    There are AEAs now, which are roughly equivalent, and by the sound of it Cambridge are starting to make offers including AEA results, so it may go that way anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goat)
    What is the S level? :confused:

"Special level" - harder and more general than Advanced level. Designed to test the strongest candidates.

ReputationRep:
    It make sure that cambridge had good students who could cope with Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I also think they could do with more faculty/college administered tests in addition to/instead of AEAs.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge (and UCL) have already developed a similar test (namely the BMAT) for medical applicants for these very reasons. It has been designed in a way that it isn't unfair to any applicants from certain classes/schools as it tests aptitude rather than knowledge (well it does test knowledge but it's GCSE standard so any AS/A2 student should be able to cope well with it). I think it's a good idea as 'these days' the integrity of achieved grades and the UCAS form is decreasing. I definitely think it is a fairer way of comparing candidates on a more equal playing field.

ReputationRep:
    i know someone who got 5 and 6.9 on the bmat and didnt get an interview at oxford for medicine. He had AAAA but they rejected him because he had a B in eng lang... shocking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powerball)
    i know someone who got 5 and 6.9 on the bmat and didnt get an interview at oxford for medicine. He had AAAA but they rejected him because he had a B in eng lang... shocking
    whoa, 6.9 is pretty good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powerball)
    Wow, that's harsh, they were pretty ruthless this year. As expected, Oxford received a lot of complaints this year from 'perfect' applicants who were deselected pre-interview. That said most of them were straight A*/A grade students who scored poorly in the BMAT which seems harsh but the slightly higher weighting on the BMAT does make sense logically. Unfortunately it didn't help your friend though - the best procedure would obviously be to interview all applicants but unfortunately due to oversubscription (and Oxford's 'need' to keep applicants for two days) Ox couldn't accomodate/feed us all...

ReputationRep:
    Do most schools do AEA? I hadn't even heard of it before applying to Cambridge!! Lots of other applicants seemed to be doing it though.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.