This discussion is closed.
Farhan.Hanif93
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Just a quick question; when you're filling out the 'education' section of your UCAS and entering your AS Level results, must you fill in the individual marks for each module or is this optional?
nuodai
Badges: 17
Report 10 years ago
You can just put the title of the AS and the grade achieved (if it's cashed in -- if it's not cashed in then you don't put a grade), you don't even need to name the modules, let alone put the grades/marks in (I don't recommend putting the modules in, especially for Maths).

EDIT: That was a bit brief.

Your ASes will either be cashed in or not cashed in. If, on your results sheet, there's an overall grade for your ASes, then they've been cashed in; if there's no grade, then they haven't been cashed in. My old school cashed in all AS/A-levels except for Maths when people are doing Further Maths, so make sure you check for each AS/A-level.

If they've been cashed in, then you need to declare the name of the AS/A-level as well as the grade. If they've not been cashed in, then you enter the name but not grade (as you have no qualification until it's cashed in).

You then enter the name of your A-levels that you're continuing next year in addition to the ASes -- obviously leave the grades for these as "Pending".

For example, when I applied two years ago, it was like this:
AS French - A
AS Further Mathematics - Pending
AS Mathematics - Pending
AS General Studies - B
AS Music Tech - A
AS Psychology - A

A-level Further Mathematics - Pending
A-level French - Pending
A-level General Studies - Pending
A-level Mathematics - Pending
A-level Psychology - Pending

Entering modules is optional. You don't need to enter them in your UCAS form, and frankly I don't suggest it -- if you enter them all then any disappointing modules will show up, and if you only enter the good ones then it'll look suspicious. Your call.
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
(Original post by nuodai)
You can just put the title of the AS and the grade achieved (if it's cashed in -- if it's not cashed in then you don't put a grade), you don't even need to name the modules, let alone put the grades/marks in (I don't recommend putting the modules in, especially for Maths).
In which case, I may choose not to apply to UCL because they seem to suggest that they require me to enter individual marks.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/mathematics/und...ission_req.htm - under the offer section.
Cambridge will ask for this on the SAQ but that's not gonna be sent everywhere. I'm hoping nowhere else requires this information.
EDIT: Are the modular grades definitely required to go on there?
EDIT 2: Just seen your edit and I agree that it's not a good idea to enter the modules in. However, my college has not cashed in the A* I've achieved in maths this year. How would I be able to input this information onto UCAS knowing that I have an A*?
nuodai
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
In which case, I may choose not to apply to UCL because they seem to suggest that they require me to enter individual marks.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/mathematics/und...ission_req.htm - under the offer section.
Cambridge will ask for this on the SAQ but I'm hoping nowhere else requires this information.
See edit in my post (it's a bit more detailed).

The UCL website doesn't make it very clear whether this information should be put on the UCAS form, or whether they provide another form (like the Cambridge SAQ). As far as I'm aware, there isn't a field to enter the specific mark in any of your modules, only the grade -- at least that's how it was 2 years ago. It might be worth sending them an email and inquiring about this.

EDIT: Are the modular grades definitely required to go on there?
As far as I know, they're not, unless it's changed in the last 2 years. I doubt it has.
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
See edit in my post (it's a bit more detailed).

The UCL website doesn't make it very clear whether this information should be put on the UCAS form, or whether they provide another form (like the Cambridge SAQ). As far as I'm aware, there isn't a field to enter the specific mark in any of your modules, only the grade -- at least that's how it was 2 years ago. It might be worth sending them an email and inquiring about this.

As far as I know, they're not, unless it's changed in the last 2 years. I doubt it has.
That is true actually, there isn't a space for the marks to be input so I guess they must require it in some other form. I will email them about it and find out.
I have another edit in my second post, do you have any wisdom on that matter?
nuodai
Report 10 years ago
EDIT 2: Just seen your edit and I agree that it's not a good idea to enter the modules in. However, my college has not cashed in the A* I've achieved in maths this year. How would I be able to input this information onto UCAS knowing that I have an A*?
Simple answer is that you can't (or, rather, shouldn't) :p: I'm sure there'd be no issues if you did put that you'd got an A* in Maths, but it's technically lying as you don't have an A* in A-level Maths until it's cashed in [but you're guaranteed the A*]. What you could do is get your referee to put it in your reference, or you could put it in your PS... or to be honest you could just put it down as if you had the cashed in qualification. If there's any issues (which I doubt there will be) you can just say you misunderstood the process; it's not as if they make it easy for you!

All else failing, discuss it with someone at your school.

Have you decided on a college for Cambridge yet?
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
Simple answer is that you can't (or, rather, shouldn't) :p: I'm sure there'd be no issues if you did put that you'd got an A* in Maths, but it's technically lying as you don't have an A* in A-level Maths until it's cashed in [but you're guaranteed the A*]. What you could do is get your referee to put it in your reference, or you could put it in your PS... or to be honest you could just put it down as if you had the cashed in qualification. If there's any issues (which I doubt there will be) you can just say you misunderstood the process; it's not as if they make it easy for you!

All else failing, discuss it with someone at your school.

Have you decided on a college for Cambridge yet?
Yeah, I think I'll have a chat with my maths teacher/referee. As for the college, provisionally I'm thinking about Jesus at the moment considering it's where I went on my open day and, I'm not sure how useful this'll be but, interestingly Dr Siklos studied at my Sixth Form College. I'm hoping bringing that up will make it easier to remember me after any interviews (considering I get to that stage and produce a decent mathematical performance). Jesus as a college seems really well situated i.e. central to most places but off the tourist route. It's simply a beautiful college!
Although I'm going to Pembroke for a week on Monday for a mechanics residential course so who knows what'll happen? :p:
I'm sure you're about to tell me why I should actually apply to Robinson. :p:
nuodai
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I think I'll have a chat with my maths teacher/referee. As for the college, provisionally I'm thinking about Jesus at the moment considering it's where I went on my open day and, I'm not sure how useful this'll be but, interestingly Dr Siklos studied at my Sixth Form College. I'm hoping bringing that up will make it easier to remember me after any interviews (considering I get to that stage and produce a decent mathematical performance). Jesus as a college seems really well situated i.e. central to most places but off the tourist route. It's simply a beautiful college!
Awesome! If you do mention it, do so in passing... don't make it look like you've applied to Jesus for that reason. You're good enough to get in without it anyway :p:

I'm sure you're about to tell me why I should actually apply to Robinson. :p:
The awesomeness of Robinson speaks for itself and doesn't require my promotion! But in all seriousness you should apply to the college you think you'll like the most, not one that someone tells you to go to.
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
Awesome! If you do mention it, do so in passing... don't make it look like you've applied to Jesus for that reason. You're good enough to get in without it anyway :p:
Yeah definitely sounds sensible that way. I was planning to say it as something towards the end of the interview (again, assuming I get one). As for being good enough, that's still to be seen. I certainly hope so. The STEP result was encouraging though, I found out I got 97 marks in the end. Very happy but gutted at the same time because under normal circumstances, that would be worth an S! Who wouldn't settle for a 1 though? :p:
Thanks for your help, would love to rep you for every time you've helped out but I guess TSR just doesn't allow you to be that nice!
nuodai
Report 10 years ago
Yeah definitely sounds sensible that way. I was planning to say it as something towards the end of the interview (again, assuming I get one).
I've tried playing through how that would go in my head, and a little part of me cringes each time. I don't know why; it just seems like a bit of a dodgy thing to say in an interview. And, thinking about it, Dr Siklos is the DoS for Maths as well as Senior Tutor for Jesus, right? I'd imagine that he'll read somewhere which sixth form you're at, so if anything it's up to him to comment on it (and he seems fairly banterous so he probably will). In fact I wouldn't put it past him to read this thread But who knows.

As for being good enough, that's still to be seen. I certainly hope so. The STEP result was encouraging though, I found out I got 97 marks in the end. Very happy but gutted at the same time because under normal circumstances, that would be worth an S! Who wouldn't settle for a 1 though? :p:
Wow, 6 marks off an S even this year... that's good going, especially in Y12... I suppose you shouldn't get your hopes up too much, but something's gone very wrong if you're not made an offer.

Thanks for your help, would love to rep you for every time you've helped out but I guess TSR just doesn't allow you to be that nice!
My deceptively high rep has no reflection on my desire for it... so don't worry about it :p: Your "thanks"es are more than enough. Wait for more replies anyway, it might be that half of what I've said is BS.
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
I've tried playing through how that would go in my head, and a little part of me cringes each time. I don't know why; it just seems like a bit of a dodgy thing to say in an interview. And, thinking about it, Dr Siklos is the DoS for Maths as well as Senior Tutor for Jesus, right? I'd imagine that he'll read somewhere which sixth form you're at, so if anything it's up to him to comment on it (and he seems fairly banterous so he probably will). In fact I wouldn't put it past him to read this thread But who knows.
Agreed, there doesn't seem to be an appropriate timing for it although I'm fairly good at slipping in comments here and there.
Also please don't say that! My cover would be blown with my oh-so-inconspicuous username! I'm actually considering becoming a sub just so people don't spot me. When I signed up, I didn't expect to get that much into it. :p:

Wow, 6 marks off an S even this year... that's good going, especially in Y12... I suppose you shouldn't get your hopes up too much, but something's gone very wrong if you're not made an offer.
Thanks . I'm over the moon about it. Tbh, after I saw the boundaries, I was contemplating on how to take a grade 3 from this (bearing in mind that a respectable score of 68 would have gotten a 3 in this year's STEP I) so it was a welcome surprise! I think an offer will give me the motivation to do well at II and III. It's scary how many people don't make the STEP part of the offer though. Here's me hoping my poor performance in Mechanics isn't a big deal. :eek3:
My deceptively high rep has no reflection on my desire for it... so don't worry about it :p: Your "thanks"es are more than enough. Wait for more replies anyway, it might be that half of what I've said is BS.
I doubt it but external confirmation is never a bad thing!
nuodai
Report 10 years ago
Agreed, there doesn't seem to be an appropriate timing for it although I'm fairly good at slipping in comments here and there.
Also please don't say that! My cover would be blown with my oh-so-inconspicuous username! I'm actually considering becoming a sub just so people don't spot me. When I signed up, I didn't expect to get that much into it. :p:
You can't change your username, so being a sub wouldn't do much. Just let it roll... if Siklos saw your posts on here he'd probably be more impressed than anything else (at least your Maths posts -- I've not seen any others really :p:) .
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
You can't change your username, so being a sub wouldn't do much. Just let it roll... if Siklos saw your posts on here he'd probably be more impressed than anything else (at least your Maths posts -- I've not seen any others really :p:) .
Cheers for the compliments! (Have I actually posted much on here beyond what a typical A-Level student should know?)
It's a shame our sleeping patterns are so screwed though... :p:
nuodai
Report 10 years ago
Cheers for the compliments! (Have I actually posted much on here beyond what a typical A-Level student should know?)
I realise I seem to dish a lot of compliments in your direction; I just don't want you to be put off the idea of taking Maths to epic levels And yes, and I've seen you help Further Maths students with their questions on occasion, and quite a few Y13s who were preparing for STEP this time round. And then there's your CoV stuff of course. And I think I've even seen you do some Analysis from time to time (often correct, and forgiveable when incorrect given that you've had no tuition in it).

It's a shame our sleeping patterns are so screwed though... :p:
Well, yours is :p: I've got an excuse for mine -- I'm doing night shifts at work, and tonight's a night off.
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
I realise I seem to dish a lot of compliments in your direction; I just don't want you to be put off the idea of taking Maths to epic levels And yes, and I've seen you help Further Maths students with their questions on occasion, and quite a few Y13s who were preparing for STEP this time round. And then there's your CoV stuff of course. And I think I've even seen you do some Analysis from time to time (often correct, and forgiveable when incorrect given that you've had no tuition in it).
I'm grateful for that, I also do the same a lot of the time although I know you don't like to be told you're a genius (even though you should know you are one ). Over the last few months, you have been subliminally mentoring me and I definitely appreciate that, thus the compliments!
Also, I wasn't aware I did Analysis, did I by any chance do this by accident? :eek:
CoV is pure awesomeness, really interesting stuff. :p:

Well, yours is :p: I've got an excuse for mine -- I'm doing night shifts at work, and tonight's a night off.
Ah I see, so I guess it's only me who has the issues.
confused456
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago

hi would bw glad if you can solve my problem here,
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post27131332
Choirboy
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
I think I would like to declare the modular grades I obtained on my UCAS apply form as they are mostly good ones. Unfortunately the six units I sat for A2 in 2009 were for a foreign language and edexcel doesn't specify the modular grades in the certificate. Should I go back to school and ask to see the break down?
What are the main pros and cons of specifying the modular grades?
Choirboy
Report 10 years ago
I was also thinking that if many of the top universities ask for UMS scores why does UCAS not cater for this event? Would uni's really prefer to know just the grades instead of the scores?
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
(Original post by Choirboy)
I was also thinking that if many of the top universities ask for UMS scores why does UCAS not cater for this event? Would uni's really prefer to know just the grades instead of the scores?
Only Cambridge does really.
Choirboy
Report 10 years ago
Only Cambridge does really.
I was told also Imperial for maths, but perhaps they got it wrong.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.47%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.51%

Watched Threads