The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
EcstaticMuse
I think it's different for international students. Like, I can see everything from the reference to my predicted scores. But I haven't changed anything. Mainly because she has yet to put it in! And I'm slightly anxious as I gave her my password and login and don't want her snooping around. :s-smilie:

Hahaha there can't be anything very private on there, can there?? I'm not sure if my tutor took my password from me, she did take some details off every person in the class (the senior tutor who we met once a week wrote our references).. but with ours, they were wrote and then attached to the application.. I think teachers sort of have their own 'log in portal' where they can access parts of our application etc.. We couldn't see our predicted scores on ours either, which sort of strengthens my belief that teachers have some seperate portal :p:

jayjaybird33
Probably so..

haha I'm not going to change what she said.. I just hope my other reference gets to me in time so I don't have to use this one.. :s-smilie:

She typed it up on a piece of paper and I'm just going to copy what she said into the box. I didn't want her to have access to my UCAS app. :p:

Aaaahh, hopefully you will get the other reference in time :frown: is there noone else you could also ask?? Maybe get a round up of different references and then choose the best? :p:
mel0n
Aaaahh, hopefully you will get the other reference in time :frown: is there noone else you could also ask?? Maybe get a round up of different references and then choose the best? :p:

Sadly no. At my school you're only going to have a teacher for 5 months out of the 4 years. So most of my past teachers that could write a good rec. probably don't even remember me as I tend to be super quite in my harder classes.

Now all of my elective teachers remember me because I was the loud social girl in class who had everybody laughing with me.... and never did my work. :biggrin:

So I realllly only have two teachers who can write it. :frown:
Reply 222
Sooo... anyone else really tired of their senior year? I really do not think I can handle 8 more months of this!!
Ahh!

Also, on a separate note, anyone taking the SATs again OCT 9? If so, are you waiting until you receive your scores to submit your UCAS application or will you send them after? I would really like to submit mine as soon as possible.. . . .. . . ..
Reply 223
EcstaticMuse
I think it's different for international students. Like, I can see everything from the reference to my predicted scores. But I haven't changed anything. Mainly because she has yet to put it in! And I'm slightly anxious as I gave her my password and login and don't want her snooping around. :s-smilie:

Did your teacher give you predicted scores for all your AP classes? Even the ones she does not teach? I feel that my teacher will find it very strange to predict how I am going to do on an exam they do not know much of.
Reply 224
Wow this American application/prediction stuff seems so different :p: One teacher predicts ALL your grades for you?!?!
Great. So frustrated right now because my teacher promised I didn't have to stay after school (the reason for which I gave her my login) and told me she would email me with any problems. I, too, have a typed up version of a letter but it's hardly as good as I know the one she wrote is. Just because she happens to have a wider range of vocabulary and eloquence. So, I stupidly trusted her, went home, waited until now to check UCAS to make sure everything was in order (as I'd been waiting anxiously to send it out TONIGHT) and guess what? Nothing. Nothing was filled in, not the reference and not the predicted scores. I specifically gave her my email in case there were any problems as she's not used to doing this but no email either! URGH! Sorry, tensions running high at the moment. Really wish she would have either told me to stay or emailed me so we could have gotten it done. Now I have to wait until tomorrow. /rant
acbi3
Sooo... anyone else really tired of their senior year? I really do not think I can handle 8 more months of this!!
Ahh!

Also, on a separate note, anyone taking the SATs again OCT 9? If so, are you waiting until you receive your scores to submit your UCAS application or will you send them after? I would really like to submit mine as soon as possible.. . . .. . . ..

I'm so ready to be done with my senior year it's riddic. I don't even talk to anybody anymore. I'm so tired of my so called "friends" thinking they can treat me like ****/ignore me and make snide comments about me all the time because my family is rather well off. :mad:

I also can't stand where I live. Everyone makes judgemental comments based on race. If you're not white they will talk bad about you behind your back and sterotype you.

Thank God half the school forgets I'm mixed (half black/half white, I'm really "white" looking :p: ) or else school would have been more hellish for me.

Also if you speak Spanish the school will hate you. I heard a girl yesterday say that "It pisses me off how they write things in English and in Spanish I mean this is American not Mexico!" :mad: Maybe this makes me angrier because I'm doing linguistics and I basically worship all langauages :yep:

But still, needless to say I'm getting as far away from here as possible :woo:

Sorry for the rant :p:
Reply 227
jayjaybird33
I'm so ready to be done with my senior year it's riddic. I don't even talk to anybody anymore. I'm so tired of my so called "friends" thinking they can treat me like ****/ignore me and make snide comments about me all the time because my family is rather well off. :mad:

I also can't stand where I live. Everyone makes judgemental comments based on race. If you're not white they will talk bad about you behind your back and sterotype you.

Thank God half the school forgets I'm mixed (half black/half white, I'm really "white" looking :p: ) or else school would have been more hellish for me.

Also if you speak Spanish the school will hate you. I heard a girl yesterday say that "It pisses me off how they write things in English and in Spanish I mean this is American not Mexico!" :mad: Maybe this makes me angrier because I'm doing linguistics and I basically worship all langauages :yep:

Ooh, that sucks. I know how that is with the Spanish thing, though. I live in Texas, so there can be alot of tension when it comes to the whole immigration issue. It's really annoying whenever someone just soaks in their own ignorance and rants on about how everyone should know English, etc.

And I think everyone's ready to be done with senior year, god. If I had to stay here another year I'd cry myself to sleep every night.

Also LINGUISTICS WHAT UP
Reply 228
catsss
If I had to stay here another year I'd cry myself to sleep every night.

I already do, the only thing that is keeping me sane are college applications... because they are my ticket out of here! I am trying to find as many in Europe to apply to as possible.
jayjaybird33

Tough one here. Couple issues. Number one its Arkansas, with a pretty solid history of racism (little rock 9, etc.). Two, there is growing anti-hispanic sentiment in America. It goes through contraction and expansion phases, but I've noticed it to be on the rise. Likely fueled by misconceptions created by left wing media, and stirred up by the right wing.

Hate to make a broad generalization here, but the British are not nearly as politically correct as Americans. You are going to see the equivalent of what you experienced, magnified. Seriously, just having a look through these forums should give you an idea. Hundreds of posts on "too many blacks, asians, etc. at X uni."

Honestly, wherever you go stereotypes and racism is going to exist. France is literally shipping out the gypsies, you have a couple British nutcases (equivalent to some of the hardlined religious and political fanatics here) who are preaching that Britain has lost it's white dominance, I mean I could go all day with this. Don't leave the US thinking you can escape it. I honestly believe the US is one of the more tolerant countries.
acbi3
Ahh!

Im going to submit mine after i get the scores from my SAT I and II which is gonna be on mid november or something. :s-smilie:
jayjaybird33

WOW thats harsh, although here in cali everything is just equal. no racism or something, and in DC most of the people who live there are spanish and black.

that will really piss me off too, some people are just ignorants.
acbi3
I already do, the only thing that is keeping me sane are college applications... because they are my ticket out of here! I am trying to find as many in Europe to apply to as possible.

omg me too. i cant wait to get the hell out of here, the place is just depressing. :frown: does your parents approve you about this decision? how about your finance situation?
adam0311
Tough one here. Couple issues. Number one its Arkansas, with a pretty solid history of racism (little rock 9, etc.). Two, there is growing anti-hispanic sentiment in America. It goes through contraction and expansion phases, but I've noticed it to be on the rise. Likely fueled by misconceptions created by left wing media, and stirred up by the right wing.

Hate to make a broad generalization here, but the British are not nearly as politically correct as Americans. You are going to see the equivalent of what you experienced, magnified. Seriously, just having a look through these forums should give you an idea. Hundreds of posts on "too many blacks, asians, etc. at X uni."

Honestly, wherever you go stereotypes and racism is going to exist. France is literally shipping out the gypsies, you have a couple British nutcases (equivalent to some of the hardlined religious and political fanatics here) who are preaching that Britain has lost it's white dominance, I mean I could go all day with this. Don't leave the US thinking you can escape it. I honestly believe the US is one of the more tolerant countries.

I had this long logical reply .. and then my browser shut off :eek3:

So in short:
Yes I know.
catsss
Ooh, that sucks. I know how that is with the Spanish thing, though. I live in Texas, so there can be alot of tension when it comes to the whole immigration issue. It's really annoying whenever someone just soaks in their own ignorance and rants on about how everyone should know English, etc.

And I think everyone's ready to be done with senior year, god. If I had to stay here another year I'd cry myself to sleep every night.

Also LINGUISTICS WHAT UP

I'd kill myself if I had to do one more year.

You're doing linguistics too!?!?!?! Sweet!! :biggrin: Where are you applying too?!
Reply 235
You are all so lucky to be allowed to study in a different country :colondollar:
One last thing before I go do something useful with my life other than trolling around on the internet...

Personal Statements. Do you guys know of a place on the internet that will look at it for me? I know there is that forum here but they told me that I'm unlikley to get it looked at before I need it since its an updated draft :s-smilie:.
mel0n
You are all so lucky to be allowed to study in a different country :colondollar:

It was certainly a trying process, though! You cannot imagine how much research had to be done to prove that it really is a better alternative than staying here. I'd be incredibly depressed if I had to stay. :frown:
Reply 238
EcstaticMuse
It was certainly a trying process, though! You cannot imagine how much research had to be done to prove that it really is a better alternative than staying here. I'd be incredibly depressed if I had to stay. :frown:

Do you live in Brazil or Atlanta? :\ lol! And awwwww hopefully you will enjoy it here in the UK :smile: :smile:
mel0n
Do you live in Brazil or Atlanta? :\ lol! And awwwww hopefully you will enjoy it here in the UK :smile: :smile:

I live in Atlanta, was born in Canada, and my parents are both Brazilian. Go figure! Thanks! :biggrin:

I'm certainly hoping I will. I mean, I keep telling my mom that the one downside is being so far away from her. I'm not one of those "I hate my parents, I'm getting as far away as possible" which is why it makes this whole thing really hard on me but I know, deep down, that I could not be happy here. I've been here for 12 years. Can't keep doing it. And nothing against America, just that for what I want to do/be, it's not the right place.

I'm just really going to miss my family. :o:

Quick Reply

Latest