The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
I got 52/100 for June 11 when I did it as a past paper.
Original post by aj2010
I got 52/100 for June 11 when I did it as a past paper.

Reply 1042
Original post by areyousure?

AQA. I got a TERRIBLE score, really hoping it was just that paper and not me. I was doing okay on the others.
Original post by aj2010
AQA. I got a TERRIBLE score, really hoping it was just that paper and not me. I was doing okay on the others.

you'll be fine don't worry :smile: does your offer specify that you need to get the grades by January? or are you also allowed to resit in June?

best of luck
I've got to commend you guys, resitters seem to be doing pretty well this year in the battle for medical school places!
Congrats to those with offers and I hope the rest of us hear good news soon!
Reply 1045
I'm a resitter! Missed my offer last year but got an offer this yeah for Leciester!
I'm doing Biology/Chemistry OCR unit 5's.... FML

Also guys, on my UCAS I said I am doing exams in Jan and will get results in March, however I may need to do some exams in June, do you think this will be a problem? My offer just mentioned AAA. And I cash in my results in June so...?
Original post by J DOT A
I'm a resitter! Missed my offer last year but got an offer this yeah for Leciester!
I'm doing Biology/Chemistry OCR unit 5's.... FML

Also guys, on my UCAS I said I am doing exams in Jan and will get results in March, however I may need to do some exams in June, do you think this will be a problem? My offer just mentioned AAA. And I cash in my results in June so...?

Firstly congrats on your offer!! :woo:

And I'm not too sure to be honest, I put down pending August because I wasn't sure when I would cash in.. I think the date you put down is the date your results are automatically forwarded to them..??

- OR I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG

Best thing would be to ring them to find out, it shouldn't be a problem - considering they've just given you an offer (they can't take it back now :tongue:)
Reply 1047
Is it normal that I'm petrified of messing up again. :frown:. I was wondering if you guys could give me advice on something. My ISA's for Chemistry are 52/60 (AS) and 51/60 (A2). Should I re-do them? Just one or both? Overall I need 9ums more. Do alot people get 60/60 for ISA's?.
Good luck for exams too :biggrin:.
Reply 1048
Original post by aj2010
Is it normal that I'm petrified of messing up again. :frown:. I was wondering if you guys could give me advice on something. My ISA's for Chemistry are 52/60 (AS) and 51/60 (A2). Should I re-do them? Just one or both? Overall I need 9ums more. Do alot people get 60/60 for ISA's?.
Good luck for exams too :biggrin:.

I would think those are very high marks for ISAs. From what I have heard from my friends who did AQA Chem ISAs the grade boundaries are just way too high and you would literally have to get full marks to get full UMS. I don't think its worth the effort, you are better of resitting the easier units to try and get those 9 ums more. If you have resat the exams then don't worry, I'm sure you will easily achieve those 9ums, gra that A and leave us resitters behind :smile:
Hey everyone, been around here for a while and decided to tell everyone my story!

Grades:
3A* and 7 As at GCSE
ABBB at AS level first time round
AAAB at AS level after resits.
BBB at A-level first time round
AAA at A level after resits.

First time I applied:

I was predicted AAA. Didnt have a ton of work experience or volunteer work.
UKCAT:640
Applied to Leicester, Southampton, Cardiff and Durham.
I recieved 4 rejections without interview. Had offer for pharmacy.

Well this was horrible, no offer and no interviews. Very dishearting because i thought my grades were good enough. It wasnt nice with people telling me to give up on medicine as well as 4 rejections without interviews is obviously not a good thing but i persisted. I didnt want to give in after one hurdle and i thought that if i got the grades then i can repply.

Second time i applied:

Came out with BBB at A level in biology, chemistry and psychology. I had basically given up when results came out but before i was to start pharmacy i decided i couldnt just give in so easily so i took a gap year and reapplied. because i was so focused on the grades i didnt organise any work experience and so my personal statement was still lacking but i tried applying anyways.

Grades:BBB
UKCAT:672.5
Applied to Liverpool, keele, east anglia and lancester.

I had one interview at Liverpool and got rejected post interview. I was also rejected from the other universities without interviews. At this point i was obviously very upset and it seemed like medicine just wasnt for me. I was in college when i resat my exams. I got AAB at janurary and after my summer resits i came out with AAA so going from BBB to AAA is possible! You just need to work hard and maybe change the way you revise and be brutally honest with how much you revise and the amount of work you put in. Is it enough? I had done a lot more work experience and especially volunteer work now.

Third time:

Grades:AAA
UKCAT:677.5
Applied to Peninsula, Liverpool, Keele and Brighton & Sussex.

After doing some research i thought these were the best for me as Keele for example wanted resitters to apply only if they have the grades which i did manage. My PS had 4 weeks of work experience and around 2 years of volunteer work at different organisations at this point.

I have just recieved an unconditional from Peninsula.
Had an interview at Keele but havent heard back yet.
And waiting on Liverpool and Brighton, i had an interview invitation at liverpool last year around february so there is still time for another if i'm lucky!

But yes, i will be going to med school now and has made my second gap year so worth the effort and risk. Just hope this little story brings hope to those who may become disheartened at this crucial time but to also say its never to late to go and if you believe in yourself and know 100% that you want to become a doctor, there is no reason why you shouldnt.

From being told i had barely any chance with BBB at A level first time round from parents, friends and teachers. I knew i could do it and i did.

Hope this helps all those doing resits or arent too sure whether or not to reapply again because they think there chances are nil!

Advice: Apply tactically to the universities! Make sure it isn't a wasted option. Med school is med school.

Good luck everyone else :smile:
Reply 1050
Original post by myyrh
I would think those are very high marks for ISAs. From what I have heard from my friends who did AQA Chem ISAs the grade boundaries are just way too high and you would literally have to get full marks to get full UMS. I don't think its worth the effort, you are better of resitting the easier units to try and get those 9 ums more. If you have resat the exams then don't worry, I'm sure you will easily achieve those 9ums, gra that A and leave us resitters behind :smile:

I'm only resitting unit 5 as I knew with Unit 4 I just scraped that somehow and the others I don't think I could do any better. I have A's in all the units apart from unit 5. Who knew one unit would make such a difference/ For unit 5 I got 72 Ums which is borderline for C and then it went down to 71 with remark. I hope somehow I do alot better than a D/C.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!. :biggrin:
Original post by AndrewWong92
Hey everyone, been around here for a while and decided to tell everyone my story!

Grades:
3A* and 7 As at GCSE

First time I applied:

Well this was horrible, no offer and no interviews. Very dishearting because i thought my grades were good enough. It wasnt nice with people telling me to give up on medicine as well as 4 rejections without interviews is obviously not a good thing but i persisted. I didnt want to give in after one hurdle and i thought that if i got the grades then i can repply.

Second time i applied:

Came out with BBB at A level in biology, chemistry and psychology. I had basically given up when results came out but before i was to start pharmacy i decided i couldnt just give in so easily so i took a gap year and reapplied. because i was so focused on the grades i didnt organise any work experience and so my personal statement was still lacking but i tried applying anyways.

I had one interview at Liverpool and got rejected post interview. I was also rejected from the other universities without interviews. At this point i was obviously very upset and it seemed like medicine just wasnt for me. I was in college when i resat my exams. I got AAB at janurary and after my summer resits i came out with AAA so going from BBB to AAA is possible! You just need to work hard and maybe change the way you revise and be brutally honest with how much you revise and the amount of work you put in. Is it enough? I had done a lot more work experience and especially volunteer work now.

Third time:

After doing some research i thought these were the best for me as Keele for example wanted resitters to apply only if they have the grades which i did manage. My PS had 4 weeks of work experience and around 2 years of volunteer work at different organisations at this point.

And waiting on Liverpool and Brighton, i had an interview invitation at liverpool last year around february so there is still time for another if i'm lucky!

But yes, i will be going to med school now and has made my second gap year so worth the effort and risk. Just hope this little story brings hope to those who may become disheartened at this crucial time but to also say its never to late to go and if you believe in yourself and know 100% that you want to become a doctor, there is no reason why you shouldnt.

From being told i had barely any chance with BBB at A level first time round from parents, friends and teachers. I knew i could do it and i did.

Hope this helps all those doing resits or arent too sure whether or not to reapply again because they think there chances are nil!

Advice: Apply tactically to the universities! Make sure it isn't a wasted option. Med school is med school.

Applying three times really reflects the heart and determination needed to propel you not just through medical school, but through life. I'm sure 2 cycles of 4 rejections is enough to break the majority of applicants so I'm really impressed with your perseverance and wish u every success in the future, i know you'll be a great doctor! Good luck!
Reply 1052
Original post by AndrewWong92

Grades:
3A* and 7 As at GCSE

First time I applied:

Second time i applied:

Third time:

That is AMAZING!. Congratulations. Thankyou for posting this. Your story will be an inspirtation to us and anyone that could be in our position in the future.
After all the stress of not meeting my offer last year I have just received an offer to study medicine at PCMD. Don't give up hope.
Original post by Abbasmerali
After all the stress of not meeting my offer last year I have just received an offer to study medicine at PCMD. Don't give up hope.

congrats and what are your academics like???

Congrats, this is my second attempt at Medicine and I only have Liverpool left now. Just about to give up hope :frown:

Sucks :/
Original post by Doctor.
Congrats, this is my second attempt at Medicine and I only have Liverpool left now. Just about to give up hope :frown:

Sucks :/

I'm waiting on liverpool too, we have til march! It's my first choice but anywhere is great for medicine. To the guy above you my academics are fairly average.

AAB a level
6A*s 4As gcse
725 UKCAT
I'm waiting on liverpool too, we have til march! It's my first choice but anywhere is great for medicine. To the guy above you my academics are fairly average.

AAB a level
6A*s 4As gcse
725 UKCAT

you have amazing stats!!!

did u go camp hill boys??? just read one of our posts lol
Original post by undertaker1
you have amazing stats!!!

did u go camp hill boys??? just read one of our posts lol

Yeah I did... Do I know you?
Yeah I did... Do I know you?

nah u dont know me lol