Excaping Gerbil Watch

Serotonin_<3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've had two gerbils for about 3 months and they are really nice to hold and tame now (eat out ur hand ect). The only problem is they keep excaping -.-! I had them in a Fish tank with lid on but one of them sneakily managed to push the lid up and excape. Luckily i found her in my open underwear draw where she had fallen from her cage! Tho i did have to wash all the underwear i owned in one go /sigh.

Anyways...So i started putting a book onto of the tank lid so she couldnt puah up the lid. This worked for a while but my gerbils love to chew plasic. When the discovered the roof was plasic...Well lets just say it was a gerbil shaped hole. 3 hours of hunting later i found her in the shoe cuboard scared to death (proberly because we have 3 cats!!!)

So...what cage do you have that is gerbil proff!? I heard of something called a gerbilarm or something...What does it look like -.-! And is it excape proof?

Also...what do you give your gerbil/hamster to chew that lasts a long time. Mine chew through toys in 2-3 days tops! And i dont want to give them toilet roll because i heard the glue used to stick the cardboard together can kill them -.-!!

Thanks

xxxx
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try not to spend too much money - they'll be dead in a year or so anyway.
Serotonin_<3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Addzter)
:eek:
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Serotonin_<3)
:eek:
:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
Serotonin_<3
Rep:
?
Lol! yea i know but i still think they are super sweet lil pets tho Even if they have a short shelf life :P

My hamster lived 3.5 years tho!!
tieyourmotherdown
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh god mine did exactly the same. Theyre kept in a fish tank which in the middle had a wire mesh thing, with gaps about 1x1 inch. None of the other gerbils we've had have managed to escape but these ones were jumping up, grabbing hold with their teeth and pulling themselves through. You can still hear them doing at night, except they just jump up and hit the roof because we put a wooden block over the mesh :p: They still haven't learned :facepalm:

But yeah wood works well.

(Also on the toilet roll front, we've been giving them the tubes for years and they've all lived a normal life expectancy so don't worry about it But also if your gerbils die mysteriously and you happen to start giving them toilet rolls after this, don't blame me :p: )
Normandy114
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Our gerbils lived for 3 years. You could try a metal mesh lid, which would probably work. Also, we gave to toilet roll tubes to chew on and they were fine.
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I keep mine in a rotastak attached to a tank with a mesh lid and it's fantastic for them as there are plenty of tunnels and digging spaces to entertain them.

a gerbilarium is a tank with a wire cage on the top - like this

that one is particularly cool because the tank is actually a vivarium (the top section of the tank is sliding doors) so you can access the gerbils in the tank without taking the top off.

Be aware if you get a gerbilarium that you need to find one big enough (the ones I've seen in pets at home are tiny) and that you'll need to cover the mesh floors in cardboard as it's bad for their feet.

toys
I give them whole toilet rolls, thick cardboard tubes from the kodak machines at work (last ages if you can get hold of them), wooden toys, a huge mushroom house gnaw block and rotastak tubes with metal end caps on so they can't ruin them.
BrachiosaurusRex
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They're only three months old now, what do you DO to your gerbils?? :P

As for cages, ask if anyone you know has any old cage bits you could have, since they're not much use to them if they don't have the pet any more! Just make sure you wash it out well, my gerbils used to get all jealous and nippy if they smelt other rodents... I got loads of Rotastak stuff off friends, and it was pretty good. Didn't stop them escaping entirely, of course, but then these are gerbils we're talking about!
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BrachiosaurusRex)
They're only three months old now, what do you DO to your gerbils?? :P
I put them in bird cages made of ivory, feed them parsley sandwiches and make them to dance to the tune of Dad's Army.
BrachiosaurusRex
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I put them in bird cages made of ivory, feed them parsley sandwiches and make them to dance to the tune of Dad's Army.
See I tried that, and one of them lasted five years... as did the smell of parsley that filled my bedroom.
Spanishdream
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My Gerbils lived for six years, so don't listen to the f**ktard who said that.

They're a pain for escaping and I suggest a total lock down. The tank you have now sounds ideal though you may need a heavier lid if it pushed up through it. They're very strong, clever and will chew through anything. Put something heavy on top (not too heavy of course) so that it will be impossible for them to push it through.

Whatever you do, do not put them in a cage. If you want to sleep at night that is. They will chew those bars until they have no teeth left.

My gerbils had over 300 babies in the end. At one point, I had 89 Gerbils all together (separate tanks of course). They interbreed, so if you're planning to bred them, you may get runts. Runts are normally albino though I had one or two deformed gerbils (odd legs, nothing major) that went on to live long, long lives. Keep an eye out for runts because they will be bullied by the others and may starve to death.
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BrachiosaurusRex)
See I tried that, and one of them lasted five years... as did the smell of parsley that filled my bedroom.
Ha! :awesome:
kellymichelle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
id be worried tbf if my gerbils lived to 6 years...

i loved my gerbils. everyone thinks theyr pointless but theyre the cutest pets ever.
we had a 2 storey cage with wire mesh at the top and they didnt get out but the cage wasnt very big.

my gerbils got really ill though imstill traumatised by it.

haha. one of them got a brain tumor

i think they lived for about 2 years
kellymichelle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh and they love toilet roll.
its not the actual loo roll paper.. only the tube tho lol
they do chew it quickly but it doesnt matter cause ull only throw it in the bin if u dont give it to them..
Spanishdream
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kellymichelle)
id be worried tbf if my gerbils lived to 6 years...
The life span for a Gerbil is 4-5 years, it's not that weird.
kellymichelle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
are u sure :s iv never known a gerbil to live for 4 years..
kellymichelle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Spanishdream)
The life span for a Gerbil is 4-5 years, it's not that weird.

its 2 - 4 years. look it up.
Spanishdream
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kellymichelle)
its 2 - 4 years. look it up.
It depends on the species. Russian dwarf hamsters are the ones who live for two to four years maximum. Anything higher than that is pushing legendary.

I'm going on personal experience as I've had over one hundred of them (those I have kept from breeding). If they're given proper food, clean water daily and steer clear of food items sold in pet shop mixes like sunflower seeds, the average was five. My oldest pairing was five and a half and six.

If a Gerbil lived for only two years, something wasn't right or it was badly treated. They need daily exercise and fresh water provided daily. Many people think they're just there and will get by living in their own squalor for two weeks, fresh water every few days and any standard pet shop food. Not an easy pet to keep if kept properly.
kellymichelle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Spanishdream)
It depends on the species. Russian dwarf hamsters are the ones who live for two to four years maximum. Anything higher than that is pushing legendary.

I'm going on personal experience as I've had over one hundred of them (those I have kept from breeding). If they're given proper food, clean water daily and steer clear of food items sold in pet shop mixes like sunflower seeds, the average was five. My oldest pairing was five and a half and six.

If a Gerbil lived for only two years, something wasn't right or it was badly treated. They need daily exercise and fresh water provided daily. Many people think they're just there and will get by living in their own squalor for two weeks, fresh water every few days and any standard pet shop food. Not an easy pet to keep if kept properly.

mine wer not ill treated, we had them running about whenever we had the chance, very time consuming..

i loved them lil things though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.59%
Disagree (5)
6.33%
Neither agree or disagree (22)
27.85%
Agree (32)
40.51%
Strongly Agree (14)
17.72%

Watched Threads