The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How much will annual UCL expenses amount to?

hey, i got into ucl for philosophy&economics :woo:, and i can't wait! But right now i need to sort out my budgeting, before thinking about freshers week :s-smilie:

I saw somewhere that UCL suggest you need £220 a week minimum. If catered accomodation is, say £150, then that's £70 on other things. Can anyone confirm that that's the general expenses situation at UCL? Also, how many weeks a year are we talking about? I think the academic year is 37 weeks included term holidays, but i'm not sure. If thats the case:

220 x 37= £8140 spent over the course of the year

Student loan is only £4988, which means there is a gap of £3152 :frown:
It really depends what you get up to.

If you're catered (Ramsey, for example), then your main outgoings are really just lunch and drinking money. But that in itself depends how often you go out and where you go out.

The London loan is a joke, no one denies that, but a lot of people end up pillaging their savings and/or their parents to get by.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
gjizzle
hey, i got into ucl for philosophy&economics :woo:, and i can't wait! But right now i need to sort out my budgeting, before thinking about freshers week :s-smilie:

I saw somewhere that UCL suggest you need £220 a week minimum. If catered accomodation is, say £150, then that's £70 on other things. Can anyone confirm that that's the general expenses situation at UCL? Also, how many weeks a year are we talking about? I think the academic year is 37 weeks included term holidays, but i'm not sure. If thats the case:

220 x 37= £8140 spent over the course of the year

Student loan is only £4988, which means there is a gap of £3152 :frown:

D: I went through this earlier with my family, and we saw the same gap considering catered gives 10 Meals a week which I hadn't noticed before. x'D;; I was originally going for Self-0catered, but. 8D;

I am quite lucky, my father and his family are going to support me through this, and pay off the Student Loan after, should the economy hold stable. xD;
Reply 3
Do factor in the UCL bursary, if you're entitled to it. I think I'll be able to handle it okay personally, although I find it stupid that they pay you a third close to summer holidays, a time when, should you need to, you can work for 2-3 months.
I'd rather have the money evenly spaced out between oct and may!

Latest

Trending

Trending