The Student Room Group

Barts and the London Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Prof Macdonald is my mentor :awesome:

Also he's not here for the wednesday session so get a lie in :cool:

I have some guy I don't think I'll ever remember the name of if I'm honest :sigh: I reckon Macdonald will be pretty awesome :tongue:
Original post by a moist feeling
I have some guy I don't think I'll ever remember the name of if I'm honest :sigh: I reckon Macdonald will be pretty awesome :tongue:

Who do you have? :ninja:

Pretty awesome, has to be said :awesome:
well dun on ur scores guys..dts amazing...im really worried abt mine and soo confused on which unis to apply to since my QR and VR let me dwn..i gt (490, 400, 670, 730)..is it worth applying to bart?

p.s. im graduate btw..i gt 2:1 biomed ..
Reply 5523
Original post by WorldPeace
well dun on ur scores guys..dts amazing...im really worried abt mine and soo confused on which unis to apply to since my QR and VR let me dwn..i gt (490, 400, 670, 730)..is it worth applying to bart?

p.s. im graduate btw..i gt 2:1 biomed ..

your on the wrong thread...this is last years
Original post by Medicine Man
Year 1 - Basically get attached to a GP placement which you visit fortnightly and learn random things each time you're there depending on what module you are doing. So like pregnancy in Human Development, and COPD in cardio resp etc. You get to meet patients/do home visits and interview them and ask them anything really about the disease and how its affected them etc. and have to write a reflective piece on it at the end of each session. You also have to make a poster and present it to the GP and practice manager etc about anyone of the conditions you particualrly enjoyed studying to present at the end of the year.

Year 2 - Basically attached to a ward (I'm on a psych ward) - though some people are attached to GPs. Again, fortnightly visits to that ward. However, there is less structure to this one - so sorta like a firm in third year - and you literally sit in on ward rounds, get taught about stuff relating to your placement (if your consultant is willing to teach), get to interview patients, do some home visits, generally chat to patients etc and have to end up with a case report/project on a patient you particularly felt fond of at the end of the year. You're allowed to look at patient notes etc too which means you really get to find out a lot about the patient which makes the case report a lot more intresting. Not so much reflective writing this year which is a major plus, but the fact that its not so structured and you've really got to be pro-active if you want to learn anything at all make it a little bit more annoying than first year medsoc. No one is gonna chase you around really.

This runs alongside EPC (Extended Patient Contact) which also runs fortnightly, but out of sync with medsoc. This is much better IMO. Attached to a GP (usually), but less waffley stuff this year (thats not to say first year if all waffley). Its only for a half day but you get quized on the spot by the GP about anything really (which literally means you need to know your stuff). A little frightening, but I quite like it tbh. You also get to carry out consultations with patients, take their histories, take their bp etc. Generally more exciting and more relevant i reckon - generally makes you feel more confident with patients for firms in third year etc. Shame its worth half of what medsoc is because most people prefer EPC to medsoc anyway.

For both medsoc and epc in year 2, reflective writing is not mandatory each week - you just need to have a few samples for your portfolio really.

Hi. do you know if the ICA's contribute to rankings at all?
Original post by Honey:)
Hi. do you know if the ICA's contribute to rankings at all?

Not for your FPAS rankings, but they count towards merits and distinctions for the year. Things may change though - I started at BL in 2009...

Quick Reply