Breaking News - Harold Shipman is found hanging in his cell Watch

This discussion is closed.
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
All I can say is that I am not too surprised.

It is a burden that the Prison service no longer have to contend with.

My sympathy is with the families of the victims who wanted to see him 'do his time'.

Adam
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byb3)

My sympathy is with the families of the victims who wanted to see him 'do his time'.

Adam
so is ian huntley next?
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
so is ian huntley next?
They aren't really in the same league when you think about it. Huntley had an outburst of violence in which he killed 2 girls.
Shipman systematically terminated over 200 people. Solo
Glad he's dead, I think she should have hung anyway (after a time period like this)
J
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ian Huntley has already tried it once so it wouldnt surprise me at all. Especially now he is under suspicion for other things.
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
saves tax payer's money.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its about time he went, he only deserves to die just like his victims did
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
its about time he went, he only deserves to die just like his victims did
that sounds a bit revengeful..........lol
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
They aren't really in the same league when you think about it. Huntley had an outburst of violence in which he killed 2 girls.
Shipman systematically terminated over 200 people. Solo
Glad he's dead, I think she should have hung anyway (after a time period like this)
J
Any murder is bad murder, i don't think you can differentiate between those two, they both abused positions of trust to do evil things. Anyway, i'm glad he did it but i think it would have been better for the family is he rotted in jail. Mind you, if you brought back the death penalty then the taxpayer would have saved a whole lot of money...
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm surprised he killed himself to be honest. He was a bit of a trouble maker inside and was always riling people up for the sake of it apparantly. I thought he was genuinly a stronger person than that. Guess he was just a weak old man after all.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
I'm surprised he killed himself to be honest. He was a bit of a trouble maker inside and was always riling people up for the sake of it apparantly. I thought he was genuinly a stronger person than that. Guess he was just a weak old man after all.
He's a total nutter.

200+ murders. No admission of it. No remorse. No explanation.

There was something seriously wrong with him.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
He's a total nutter.

WHen I look at it they weren't your typical murders. They were all of old people, a lot of them had been ill for quite some time. I'm not saying I'm agreeing with his actions, but he never went around "slicing and dicing" his victims, nor to the best of my knowledge did he claim he loved killing people etc. one could argue that he was a bit power mad and he saw what he was doing as being one of those "angels of mercy"

what do others think?
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
He's a total nutter.

i agree
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
He's a total nutter.

However now he's not serving his sentence anymore. He's no longer bothered about it becuase he's dead. He should have suffered for much longer in my opinion, just as he made others suffer.
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
However now he's not serving his sentence anymore. He's no longer bothered about it becuase he's dead. He should have suffered for much longer in my opinion, just as he made others suffer.
Exactly.

He never admitted to what he did and the families of his victims will never know why he did it.

But I guess he could have spent the rest of his life in prison and never told anyway.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by .NK)
Exactly.

He never admitted to what he did and the families of his victims will never know why he did it.

But I guess he could have spent the rest of his life in prison and never told anyway.
To be honest, I dont think he wouldve turned around in x amount of time and said actually yeah, i did it etc. And even if he had, any explanation for his actions would never be enough to console the relatives really. Perhaps it's better off with him dead, I mean i know he's not suffering anymore but at least relatives dont have to think that he's still alive somewhere. Maybe they will be better able to draw a line under things knowing he's gone for good.

In response to comparison to ian huntley.. i don't think it's fair to compare the 2 situations, they were both so wrong that it's not worth saying one was moreso than the other.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byb3)

Adam
It would have been ironic, if we still had capital punishment, and gave him lethal injection.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
WHen I look at it they weren't your typical murders. They were all of old people, a lot of them had been ill for quite some time. I'm not saying I'm agreeing with his actions, but he never went around "slicing and dicing" his victims, nor to the best of my knowledge did he claim he loved killing people etc. one could argue that he was a bit power mad and he saw what he was doing as being one of those "angels of mercy"

what do others think?
I think that is a ridiculous thing to say. He was my Grandma's doctor in Manchester and for all we know she could have been next on his list. to say my family was horrified when we found out is an understatement. Thank god he's gone. One less evil person in the world.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's a shame he killed himself, it was such an easy way out. It would have been much better that he rotted in prison for the rest of his life in solitary confinement. Oh well, at least it's one less burden on the taxpayer.
Niaya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think that it saw out of order that he had standard privlidges such as a tv and normal clothes for most of his time in prison
edufly
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I just couldn't understand how he was able to 'kill' over 200 of his patients without anyone becomming suspicious.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads