This discussion is closed.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Why do so many people apply for law, whats so interesting about it, dont people want to do sumthing they love rarther than just sumthing which has the potential to pay well?
Me2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Why do so many people apply for law, whats so interesting about it, dont people want to do sumthing they love rarther than just sumthing which has the potential to pay well?
ah, but what if some of us would love to do law and have a job relating to law? its a highly diverse subject which incorporates many things, and with a degree in law, so many career paths open up for you...
cobra
Rep:
?
I dont dispute the fact that sum may love to do law, but i find it hard to believe there isnt a roughly even spread for people who love all the other subjects, i love chemistry, i read chemistry books, i got to lectures and i still have a life but i lov chemistry, everybody posting about law so avidly on this forum cant love it all that much, even if a few do, i think too many follow the trend just because of the possible pay benifits
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont dispute the fact that sum may love to do law, but i find it hard to believe there isnt a roughly even spread for people who love all the other subjects, i love chemistry, i read chemistry books, i got to lectures and i still have a life but i lov chemistry, everybody posting about law so avidly on this forum cant love it all that much, even if a few do, i think too many follow the trend just because of the possible pay benifits
Not really, if you do chemistry, the chances are you will end up in a chemistry career, if you do law, it is diverse and highly employable in many sectors, just like english and history at uni are considered to be.
cobra
Rep:
?
I'm not especially refering to the career prospects afterwards, but for the subject in general, besides chemistry is a very diverse degree, it involves both essay and report writing skills and technical and mathematical skills and practical skills and is therefore highly desirable when a none specific degree is required
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You choose something you enjoy and would like to spend 3 years of your life doing, or something that interests you and you would like the opportunity to learn about it. Many people enjoy law and with it tending to be in the news a lot more than chemistry, then there is more chance people will find it interesting. I do both chemistry and law and there is more room to talk about happening events in the world, and its those sort of things that i find attracts people to the subject.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm happy enough to admit im in it for the money. anyway i hate all forms of intelectual stimulation so i don't think there is a subject i would love at uni. i was thinking of some form of engineering cos im good at maths and physics but i realised i didnt want to dedicate the rest of my life to calculating stresses in a monkey like fashion. I would probably ending spend the rest of my life in front of a computer screen whilst some boss guy treats me as a piece of meat and makes me redundant at 45 becuase people in india can do my job cheaper if i went into engineering. As a lawyer i would command a certain amount of respect as well as having security in my job (i think).
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do people beat u at school for saying things like this?
Elle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No doubt a lot of people are in it for the money, but I don't think that's the reason it is such a competitive subject and studying Law does not mean that you'll go on to be a lawyer.. you could be PM
...there might be a lot of "law" threads around at the moment because people are still waiting for mosy of their offers for the subject.. just a thought..
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
No doubt a lot of people are in it for the money, but I don't think that's the reason it is such a competitive subject and studying Law does not mean that you'll go on to be a lawyer.. you could be PM
...there might be a lot of "law" threads around at the moment because people are still waiting for mosy of their offers for the subject.. just a thought..
Yeah, i heard durham had 1500 applications in by november the 1st last year, shows how competitive law is in and why u have to wait for places. I think there was a ratio compared of 1.4-1 for chem compared to 20-1 for most good law schools so there is bound to be more of a wait and more threads at this time of the year.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Yeah, i heard durham had 1500 applications in by november the 1st last year, shows how competitive law is in and why u have to wait for places. I think there was a ratio compared of 1.4-1 for chem compared to 20-1 for most good law schools so there is bound to be more of a wait and more threads at this time of the year.
Yeah the stats are pretty depressing if you're still waiting!
Have you applied to study law?
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, and im still waiting for durham and nottingham, my two priorities! Life can be so cruel... You???
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Yeah, and im still waiting for durham and nottingham, my two priorities! Life can be so cruel... You???
Tell me bout it!.. I'm still waiting for Nottingham, LSE and UCL. Good luck!
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
to you too, you never know, i might meet you in nottingham one day!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I personally want to go into law, because of three reasons:

1)Financial benefits
2)Stature
3)Intellectually stimulating subject that encompassess many of my attributes, such as analysis, evaluation, judgement, independent study and my natural charisma.

Originally I wanted to embark upon a management degree, but for some strange reason, law held more attraction. I dont know why that is, but I knew that it was either medicine or law. in the end I have chosen law, and I should be starting uni this september.

Nottingham <- Take toooooooo long to get back, I still haven't heard anything.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Tell me bout it!.. I'm still waiting for Nottingham, LSE and UCL. Good luck!
SOAS - unconditional
Essex - unconditional
LSE UCL King's Durham - Still waiting
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Law is a crazy subject work-wise. I don't think anyoone should do it just for the money because it would be hell to go through all that for three years if you didn't actually like law as a subject.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Law is a crazy subject work-wise. I don't think anyoone should do it just for the money because it would be hell to go through all that for three years if you didn't actually like law as a subject.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
i agree - but for me - i love it
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If I was doing it for the money I would have quit by now. Its hard but you get a real sense of achievement when you find the solution to a legal problem. I feel like a detective...maybe I should be a detective instead.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
If I was doing it for the money I would have quit by now. Its hard but you get a real sense of achievement when you find the solution to a legal problem. I feel like a detective...maybe I should be a detective instead.
u have hit the nail on the head - justifying ur answer is pretty cool at first glance
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads