Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I was doing a bit of research on what might be a cold war between the west and Islam, and I found this article:

I am aware that it was written two decades ago; and that is what makes it so interesting, it predicted what is going on now.

http://www.twf.org/News/Y1997/ColdWar.html

The Bush-Gorbachev summit in Washington featured talk of a "long era of confrontation giving way to an era of enduring cooperation." But in the Muslim world fingers are being kept crossed. There are fears that the end of the cold war between the superpowers will encourage the emergence of a new cold war with the Muslim world.

Increasingly, Islam is presented as a force inherently hostile to the West.

A case in point is the 1990 Thomas Jefferson lecture delivered at the Smithsonian in May by Bernard Lewis, professor emeritus of Princeton University. The lecturer attempted to probe the reasons behind Muslim anger at the West.

What baffles a Muslim observer is the lecture's conclusion: that Muslim anger is not tied to recent political events, but is the culmination of a 1,400-year struggle with the West and a reaction against modernity, things the West can't change.

His 26-page address was remarkable for the absence of the word "Israel." Nor was any mention made of United States support of the Zionist state, which inflames Muslim passions worldwide. Any US diplomat who has served in a Muslim country or take even a cursory glance at Muslim media can verify this feeling.

It is simplistic to suggest that modernity itself is resented. More accurately, the benefits modernity brings and the hope it promises for a better world remain in Muslim societies mostly a privilege for the few rather than an expectation for all. In fact, it is the Muslim elites who have the most to fear (and the most to lose) from resurgent Islamic activism with its appeals to egalitarian reform, austere living, and an all-out assault on corruption.

Westerners, however; are told differently. This is no less than a clash of civilizations, said Lewis, a reaction against the Judeo-Christian heritage, the secular present, and the worldwide expansion of both.

For example, in 1989 the US government awarded the Legion of Merit to the captain and weapons officer of the cruiser USS Vincennes, which shot down an Iranian airliner over the Persian Gulf, killing 290 civilians. More recently, the Presidential Commission on Aviation Security and Terrorism examining the crash of Pan Am 103 (whose perpetrators' identities remain unclear) recommended preemptive or retaliatory strikes against nations supporting terrorism. The implications for certain Muslim states was unmistakable.

If the pattern remains one of condemnation rather than comprehension, then the 21st century may see the Christian West stumbling into a catastrophic show-down with the Muslim East.

Lewis predicts a "hard struggle" ahead about which the "West can do nothing." This means giving up. But the future is not without hope, at least for American Muslims, who number over 6 million, according to the 1990 World Almanac. When Jews and Christians can live with each other after a 2,000-year history of persecution, pogroms, and the holocaust, surely it is not entirely quixotic to envision the Christian West and the Muslim East finding their common humanity in the quest for a better tomorrow.

[Mowahid H. Shah is a member of the District of Columbia bar, former law partner of Sen. Abourezk, a writer on international affairs, and the editor of Eastern Times of Washington, D.C.]

Is the whole "war on terror" part of a cold war with Islam? Has it really reached that stage?
Could this be exacerbated if Iran builds nuclear weapons?
Mikl6969
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is no Cold war with Islam
Most countries in the Middle East are American Puppets , americas conflict with Iran is not over Islam but over Israel

the US has a cold war with everyone..Cuba... Venezuela....North Korea...Burma....1953 secular Iran
deathbeforeimmortality
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Iran has been taunting the West regarding nuclear weapons. From this point of view, I can say there is a cold war between Iran and the US and its allies.

But I dont see the war on terrorism as a cold war because the West is actively trying to combat it (Afghanistan).
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
I was doing a bit of research on what might be a cold war between the west and Islam, and I found this article:

I am aware that it was written two decades ago; and that is what makes it so interesting, it predicted what is going on now.

http://www.twf.org/News/Y1997/ColdWar.html

Is the whole "war on terror" part of a cold war with Islam? Has it really reached that stage?
Could this be exacerbated if Iran builds nuclear weapons?
I wouldn't call it a Cold War, instead I'd call the the Iraq War a prime example of lobbies, governments and industries pressuring the president and his administration to act in return for a fast buck or 'safety'. To think that we went into Iraq because of WMDs is absurd, the sanctions imposed on Iraq crippled Saddam's military and he was no longer a threat. The arms industry in the US, its lobby, the Israeli government and its lobby all created the Iraq War.

No, I don't think we're entering a new Cold War with Islam. Had Israel been in South America, we certainly wouldn't have invaded Iraq and instead would'vemore than likely decimated Venezuela. Very few countries in the Middle East support Iran and very few supported the Taliban, so now, we're not at war with Islam, we're at war with tyrannical dictatorships.

The next Cold War is between the West and China. As far as Iran and nuclear weapons are concerned, the Russians have the situation on lockdown as they control Bushehr and no, I don't forsee Iran every becoming a threat to the West; far from what the Soviets were.
SatanIsAwesome
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
TBF if Islamic countries fought us with an organised army, we'd win quickly and efficiently (Iraq much)

Frankly the terrorists are lucky our morals stop us from carpet bombing their arses.
Stalin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
TBF if Islamic countries fought us with an organised army, we'd win quickly and efficiently (Iraq much)

Frankly the terrorists are lucky our morals stop us from carpet bombing their arses.
Islamic countries ≠ terrorists.
The Cornerstone
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mikl6969)
There is no Cold war with Islam
Most countries in the Middle East are American Puppets , americas conflict with Iran is not over Islam but over Israel

the US has a cold war with everyone..Cuba... Venezuela....North Korea...Burma....
This, the only 'wars' with islam are the ones that's happening here with the tensions with muslim communities and the groups who are more or less against them like the EDL etc...
SatanIsAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stalin)
Islamic countries ≠ terrorists.
This thread is about Islam not terrorists ?!?!?
Stalin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This thread is about Islam not terrorists ?!?!?
"TBF if Islamic countries fought us with an organised army, we'd win quickly and efficiently (Iraq much)"

"Frankly the terrorists are lucky our morals stop us from carpet bombing their arses."

Linking terrorists to the Islamic countries is absurd, so I'll repeat myself if needed, "Islamic countries ≠ terrorists."
SatanIsAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"Frankly the terrorists are lucky our morals stop us from carpet bombing their arses."

I'll repeat myself if needed, "Islamic countries ≠ terrorists."
Terrorists are an unoffical Islamic army, I was just saying we'd pwn any official ones, ie. with uniforms, not hiding in holes getting civilians killed.
I never said Islamic countries = terrorists did I?!?!?
Stalin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Terrorists are an unoffical Islamic army, I was just saying we'd pwn any official ones, ie. with uniforms, not hiding in holes getting civilians killed.
I never said Islamic countries = terrorists did I?!?!?
Careful now, don't brand every terrorist with the fundamental jihadists.

Yes, you're right, the US could take on the entire world in a war; I doubt the Middle East would prove to be problematic.
SatanIsAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Careful now, don't brand every terrorist with the fundamental jihadists.

Yes, you're right, the US could take on the entire world in a war; I doubt the Middle East would prove to be problematic.
I think Europe>USE>Asia>Middles East>Africa
^^
SatanIsAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's with the neg rep?
Stalin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Europe>USE>Asia>Middles East>Africa
^^
North America > Asia > Europe > Middle East > South America > Africa
Stalin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's with the neg rep?
People haven't taken a liking to you, brah.
SatanIsAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
North America > Asia > Europe > Middle East > South America > Africa
Dude, Europe has the best infantry, tanks, special forces, airforces and strategies.... we would win them all (without nukes... they ruin wars)
SatanIsAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People haven't taken a liking to you, brah.
It was mega neg rep too, -130 ish :p:
Stalin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dude, Europe has the best infantry, tanks, special forces, airforces and strategies.... we would win them all (without nukes... they ruin wars)
Put your crack pipe down.

Stalin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was mega neg rep too, -130 ish :p:
Unlucky.
SatanIsAwesome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Put your crack pipe down.

You first brah.

Europe pwns all, end of.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (125)
14.65%
I'm not sure (36)
4.22%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (260)
30.48%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (410)
48.07%

Watched Threads