This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by white_solitude)
how did they find that out?
i think it was a survey of about 10,000 American males - they tried to make it as representative as possible. I'm not too sure of the details - we were told about it in psychology.
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
i think it was a survey of about 10,000 American males - they tried to make it as representative as possible. I'm not too sure of the details - we were told about it in psychology.

that is horrifying... but wouldn't it be interesting to do the study elsewhere in the world and compare results and determine whether dress sense and actions do cause more attention?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
that is horrifying... but wouldn't it be interesting to do the study elsewhere in the world and compare results and determine whether dress sense and actions do cause more attention?
yeah - i think the findings would be fairly predictable though
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah - i think the findings would be fairly predictable though
yeah but u never know, with evidence it might knock some sense into people
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah but u never know, with evidence it might knock some sense into people
maybe i expect someone will do further research one day - it may have already been done. trouble is people who need the sense knocked into them are unlikely to hear the evidence
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
maybe i expect someone will do further research one day - it may have already been done. trouble is people who need the sense knocked into them are unlikely to hear the evidence

thats true, maybe it'll get a point across to all those designers who are producing these completely pointless revealing clothes, really u might as well just go out naked, theres no difference!
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thats true, maybe it'll get a point across to all those designers who are producing these completely pointless revealing clothes, really u might as well just go out naked, theres no difference!
yeah i hadn't thought of that - but then they just wanna make money don't they?
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah i hadn't thought of that - but then they just wanna make money don't they?
i guess in a financial respect u can't really blame them, but if u look at the younger generation now...there are children as small as 6 or 7 wearing these completely ridiculous things to little parties and discos. i think most of the influence comes from celebrities and as the westernised world seem to have quite an obsession with celebrities fashion industries encourage this by making replicates of stage and video clothes...what these people have to understand is that celebrities are celebrities and to dress like them can really get u unwanted attention
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
psychological research has revealed that 1/3 of men in the U.S would rape if they knew there was no chance of getting caught.

how scary is that?
Very. If it were true. What research is this?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Very. If it were true. What research is this?
in my psychology notes somewhere - you want me to try and find it?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
in my psychology notes somewhere - you want me to try and find it?
found it - Check (1981) - 1/3 US males said they would rape someone if there was no way of finding out who they were
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
found it - Check (1981) - 1/3 US males said they would rape someone if there was no way of finding out who they were
Quite disturbing.....
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not sure if it came down to it, they could make themselves do it.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I'm not sure if it came down to it, they could make themselves do it.
very good point. in reality, even if they couldnt get caught, they wouldnt be so evil as to do it. hope not anyway..........
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
isn't it horrifying that they are even thinking that way?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
very good point. in reality, even if they couldnt get caught, they wouldnt be so evil as to do it. hope not anyway..........
but then why would they admit that they would do it in a study - it doesn't make sense.
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
but then why would they admit that they would do it in a study - it doesn't make sense.

i dunno...maybe the whole manly act? although it they thought rape was manly then i'd seriously be scared...
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They might think the idea seemed good (in a twisted way (not something I've ever experienced!)), but If it came down to it; they wouldn't be able to bring themselves to do it.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
I think if you used the same question on murder you'd have more takers. If I knew I wouldn't get caught there are 3 or 4 people from my past I would be very tempted to take out in revenge.
J
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I think if you used the same question on murder you'd have more takers. If I knew I wouldn't get caught there are 3 or 4 people from my past I would be very tempted to take out in revenge.
J

really? and u'd go as far as murder?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
31.82%
No (13)
59.09%
Don't know (2)
9.09%

Watched Threads