This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Has anyone noticed that over the last few weeks this site has had steadily more and more spammers, lamers and basically complete n*bs joining up.
Think there's any connection to this new site..?
I only say it because I used to run a website with a friend. When someone set up a rival site (same case as here, it was identical to ours) they then started spamming our site, message boards and email boxes
J
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not really, there have always been spammers under the "unregistered" title. They now have to become members to do that.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Has anyone noticed that over the last few weeks this site has had steadily more and more spammers, lamers and basically complete n*bs joining up.
what do u class as spammers?

(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
no exam!!!
soz amy jus checkin
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
what do u class as spammers?
The people who post pointless threads and posts just to waste space and bandwidth. Not to be confused with trolls, who post controversial and offensive threads just to try and stir up trouble.

Bono (Maskall) used to be a spammer. Then he turned nice and started sucking up to everyone, lol.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
The people who post pointless threads and posts just to waste space and bandwidth. Not to be confused with trolls, who post controversial and offensive threads just to try and stir up trouble.
but what might be spam to one member, might be interesting to another. i find most debates about life, thigns to do with life and other general chit chat interesting
Jamie
but what might be spam to one member, might be interesting to another. i find most debates about life, thigns to do with life and other general chit chat interesting
people who start several threads on the same day all of them just one liners or non-conversational statements - that is message board spamming too
J
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some things are spam for everyone

http://www.uk-learning.net/t22163.html for example
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Think there's any connection to this new site..?
I only say it because I used to run a website with a friend. When someone set up a rival site (same case as here, it was identical to ours) they then started spamming our site, message boards and email boxes
J
well i hope im not spamming, has it been you who has given me neg rep for EVERYTHING i say?
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Some things are spam for everyone

http://www.uk-learning.net/t22163.html for example
Definitely.

But on here there are more and more threads like 'why doesn't he like me anymore?' etc, which I'd consider spam seeing as the site's called 'UK Learning'...there are plenty of other message boards where people could post those messages for advice. Personally I think most of them are doing it for attention...would you really take any serious advice on your relationship from people you'd never met before...?

There's a lot of look at me! look at me! threads as well...like 'AS Biology is so cool'.

Maybe having a post count for everyone is a bad idea, it seems to encourage people to start pointless threads (like many of Eric Bishoff's...) in order to boost their count.
Jamie
(Original post by curryADD)
well i hope im not spamming, has it been you who has given me neg rep for EVERYTHING i say?
No...And please do NOT be starting up another silly campaign like that Caz idiot. When i live neg rep I put my name to it. Ive only ever done it to 2 people though
J
Jamie
(Original post by .NK)
Definitely.

But on here there are more and more threads like 'why doesn't he like me anymore?' etc, which I'd consider spam seeing as the site's called 'UK Learning'...there are plenty of other message boards where people could post those messages for advice. Personally I think most of them are doing it for attention...would you really take any serious advice on your relationship from people you'd never met before...?

There's a lot of look at me! look at me! threads as well...like 'AS Biology is so cool'.

Maybe having a post count for everyone is a bad idea, it seems to encourage people to start pointless threads (like many of Eric Bishoff's...) in order to boost their count.
Conversational posts piss me off too. Like "Hey Lou/user24/maskall hows it going" and then the thread turns into a big hello that should have been done via PM instead.
(those were just random names!)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (238)
61.82%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.68%
No- I want it (104)
27.01%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.49%

Watched Threads