The Student Room Group

How much protein in a whole chicken (1.7kg)

Just wondering if anyone knew how much protein there is in a whole chicken.... so all the bits combined... I could work it out.... but don't have accurate measurements on the weight of each bit.

Do you guys reckon 1 chicken a day is enough for meat alone XD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
a skinned chicken minus bones is 50% of whole weight

so 700g cooked chicken there
Reply 2
really? dam... also the density/protein content of breast vs thigh/wing/drumstick is very different. All things considered would 20% average of 700 be a decent approximation....

If so thats a mere 140g... which is aight before adding protein shakes I guess.... since I'm still cutting.
Reply 3
Adonis.

Nice maths.
Adonis.

lol, adonis. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
It will loose weight during cooking, and different parts have different values, chicken legs for example are considered red meat, while the breast is white.
Reply 6
so... anyone got a better guesstimation?
redbuthotter
If so thats a mere 140g... which is aight before adding protein shakes I guess.... since I'm still cutting.

There's more than 140g of protein in a whole damned cooked chicken, and a cooked chicken per day is plenty of protein for someone your weight.
Reply 8
Smack
There's more than 140g of protein in a whole damned cooked chicken, and a cooked chicken per day is plenty of protein for someone your weight.

Agreed!!

To the OP how much protien do you actually think you need???
Reply 9
it is about 50%

last time I weighed it ....

a 1kg chicken has 200g skin, 240g bones and 560g actual meat.

this is uncooked weight, and I just took the meat of the bones and weighed on my kitchen scales

there's more than 60g of water released when you cook it

so 50-60% depending on the type of chicken, so 50% isn't that bad as a first estimation
Could you imagine actually eating a whole cooked chicken a day?
lol idk really... I'm not eating carbs apart from morning and pre WO... so cals just coming from meat, veg and shakes. shooting for 150 - 200 a day but more is welcome...

MattGriff
Agreed!!

To the OP how much protien do you actually think you need???

I'm gonna have gone through boths breasts by around 3pm.... its just too easy.... That leaves me a couple legs for 1st and 2nd dinner..

Reflexive
Could you imagine actually eating a whole cooked chicken a day?
MattGriff
It will loose weight during cooking, and different parts have different values, chicken legs for example are considered red meat, while the breast is white.

Chick in sig. Best ass ever! :coma:
Reply 13
How many calories does it have?
redbuthotter
lol idk really... I'm not eating carbs apart from morning and pre WO... so cals just coming from meat, veg and shakes. shooting for 150 - 200 a day but more is welcome...

Why not?
Trying to rip out the pack... kind of stalling now though.... I'm just maintaining for a while then going for another push in a few weeks. I don't feel like I'm dieting I eat before I'm hungry.

Smack
Why not?
Reply 16
Planto
Nice maths.

note the word COOKED

I was referring to a chicken being by-weight 50% meat uncooked

and I just accounted X amount for water-loss
Does it not say on the wrapper?
Don't think so... will check later... its hard to take an average of all the different bits.... the only scientific way would be to cut the thing up and weigh the lean and fat bits.
Reply 19
Adonis.
note the word COOKED

I was referring to a chicken being by-weight 50% meat uncooked

and I just accounted X amount for water-loss

Show your working next time. 2 marks out of 5.

Quick Reply

Latest