The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
angel D
i think that it saw out of order that he had standard privlidges such as a tv and normal clothes for most of his time in prison

Which is why our justice system is wrong. They're not giving out the correct punishments for crimes, they just give a universal prison sentence, which doesn't tend to work. the government spend too much time trying to make speeding motorists criminals whilst the real criminals wander the streets mugging and raping people.
Reply 21
eddiedaboss
I just couldn't understand how he was able to 'kill' over 200 of his patients without anyone becomming suspicious.

most of them were old people, so their relatives thought they had died in their sleep.
Reply 22
He didnt just kill older people though, I guess that the people that he killed were going to the doctors because they were sick so people thought they were more ill than they actually were. He should still be serving his sentence I feel very angry about it, but prisons arent really equipped to deal with people who are determined to commit suicide.
viviki
He didnt just kill older people though, I guess that the people that he killed were going to the doctors because they were sick so people thought they were more ill than they actually were. He should still be serving his sentence I feel very angry about it, but prisons arent really equipped to deal with people who are determined to commit suicide.

What are u doing here? Go and do some work! :tongue: (why can't i follow my own orders...?)
Reply 24
serendipity
What are u doing here? Go and do some work! :tongue: (why can't i follow my own orders...?)

I'm downloading something in another window I will be gone in a minute I'm only coming on if I have to use the net for something work based.
Reply 25
Hmmm, obviously a very disturbed individual.
Reply 26
I saw this when I was in Manchester this morning... it was on the breakfast news on a big screen. I actually live where this happened, so I guess this will be big news here.

I guess it is kinda taking the easy way out, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.
I take it Wakefield prision are going to get bollocked. He should've been on suicide watch even if he showed no signs of wanting to commit suicide... he is obviously a very clever man, it's unlikely he would show signs.
Reply 28
G4ry
Which is why our justice system is wrong. They're not giving out the correct punishments for crimes, they just give a universal prison sentence, which doesn't tend to work. the government spend too much time trying to make speeding motorists criminals whilst the real criminals wander the streets mugging and raping people.

And every dirver speeds once or twice - does that mean they are criminels? Would anyone prefer to see them punished rather than real criminals?
Reply 29
happysunshine
I take it Wakefield prision are going to get bollocked. He should've been on suicide watch even if he showed no signs of wanting to commit suicide... he is obviously a very clever man, it's unlikely he would show signs.

But how could the one prison guard watch him along with the 200 other prisoners? How can you put people on suicide watch if they don't show any signs - would you put everyone on suicide watch?
Lord Huntroyde
And every dirver speeds once or twice - does that mean they are criminels? Would anyone prefer to see them punished rather than real criminals?

A criminal is someone who breaks the law and so speeding is against the law, so it does make them a criminal.

But some people are more 'criminal' than others, but that is for the courts to decide.
Lord Huntroyde
But how could the one prison guard watch him along with the 200 other prisoners? How can you put people on suicide watch if they don't show any signs - would you put everyone on suicide watch?

I couldn't care less if a robber commited suicide, but a well known mass murderer should be on suicide watch. I mean duh of course it is going to cross their minds, they shouldn't get out of their sentence that easily. I am aware of the costs but it would be worth it.
Reply 32
happysunshine
A criminal is someone who breaks the law and so speeding is against the law, so it does make them a criminal.

But some people are more 'criminal' than others, but that is for the courts to decide.

By your reasoning the vast majority of the population are criminals. I would ay a criminal is someone who commits a crime which affects other people, unlike speeding.
Reply 33
happysunshine
I couldn't care less if a robber commited suicide, but a well known mass murderer should be on suicide watch. I mean duh of course it is going to cross their minds, they shouldn't get out of their sentence that easily. I am aware of the costs but it would be worth it.

So why do you not care if a robber commits suicide, but you do care if a murderer does?
He decided that he'd rather kill himself than serve his sentence in a specially equipped cell. What does that say to those who support hanging of murderers instead of a sentence in an ordinary cell (which he should have been in anyway) ?
Lord Huntroyde
By your reasoning the vast majority of the population are criminals. I would ay a criminal is someone who commits a crime which affects other people, unlike speeding.

Speeding is a crime, but as long as nothing bad comes out of it then it doesn't really matter however peoples lives can be put at risk! If you've broke the law you are a criminal and so am I. But obviously Ian Huntley is so much more of a criminal than myself. A criminal is what the word means, simple.
Lord Huntroyde
So why do you not care if a robber commits suicide, but you do care if a murderer does?

Well so they see their sentence out. A robber will probably cause distruction anyway if they are released and the murderer will die before his sentence is over. So if the robber dies, we've gotten rid of two criminals. Yay!
Reply 37
happysunshine
Speeding is a crime, but as long as nothing bad comes out of it then it doesn't really matter however peoples lives can be put at risk! If you've broke the law you are a criminal and so am I. But obviously Ian Huntley is so much more of a criminal than myself. A criminal is what the word means, simple.

But there is a difference between the OED definition and many people's definition of the word.
Lord Huntroyde
But there is a difference between the OED definition and many people's definition of the word.

Well my definition is the OED. I just call practically everybody criminals and the murders and rapists 'major criminals'. Where as you and other people call my 'major criminals', criminals. Not much difference.
Reply 39
Was it suicide then?

Latest

Trending

Trending