The Student Room Group

Applying to UCL/LSE without GCSEs?

I completed my IB Diploma last year, but it didn’t go as well as I’d hoped and now I’m doing A-levels in 1 year. However, I never sat any GCSEs.

If I apply this September only with predicted A-level grades and no GCSE grades do you think I would stand a chance in getting a place at a competitive university like LSE, UCL or Warwick?

Does it even make sense to apply to those universities only with good A-level predictions and no GCSEs? :confused:
Reply 1
Will you mention your IB score?
Reply 2
asdfg0987
Will you mention your IB score?

31 points
Reply 3
If you haven't done them they can't penalise you for it. There are plenty of foreign applicants who have not taken GCSEs.

What were your IB scores?

Edit: in more detail please
Reply 4
well i know some people who got into SOAS without gcse's if it helps
You might want to get your referee to say in the reference why you didn't get GCSEs.
Reply 6
I meant in the UCAS form. Without any solid academic achievements how are they going to determine the quality of the applicant? It's best to actually get the results and applying imo. And most successful international applicants have a certificate like O Levels etc if they don't have gsces
Reply 7
deathbeforeimmortality
You might want to get your referee to say in the reference why you didn't get GCSEs.

I agree, but isn't the problem that most competitive universities use GCSEs as a means to distinguish between the dozens of candidates who are predicted AAA?
EskimoPol
I agree, but isn't the problem that most competitive universities use GCSEs as a means to distinguish between the dozens of candidates who are predicted AAA?

Yes and this may be a huge disadvantage to you OP.

If you have equivalent quals then you should contact admissions of the uni's concerned and see where they stand.
Reply 9
asdfg0987
I meant in the UCAS form. Without any solid academic achievements
how are they going to determine the quality of the applicant? It's best to actually get the results and applying imo. And most successful international applicants have a certificate like O Levels etc if they don't have gsces

GCSE and solid achievements in the same sentence?

And no that is wrong, too. O levels are just in those ex-colony countries of Britain.

At OP - if you don't have them you don't have them. Don't worry.

I'd be more concerned that you want to go to LSE with 31 IB points.
danny111

And no that is wrong, too. O levels are just in those ex-colony countries of Britain.

*qualifications

And they are not considered international applicants? And no, they are only offered by british boards to any private schools who ask for them. And the et cetera at the end meant that it's just one of the secondary certificates international applicants use.

And I doubt anyone, regardless of nationality, got into LSE with no GCSEs or equivalent and not meeting the minimum requirements for any of the courses, and just A Level predictions.
Reply 11
danny111

The 31 points in IB are the reason why I'm contemplating on doing A-levels.
Reply 12
EskimoPol
The 31 points in IB are the reason why I'm contemplating on doing A-levels.

I figured. My point was why do you think you will do that much better at A levels - particularly if you do them in one year (although I guess you will be doing courses where the syllabus is very similiar?).

Furthermore I agree with the other dude (only generally not his specifics) that if you don't state your IB score (and you should else it is fraud almost) and you have actually no other qualification, then only on predicted grades you won't get in (also why should your teachers predict you As and A*s if you only managed 31 IB points?).
Reply 13
asdfg0987
*qualifications

And they are not considered international applicants? And no, they are only offered by british boards to any private schools who ask for them. And the et cetera at the end meant that it's just one of the secondary certificates international applicants use.

And I doubt anyone, regardless of nationality, got into LSE with no GCSEs or equivalent and not meeting the minimum requirements for any of the courses, and just A Level predictions.

And who might those private schools be or rather where.

And you are already backtracking ('or equivalent'). My point was that if you don't have GCSEs it really doesn't matter. It's the fact that OP doesn't have any qualification that he wants to show that matters.
Reply 14
you need gcses
Reply 15
danny111
I figured. My point was why do you think you will do that much better at A levels - particularly if you do them in one year (although I guess you will be doing courses where the syllabus is very similiar?).

Furthermore I agree with the other dude (only generally not his specifics) that if you don't state your IB score (and you should else it is fraud almost) and you have actually no other qualification, then only on predicted grades you won't get in (also why should your teachers predict you As and A*s if you only managed 31 IB points?).

In IB I took Spanish, Bio, Chem and Maths HL, so if i do A-levels i'll take similar courses. I want to do A-levels because I believe (as do most people on this forum) that they are going to be easier and slightly more straight-forward than IB. Just compare Maths HL with A-level Maths!

However, if everyone agrees that without any GCSEs or other formal qualifications, A-level predicted grades are useless I doubt I will contemplate doing them. Even if I get predicted A's and A*'s, once unis see my IB score, especially if I'm applying for a competitive course, I doubt I stand a chance of getting a place.
danny111
And who might those private schools be or rather where.

And you are already backtracking ('or equivalent'). My point was that if you don't have GCSEs it really doesn't matter. It's the fact that OP doesn't have any qualification that he wants to show that matters.

My country's education system (http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/informationForInternationalStudents/countryRegion/oceania/newzealand.aspx) for example doesn't have any GCSEs or O Levels, but I did them from an independent private school. And I'm quite sure it's the same for any other 'ex colonies' of Britain, as you mentioned. And no I am not backtracking, you can understand that if you re read my previous posts. Anyway this is not relevant to the thread so there's no point in discussing this.

OP, you could always send them an e mail or call them up, but it's not likely you will get in with just A Level predictions.
Reply 17
My friend applied for Government at LSE (when he applied he already had an A at A2, ended up with AAABB) without GCSEs due to living in Spain during years 9-11, and recieved a straight rejection.
Reply 18
anyone else?

Latest