The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

alio~
Just wanted to ask what people think of the Manchester accent? I have it and think it sounds so blant (if thats a word) and boring :confused: Is it a bit of a turn off to people from other locations? Wish I had a southern accent lol.

I don't mind it to be honest

think you have to have the posture to go with it though like Ian Brown of Liam Gallagher

that cockiness about you
Reply 2
I am from manchester and born and bred here but everyone says I don't speak with a mancunian accent :frown:
Reply 3
I've somehow managed to get rid of my scouse accent - now barely have one at all. Unless I've been drinking, then it seems to spark up again? :s: :redface:
Reply 4
zazy
I am from manchester and born and bred here but everyone says I don't speak with a mancunian accent :frown:

:ditto:
i see nothign wrong with the manchester accent, it seems ok, but i have said this befor eon a thread, the only accent that sound boring is the birmingham accent, not that there is anything wrong with it, its jsut shounds nasal and therefor monotonous, but its not really that bad!
Depends who's sounding it :biggrin:. Christopher Eccleston's from Manchester-area, isn't he? He's absolutely lovely :biggrin:.
Reply 7
I've lived in Manchester all my life and although I don't have a regional accent, get called 'posh' a lot; strange really since I live right next to Moss Side :confused:

Maybe it's just me but I don't know what the Manchester accent really sounds like -- to me, it sounds sort of like the Yorkshire one
Reply 8
''Mannnnnnnnchesttaaaa''
Reply 9
Charlie from Lost has the worst Mancunian accent I've ever heard, lol. Get it right!!!

I pronounce a lot of things in a typical northern way but I don't think my accent's particularly Mancunian. Especially since I've gone to uni I've tried to talk a bit more clearly :redface:
mas30520
I've lived in Manchester all my life and although I don't have a regional accent, get called 'posh' a lot; strange really since I live right next to Moss Side :confused:

Maybe it's just me but I don't know what the Manchester accent really sounds like -- to me, it sounds sort of like the Yorkshire one

Posh and Moss Side in the same sentence?! How is this possible? :rolleyes: And noooooooooo - Mancunian accents DO NOT sound like Yorkshire ones! :p:
I don't think I have a particularly strong Manchester accent until I go somewhere else with a strong accent (usually West Mids) where it stands out more.
x :smile: x
Reply 11
People say to me I am not a real manc just becuase of where I live, I have still lived in Manchester all my life. I am as manc as you get, even if my neigbours do all read the guardian and eat lettuce.

Fack I eat lettuce and read the Guardian :frown: I have become a Chorltonite :mad:
i talk wi a sort of manc/bolton mixed together accent for some strange reason

i think the manc accents well nice, but not as nice as the bolton accent, thats well sexy
madferit

the Manchester accent is pretty cool, can be bloody funny at times too
Reply 14
I'm from Bath and so I have a southern accent. I have a good mate who lives in Manchester and I think his accent is really sexy!
I think most people find their own accent boring, but that's only because you hear it all the time.
You don't notice your accent until you go to a different part of the country. If I'm honest, then I really lay the accent on when I'm not in Manchester - especially when I go down south.
Reply 16
emilymckay90
I'm from Bath and so I have a southern accent. I have a good mate who lives in Manchester and I think his accent is really sexy!
I think most people find their own accent boring, but that's only because you hear it all the time.

My boyfriend is from Bath and I think his accent is sexy :p: or at least when he slides into West Country without realising it, muwhahaha.

What's the difference between a Bolton and a Manchester accent? :confused: I've lived in both areas and never noticed a difference!
pikaboo
What's the difference between a Bolton and a Manchester accent? :confused: I've lived in both areas and never noticed a difference!

:eek: theres a massive difference but i really cant explain it
you kno how like peter kay sounds totally different to liam gallagher thats the difference
really cant explain it :redface:
Reply 18
Reply 19
ok cool replies :biggrin: Thing is does the manc accent sound like a 'different accent' to you lot from elsewhere, just it doesnt even sound like an accent to me lol just plain boring talk probably cause ive been brought up with it.

That girl in the link has a voice exactly like mine btw:frown: hate it!