The Student Room Group

The GTTR application guide and FAQ thread *please read 1st post*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by oxymoronic

Hey I have a question which I'm not sure if you'll be able to help with but I can't find an answer elsewhere, and I thought I may as well as because I may not be able to ring GTTR for a while.

I am applying for Primary, so have to fill in the 'Add science qualification' section on the education section. However, I have a GCSE Double award in science, yet this isn't on the list. I don't want to put 'other' because that seems like it's not GCSE, which it is, however I can't just put 'GCSE' because it's a double... I have a double grade too, not just one. And I don't want to just put it in the 'Add up to 9other GCSEs' section because then it may look like I don't have science if they just glance at the form- I'm presuming the Eng/Math/Science ones will be right there at the top.

Basically I'm a bit unsure as to what to do... I thought maybe add the double or something AS WELL AS the one in the 'science' section, but I don't want to get in trouble for putting more than I have :/.

xxx

EDIT: Sorted it now, just put two grades down in the grade bit and entered it as 'GCSE'- they said it doesn't matter that it doesn't say double award.

xxx
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm a little confused over the finance section. Do we put down '02 UK, Chl, IoM or EU student finance services' for fee payment (as we will then pay them back)?
Reply 162
Original post by angel_night
I'm a little confused over the finance section. Do we put down '02 UK, Chl, IoM or EU student finance services' for fee payment (as we will then pay them back)?

02 is for if you are getting a tuition fees loan from student finance. 01 is if you are paying the uni the money directly (from your own money, your parents etc). The rest are as the name says :smile:

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
02 is for if you are getting a tuition fees loan from student finance. 01 is if you are paying the uni the money directly (from your own money, your parents etc). The rest are as the name says :smile:

xxx

Thank you! I've now sent my application to my referee. Once he's done his bit it'll be off to the Uni! So nervous!
Reply 164
Thank you! I've now sent my application to my referee. Once he's done his bit it'll be off to the Uni! So nervous!

No problem. I don't suppose the finance bit matters so much anyway as it's going to change for a lot of people anyway, when the government decides whatit's doing money wise!

I'm envious, it was all going so well for me with all the preparation and then BANG I started back at uni and have just had too much work to fit in my personal statement around it and it's lagged behind and now I'm really panicking! :frown:

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
No problem. I don't suppose the finance bit matters so much anyway as it's going to change for a lot of people anyway, when the government decides whatit's doing money wise!

I'm envious, it was all going so well for me with all the preparation and then BANG I started back at uni and have just had too much work to fit in my personal statement around it and it's lagged behind and now I'm really panicking! :frown:

xxx

YehI didn't think that it would make a majorrrr difference.

My proper term starts tomorrow but I got emailed work last night, but I decided to put it on hold until I'd sent the application. It's nerve wracking isn't it!

I was talking to a friend yesterday and she said her tutors say that for primary the Unis no longer interview/give offers till after the December deadline? I was udner the impresson your application had to be in by then, but they could start interviewing/giving offers before then?
Reply 166
YehI didn't think that it would make a majorrrr difference.

My proper term starts tomorrow but I got emailed work last night, but I decided to put it on hold until I'd sent the application. It's nerve wracking isn't it!

I was talking to a friend yesterday and she said her tutors say that for primary the Unis no longer interview/give offers till after the December deadline? I was udner the impresson your application had to be in by then, but they could start interviewing/giving offers before then?

As far as I'm aware they do start doing interviews then offers pretty much straight away (not to say they won't leave some places for later applicants). But I guess it's up to each uni so the unis your friend spoke to could have decided to do it that way I guess?

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Hey I have a question which I'm not sure if you'll be able to help with but I can't find an answer elsewhere, and I thought I may as well as because I may not be able to ring GTTR for a while.

I am applying for Primary, so have to fill in the 'Add science qualification' section on the education section. However, I have a GCSE Double award in science, yet this isn't on the list. I don't want to put 'other' because that seems like it's not GCSE, which it is, however I can't just put 'GCSE' because it's a double... I have a double grade too, not just one. And I don't want to just put it in the 'Add up to 9other GCSEs' section because then it may look like I don't have science if they just glance at the form- I'm presuming the Eng/Math/Science ones will be right there at the top.

Basically I'm a bit unsure as to what to do... I thought maybe add the double or something AS WELL AS the one in the 'science' section, but I don't want to get in trouble for putting more than I have :/.

xxx

Although I am applying for secondary, I also wasnt sure how to put my science GCSE in to that section so I just put it as GCSE and in gade typed in BB to show it was double.

xx
Reply 168
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
Although I am applying for secondary, I also wasnt sure how to put my science GCSE in to that section so I just put it as GCSE and in gade typed in BB to show it was double.

xx

Yeah, that's what I have opted for so far! I think that may well be what they tell me to do, I just get panicky about being exact with these things.

xxx
Hi guys,

So for the degree breakdown, do you only put the percentages for the years that "counted" for your degree or for all years worth?
Reply 170
Original post by victoria13
Hi guys,

So for the degree breakdown, do you only put the percentages for the years that "counted" for your degree or for all years worth?

Earlier Oxymoronic said this
Original post by oxymoronic
When you do the degree percentage only count the bits that actually make up your degree classification. So I guess with you it'd be 50% maths and 50% CS, no?

So I'd studied Spanish and geography in my 1st and 2nd year at uni (Scottish degrees are 4 years, only the final 2 count) so listed them as modules but didn't include them in my overall percentages for my actual degree. It depends on your university structure, basically, the Scottish system is overly complicated so I couldn't properly write all of mine out which is why the Scottish PGDE providers send out additional forms to applicants as GTTR is based on the English model.

However, I think the system must have changed since then cause I have no option to put modules as well as parts, it's just one section.

I put down every module from my whole degree, as I figure even if it doesn't count to your grade you still have to pass and you still may spend a lot of time studying a subject (for example just because my IT module doesn't count doesn't mean it's not relevant). I just go by what seems relevant. I also combined some of my modules in to two big 'chunks', pure and applied maths, since it seemed irrelevant listing 'pure, analysis & algebra, analysis, algebra' all separately and it helped a lot with making the percentages balance out. I just left the most relevant modules on their own. This is just how I've done it and I may change it- just in case you end up going for majority rule, you have one persons view now :smile:

xxx
Reply 171
Anyone actually received a their referee reference? Still nothing on my end. So strange, i emailed him two week before saying be on his toes. I'm starting to think that if we are all in the same boat (surely one of our referee would have responded) it may be a GTTR delay thing? Maybe they go out in batches once a week etc?

I honest'y can't see all of our uni lecturers (who i am guessing most of us have put down) being so slow? I think it's a GTTR thing. imho
Original post by masamune1989
Apparently they may not know how many places they have again. My referee still hasnt done my reference yet and i requested it an hour after gttr opened! I was wondering, can you get made an offer without going to interview?

Who did you ask to be your two references?
I dont know who i'm supposed to ask for mine
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on

xx

i put "other and then just typed BB.
There also wasn't a separate statistics option so for "mathematics" i put AB.
I didnt the same with english as it was also a double.
I asked my dissertation supervisor and MA supervisor to be my primary reference (she did it last year) and my secondary reference is the head of humanities at the school i volunteer at for the past 2 years. My primary referee emailed me today to say she will do it first thing tomorrow. C40shea, id email your referee again, you get an email to say theyve done it then you pay and send, you can do it at anytime.
Reply 175
Original post by masamune1989
I asked my dissertation supervisor and MA supervisor to be my primary reference (she did it last year) and my secondary reference is the head of humanities at the school i volunteer at for the past 2 years. My primary referee emailed me today to say she will do it first thing tomorrow. C40shea, id email your referee again, you get an email to say theyve done it then you pay and send, you can do it at anytime.

O have you received your reference? i emailed him over the weekend, i'm not worried i just want to get it over and done with.
Nope still no reference but i know a few people who have got theres and sent the application off. The way i see it is gttr been open a few days, id think anywhere within the next week weeks is perfectly acceptable, just annoying when youve had it sorted since opening day and the Referee cant find time to do it!
Sent mine off last night as my referee luckily provided his the same day I completed it.

Just a tip for those worrying about GCSE Double Award qualifications - you CAN put those in.

When you go into the qualifications list, click 'other' - you'll then go to an enormous alphabetical list with all sorts of foreign qualifications etc. Go into 'G', and hey presto - there is the Double Award GCSE qualification :smile:. Hope that helps some people!
My application has just been sent :smile: Got an email at 10:30 saying my referee had accepted the request then one at 10:38 saying it was done. It puzzles me as to why she couldnt just do it last wednesday when I requested if it was going to take her 8 mins! But oh well, now begins the agonizing wait for 28 days to see if I have an interview!
(edited 12 years ago)
another question.... what address should i put on the form, because I am obviously at uni in term time and home in the holidays, so I don't want to miss out on post in the holidays.... my mum can always forward things that arrive at home so should i put there?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending