any think there should be new laws or laws taken off
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by daz4000)
any think there should be new laws or laws taken off
How much law we should or shouldn't have really depends on your political standing and what you personally believe the role of the state should properly be.

As a libertarian my view is that the tentacles of the state already extend far beyond what I am comfortable with, and go too far in encroaching on personal liberty and individual choice.

I think we are overly legislated and at risk of becoming heavily over lawyered. For me, the less government does the better and that means less, not more, law.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Can i point your attention towards a certain law that seems utterly pointless.

I am a future university student as from next year and it seems strange that the government can be so contradictory in terms of skills. They stated in 2002 that they are trying to increase the number of modern apprenticeships. However, the loony left then introduced a number of sections into the new laws to give these modern apprenticeships extra rights. These include such things as having to have a permanent working toilet on the site you are working on, they must be a certain distance from the nearest hospital, cannot be left on their own, and also an insane amount of bureaucracy meaning people employing modern apprentices have to fill in progress checks and things ona regular basis. I have a carpenter and a plumber in the family and both have told me that the laws mean they havent the time to fill in the forms, and what use is it to them employing youngsters if they need to fix a toilet (so cant go because the toilet isnt working) or go to a building site that is in the prepartory stages.

It seems silly that to help cut the skills gap they are making and adding laws and regulations to hinder this.

I know i am not a modern apprentice and have no point to rant on about a subject not involving me, but when 50% of people are targetted for higher education just for the sake of it, yet we have no skilled labourers in the country it seems stupid.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Can i point your attention towards a certain law that seems utterly pointless.

I am a future university student as from next year and it seems strange that the government can be so contradictory in terms of skills. They stated in 2002 that they are trying to increase the number of modern apprenticeships. However, the loony left then introduced a number of sections into the new laws to give these modern apprenticeships extra rights. These include such things as having to have a permanent working toilet on the site you are working on, they must be a certain distance from the nearest hospital, cannot be left on their own, and also an insane amount of bureaucracy meaning people employing modern apprentices have to fill in progress checks and things ona regular basis. I have a carpenter and a plumber in the family and both have told me that the laws mean they havent the time to fill in the forms, and what use is it to them employing youngsters if they need to fix a toilet (so cant go because the toilet isnt working) or go to a building site that is in the prepartory stages.

It seems silly that to help cut the skills gap they are making and adding laws and regulations to hinder this.

I know i am not a modern apprentice and have no point to rant on about a subject not involving me, but when 50% of people are targetted for higher education just for the sake of it, yet we have no skilled labourers in the country it seems stupid.
Having enough working and sanitary toilets, warm water, clean drying areas on construction sites are all health and safety matters administered by the HSE and thankfully we are past the Dickensian days when construction workers were grateful if they had a bucket to take a crap in.

Cannot be left on their own? Also good sense. Construction sites are dangerous places and young inexperienced apprentices are prone to having accidents.

Being a certain distance from a hospital? Now, that's one I wasn't aware of.

"Insane amount of bureaucracy meaning people employing modern apprentices have to fill in progress checks and things on a regular basis"

I'd agree with you here. The problem here is overbureaucracy in the form of the CITB (Construction Industry Training Board) which is run by a bunch of pen pushing bean-counters many of whom have never actually ventured onto a construction job site.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Having enough working and sanitary toilets, warm water, clean drying areas on construction sites are all health and safety matters administered by the HSE and thankfully we are past the Dickensian days when construction workers were grateful if they had a bucket to take a crap in.

Cannot be left on their own? Also good sense. Construction sites are dangerous places and young inexperienced apprentices are prone to having accidents.

Being a certain distance from a hospital? Now, that's one I wasn't aware of.

"Insane amount of bureaucracy meaning people employing modern apprentices have to fill in progress checks and things on a regular basis"

I'd agree with you here. The problem here is overbureaucracy in the form of the CITB (Construction Industry Training Board) which is run by a bunch of pen pushing bean-counters many of whom have never actually ventured onto a construction job site.
Well at least we agree on something!
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the right to shot people on the spot who owns a caravan and uses it on national roads
fines of £1000 for anyone over the age of 70 who drives slower than 20 for more than half a mile in a 30 zone
the banning of all bands who are created by television programmes
erm will think of a few more in a sec
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Well at least we agree on something!
Oh, I'm a very agreeable character!
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
powers to extradicite ann robinson and chris tarrent to somewhere along way away so that she cant some back, i would suggest mars.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Following new laws:

Make it compulsory for shop asistants particularly in fashion to answer the number one question, 'Does my bum look big in this?'. So that we dont get any abuse or retalliation from our other halves.

Banning of people particularly scallies from wearing rockport and track suit bottoms, and banning there favourite pastimes such as rolling their socks over their bottoms.

Make it legal to shoot tresspassers.

Give ants, insect rights. lol.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol about the tracksuits
daz4000
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
good one Speciez99
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thanks
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads