The Student Room Group

Inductive Reasoning Question- Help!

Hi... I can't seem to figure out this question no matter how hard I think... can someone please tell me the answer and how they got it... thanks...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sio06
Hi... I can't seem to figure out this question no matter how hard I think... can someone please tell me the answer and how they got it... thanks...

My first instinct is A, although I'm not sure as my reasoning is a bit wierd.
My choice would be A.

Arrow pattern: Up, down, up, down, up, down, etc.
Colour pattern: White, black, black, white, black, black, etc.
Dot pattern: 4, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4

I could be missing something though, and therefore I could be wrong.
Reply 3
Melancholy
My choice would be A.

Haha you just beat me to it. It's A.
Reply 4
Melancholy
My choice would be A.

Best answer ever, I completely agree.
Reply 5
What is up with all of these awful reasoning questions?? Stupid tests...

222.. (right)
223... (left)

21... [2] (right)
02... [2](left)

I think you're meant to assume there are two patterns occuring, although it makes very poor logical sense considering the the 445. I imagine you're meant to think the second square adds up to 2, the fourth to 3 so the sixth will add up to 4. I.e. A.
sio06

A

Reasoning:

*Only black arrows occur next to another black arrow

*(n+n1) where the sum of black dots in pictures is always one less than (n1+n2)
Reply 7
could be A or E

A if the rule for number of dots on the down arrow is 2,3,4
E if the rule for number of dots on the down arrow is number of dots on previous square -2, number of dots on previous square -1, number of dots on previous square -0
I'd go for B, personally.

Up arrow means add dots, down arrow means remove them - White mean one dot, black means two.
I would have gone for A personally, but can see arguments for both B and E

given that a bunch of intelligent people here all find ways to support different answers, it really makes you question the validity of these inductive reasoning exams.
Dirac Delta Function

Up arrow means add dots, down arrow means remove them - White mean one dot, black means two.

Is it just me or have you written the exact opposite of what you were intending to write?

Even if you did mean the opposite, you would have been wrong anyway. There are black arrows in 2 & 3. Difference of black dots between 2&3 is 2, but difference between 3&4 is 1.
The-Real-One
Is it just me or have you written the exact opposite of what you were intending to write?

Even if you did mean the opposite, you would have been wrong anyway. There are black arrows in 2 & 3. Difference of black dots between 2&3 is 2, but difference between 3&4 is 1.

I think you've misdunderstood what I mean.

if there is a black arrow pointing down, remove 2 dots from the previous number. This is what hapens on the second picture - two of the four dots from the first pic are removed.
Reply 12
Melancholy
My choice would be A.

This.

At first I thought the pattern was: According to whether the arrow points up or down, the black arrow increases or decreases the dots by 2, while a white arrow increases or decreases the dots by 1.

This does fit, but unfortunately none of the options match this. So I'd go with A.
Altruistic1
What is up with all of these awful reasoning questions?? Stupid tests...

222.. (right)
223... (left)

21... [2] (right)
02... [2](left)

I think you're meant to assume there are two patterns occuring, although it makes very poor logical sense considering the the 445. I imagine you're meant to think the second square adds up to 2, the fourth to 3 so the sixth will add up to 4. I.e. A.

The 445 could be part of a pattern which went 44556677 (although, I guess there's no reason why the pattern couldn't be 445445445, but this sort of test relies on intuitions to some extent). If A was put down as the answer, it would be possible to inductively reason what the next one would be based on a pattern of 445... Imo, anyway, it just seems logical. But I get what you're saying. There are other reasonable answers, and my reasoning for the number of dots does seem very sloppy, simplistic and superficial.

I'll revise my reasoning into something a bit more sensible. The reasoning could equally be that a black arrow pointing downwards on the previous pattern means remove a dot on the next pattern. If you spot that then you're still left with A. There are many plausible patterns to spot.

And I agree, it's a very stupid and ambiguous question.
Reply 14
Could be a psychometric angle to it - do you go for the number of dots as an independent variable or goverened by what is going on with the other shapes in the square?

Probably it's just a pass/fail and the best advice for a timed test would just be to not let it slow you down if you can't get an answer you're confident in a reasonable amount of time.
Reply 15
Dirac Delta Function

This.
It strikes me that this is a pretty ****** questions as you don't you really have enough information to be able to assume the white, black black repetition or understand where the 4,4,5 is coming from or going?
Reply 17
Oh no another "inductive reasoning question is stupid" shocker. Yes, it's a stupid question. They all are.

But DDF's answer explains all aspects of the pattern in a simple and intuitive way. So it's probably right.
Call me nuts, but I think it's D.

Ignore the up down pattern and consider every two item... A white arrow does nothing and a black arrow adds a dot.

- 1st, 3rd and 5th: white points up so dots don't change, black points up so a dot is added, giving the 5th item.
- 2nd, 4th and 6th: black points down so a dot is added, white points down so dots don't change and therefore it gives D.

This is the only thing I can justify and gives sufficient pattern (for me) to go on. Obviously the up-down-up-down pattern is a classic and the "real" answer is probably one of those A/C/E answers. Bloody **** question tbf.
Reply 19
Jesus, do you guys not read?

The fact that the arrows point up/down (rather than left/right) gives you a MASSIVE hint and still you manage to ignore it. Incredible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending