General Studies: Really Pointless Watch

This discussion is closed.
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
ok, so i just had a general studies exam. thats ok, you might think, but heres the bad part:

i havent been to a single lesson because on of my extra-curricular activities clashes with them, and that was ok by my head of 6th form.

none of my uni choices take it, but i've been forced to take the exam anyway, wasting the schools money, and my time

i have my drama devised performance tomorrow (20% of the A-level), and my last lesson (just now) was taken up by the exam, which my 6th form head said i have to go to, making us not ready for drama

AAAARRRGGGHHHH! not only do i hate general studies, i feel an irrational urge to bury my 6th form head alive.

anyone else have anythig similar?!
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
ok, so i just had a general studies exam. thats ok, you might think, but heres the bad part:

i havent been to a single lesson because on of my extra-curricular activities clashes with them, and that was ok by my head of 6th form.

none of my uni choices take it, but i've been forced to take the exam anyway, wasting the schools money, and my time

i have my drama devised performance tomorrow (20% of the A-level), and my last lesson (just now) was taken up by the exam, which my 6th form head said i have to go to, making us not ready for drama

AAAARRRGGGHHHH! not only do i hate general studies, i feel an irrational urge to bury my 6th form head alive.

anyone else have anythig similar?!
shall i tell you what really sucks... during our second year at college, when we were all studying for the A2 exams EVERYONE in our year had to sit GSCE general friggin studies. was the biggest load of poo, it honestly was... it was only so the college could get money for every student who did it
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well that exam was a load of rubbish. but i do think some dabates etc are relevant cus some of them are kinda interesting and well i need the points.

first 3 qs on the exam were totally pointless tho
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by rednirt)
shall i tell you what really sucks... during our second year at college, when we were all studying for the A2 exams EVERYONE in our year had to sit GSCE general friggin studies. was the biggest load of poo, it honestly was... it was only so the college could get money for every student who did it
waste of our precious time, huh?
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
waste of our precious time, huh?
they originally said we wouldn't have to go to lessons for it, but we found we were being too intelligent for what they wanted and couldn't answre really simple questions like - "what is a community" so they made us take lessons in it... oh I'm still fuming lol...

got an A* tho I'm such a swot
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to 2 lessons last year (AS). Got a C. So.. I dont see the harm? I just tried in the exam (didnt have a clue on some stuff). Got bored when writting the SA, so did some maths insted
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by rednirt)
they originally said we wouldn't have to go to lessons for it, but we found we were being too intelligent for what they wanted and couldn't answre really simple questions like - "what is a community" so they made us take lessons in it... oh I'm still fuming lol...

got an A* tho I'm such a swot
thats ok if you can USE the points!
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
only 2 of the unis ive applied to actually accept it.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nope, we couldn't cos we were only told about it after we'd sent off our ucas forms etc. my parents kept telling me it could mean I get a job in the future tho... i can imagine it, sitting down to an interview with the forensic psychologist devision of the Met. :

"Well, you seem perfectly suited to teh job... but oh, whats this. no GCSE general studies?!!! NEXT PLEASE!"
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've explained this before but what the hell (I'm stuck on puzzle donkey again).

Although uni's *say* they don't accept it - it is used internally and externally in the calculation of A level average. This means that wile you're unlikely to get an offer including your general studies grade *if* you happen to miss your offer by a grade or 2 but get a good grade in general studies you will have a substantial advantage over someone who hasn't got a good grade in general studies (if you don't believe me including general studies my A level score (old money) was 24, excluding it was 18).

Plus to be honest if you can't get a passing grade in general studies (which really is just basic common sense) then are you really going to benefit from degree level study.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I've explained this before but what the hell (I'm stuck on puzzle donkey again).

Although uni's *say* they don't accept it - it is used internally and externally in the calculation of A level average. This means that wile you're unlikely to get an offer including your general studies grade *if* you happen to miss your offer by a grade or 2 but get a good grade in general studies you will have a substantial advantage over someone who hasn't got a good grade in general studies (if you don't believe me including general studies my A level score (old money) was 24, excluding it was 18).

Plus to be honest if you can't get a passing grade in general studies (which really is just basic common sense) then are you really going to benefit from degree level study.
hmm, didnt know that, interesting. still less valuable to me than drama tho
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hmm, didnt know that, interesting. still less valuable to me than drama tho
True - but then one lesson shouldn't make a huge difference if you're properly prepared
Emma2004
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just had my AS one now, it was sooo crap. i started talking about Nuremburg Laws regarding Britain. I hope i dont fail!
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
True - but then one lesson shouldn't make a huge difference if you're properly prepared
now y'see - there's the problem
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (220)
68.11%
No (103)
31.89%

Watched Threads