The Student Room Group

HELPPPPP, from medics/wannabe medics/anyone?!

Well i've recently got my A Levels results, and managed to turn them around from being on track for BBB to getting AAB! I've got a secure place at sheffield for chemistry, BUT the thing is i have ALWAYS wanted to do medicine but wasnt confident in achieving the grades, but i now have. So my question is (i realise no one can really decide for me, but advice would be extremely helpful) should i apply for medicine or go to sheffield, i may have met the academic requirements, but as for the work experience i have been trying since june to try and get a placement at my local hospital and i think i'm on the verge of getting it ( on receipt of a CRB) but i also would need to sit the UKCAT, find some care home work experience and write a new personal statement. The other thing is that there has been a huge emphasis on people not getting into university this year, and i'm aware of the fact that people would die for the place i have secured.

Any advice/help would be really appreciated, thanks :smile:

oh and i only have until this friday to decide, as i need to pay the deposit on my accommodation by then.
Reply 1
It really depends if you think you can pull all that off in the time you have. I'd say go for your Chemistry degree and then maybe in 3 years apply for a graduate medicine course if you still want to do medicine.
Reply 2
rath04e8
Well i've recently got my A Levels results, and managed to turn them around from being on track for BBB to getting AAB! I've got a secure place at sheffield for chemistry, BUT the thing is i have ALWAYS wanted to do medicine but wasnt confident in achieving the grades, but i now have. So my question is (i realise no one can really decide for me, but advice would be extremely helpful) should i apply for medicine or go to sheffield, i may have met the academic requirements, but as for the work experience i have been trying since june to try and get a placement at my local hospital and i think i'm on the verge of getting it ( on receipt of a CRB) but i also would need to sit the UKCAT, find some care home work experience and write a new personal statement. The other thing is that there has been a huge emphasis on people not getting into university this year, and i'm aware of the fact that people would die for the place i have secured.

Any advice/help would be really appreciated, thanks :smile:

oh and i only have until this friday to decide, as i need to pay the deposit on my accommodation by then.

well it's becoming very tough to get into medicine with AAB - a lot of schools that formally accepted that just recently became AAA - that's not to say you couldn't get in, but having the minimum grades certainly does not put you at an advantage and limits your options - it's a tough choice, you'd have to get impressive work experience and write a cracking personal statement - bear in mind that grad entry medicine is possibly even more competitive - If you have always wanted to do medicine I'd take the risk personally, you will always be able to get in for chemistry again (as you know, it's a very uncompetitive subject) and there is no point studying a subject you're not really interested in for 3 years.
Reply 3
If you think you have sufficient time to prepare for the UKCAT and right a PS that is highly convincing to the medical school, proving to them that this isn't a last minute decision then you should, but I doubt you have sufficient work experience to call on to be able to totally convince them of your dedication. However be aware with AAB your choice of university is rather limited, perhaps do your degree than look into a GEP?
Reply 4
if you really want it, i would apply to medicine. with AAB should be able to easily get a place for chemistry as your 5th choice or in clearing next year

this comes from someone who resigned himself to not applying to medicine after no offers and expecting ABC grades, then getting AAA and deciding to apply. got in to medicine and very very happy
I'd say go for the graduate entry - if you're still into Chemistry, of course! Otherwise, if you get rejected from Medicine, you'd have neither degree, and have to apply again next year. :frown:
Reply 6
I would go for it otherwise you are always going to be wondering what if! Chemistry had a lot of places in clearing this year so if the worst came to the worst you could still go and do chemistry knowing you had a shot at medicine and then after your degree in chemistry try for graduate medicine - although this is so much more competitive!
Reply 7
Sambo2
well it's becoming very tough to get into medicine with AAB - a lot of schools that formally accepted that just recently became AAA - that's not to say you couldn't get in, but having the minimum grades certainly does not put you at an advantage and limits your options - it's a tough choice, you'd have to get impressive work experience and write a cracking personal statement - bear in mind that grad entry medicine is possibly even more competitive - If you have always wanted to do medicine I'd take the risk personally, you will always be able to get in for chemistry again (as you know, it's a very uncompetitive subject) and there is no point studying a subject you're not really interested in for 3 years.

i know, i can only apply to 4 and one of the choices is an access course, in a way i wish i had just gone for it in the first place because i could potentially have got in to a university offering AAB for 2010 but AAA for 2011. But my college told me i had no chance because i didnt get straight A's at AS :frown: this decision is awful to come to, worst still i'm conscious of the time ticking away. Thats for all of the help (:
I'd try for medicine if its what you really want. You can't always put chemistry down as your fifth choice and places like Manchester had lots of chemistry courses in clearing so its unlikely that you'd end up with no offers.

Latest

Trending

Trending