Should you pay higher university fees? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Bilbow
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi im researching into what the government should provide, and need to get a bit of a discussion going if u can, for my a-level coursework.
Should the government increase fees? why? why not?
thanx
urs bilbow
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi,

I think that British education is seriously underfunded. Whilst student numbers have increased greatly, funding has remained static. This meanst that per student funding has decreased dramatically.

As a consequence, facilities and salaries and underfunded. The brightest academics go to the states and elsewhere. There is a "brain drain".

At the same time, there is equality and "social justice". Education, some state, should be a right, not a privilege.

How then, to reconcile the two? Should we introduce tuition fees? Should we have an Austrialian style "graduate tax"? Or should the taxpayers simply pay up for something that benefits society?

Clearly, things can not remain as they are. Money needs to come from somewhere. Many in the Blair cabinet assert that as Higher Education confers great benefits upon the individual student, they themselves should pay for it. This doesn't go down well with impassioned idealists. Futhermore, there is the issue of the "creeping of the market". If education is in essence "privatised", the ideology of the market creeps in to the formative years of many student's ideologies. This worries the left.

To be honest, I have no real opinion. It doesn't concern me. I have enough money to pay for my course, and, call me selfish, I'm too busy sorting out my own problems to worry about the state of the world. How unstudent like of me.
HelenBrownsell
Report 16 years ago
The thing that annoys me more than anything about raising fees is that the government want to get more people into uni but surely by increasing the fees, they will put some people off.

Maybe there should be some long term plan to pay it off. Such as a slight raise in students tax when they leave work which gradually pays off the loan. However, if some students want to pay the loan of in chunks, I dont see the problem.

One thing that concerned me about things such as the students loan and the amount of the fee each person has to pay is that when you fill out the forms, they do not include step parents. I live with my mum and stepfather (since I was three) and dont know my real father but the LEA only considered my mothers income. Surely they loose money this way? I dont want to start a debate about whether step parents should and are willing to pay but maybe it could be a thing to consider.

Also, does the LEA consider how many children a family has at university? It must scare some parents to think that the fee is going up and they have more than one child to support.

Thats all for now. If I think of anything else, Ill let you know. Hope your coursework goes well. I think you should get a decent response and a very broad view.

Helen Brownsell
Bilbow
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
thanx guys
this is making me think about university too, i believe in equality, should this mean allowing everyone to study or leaving it up to direct connections to the student therefore less tax for those people who are not going to benefit from their education and who should be relieved of this tax?
keep it up thanx
Bilbow
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%