whats every1s best film of all time and why? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
For me there are several candidates for the best film of all time. Going as far back as 1982 'Bladerunner' was a new breed of sci-fi which incorporated drama and raw emotion whilst contemplating the reality of the human condition. This was beautifully encapsulated when juxtaposed with replicants striving for that human quality which was so elusive.

'Goodfellas' by Scorsese was a very slick gangster flick which went behind the macho image of the gunrunner (who was always loaded) and showed a human side to the man who was struggling and deeply disturbed which went some way in explaining his violence to others.

'Pulp Fiction' was an all time great (and my favourite) because it was such a smooth black comedy and looked at the lighter side of the life of hitmen with an exceptionally dark twist - brilliantly directed by Tarantino who exploded ideas about luck and tragedy in life in this amazing film.

'As good as it gets' starring Jack Nicholson is a fantastically understated and intellectual comedy which takes the meaning of both cynicism and sardonism to another level as the OCD suffering writer (Nicholson) always seems to hurt people around him when he means to get closer to them - it reveals some home truths about normal people.

Finally 'High Fidelity' (only just second to the aforementioned in my favourites) probes the workings of the human mind especially concerning love - and in this film the protagonist retells his coming of age by relating it to his vinyls saying that he can account for just about every moment of his formative years and adulthood by looking at his music collection - what a concept!

Props to those who mentioned 'The Shawshank Redemption' and also anyone who was heartened by the raw emotion in 'American History X' because these two are also gr8 films.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Most of my favourite films have Tom Hanks in them.
Either he makes them great, or picks good scripts.
Yeah, some of the films he has starred in are pretty decent.

Castaway
Saving Private Ryan

To name but a few, has anybody seen 'Road to Perdition', what did you think of it?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
'Pulp Fiction' was an all time great (and my favourite) because it was such a smooth black comedy and looked at the lighter side of the life of hitmen with an exceptionally dark twist - brilliantly directed by Tarantino who exploded ideas about luck and tragedy in life in this amazing film.
Well summed up.
LilMissSunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Cyrano De Bergerac - it's such a great story
The only good thing about Gladiator is the soundtrack. The rest is rubbish. :mad:
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Yeah, some of the films he has starred in are pretty decent.

Castaway
Saving Private Ryan

To name but a few, has anybody seen 'Road to Perdition', what did you think of it?
Adding to your list:

Forrest Gump (his best)
Philadelphia (immensely moving)
Catch me if you can (a very clever film)
The Green Mile (a slow-burning classic)
Sleepless in Seattle (one of the best romances made)
Apollo 13

Also;

That thing you do
Splash

are good films
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I wasn't too impressed with Gladiator - found it flipped to often and too quickly between action/adventure and weepy/loveydovey...although it wasn't so noticable on the small screen as at the cinema it was still enough to put me off.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Adding to your list:

Forrest Gump (his best)
Apollo 13

Also;

That thing you do
Splash

are good films
Whoops. How could I ever forget those titles.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That thing you do
Is that the one were he plays a med student who does stand up? Really enjoyed that film but haven't seen it on tv for years...
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well summed up.
thanks
edufly
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Adding to your list:

Forrest Gump (his best)
Apollo 13

Also;

That thing you do
Splash

are good films

You have a soft spot for Tom Hanks I would presume?
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
American History X just for the emotion.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thanks
Good call with the Hanks' films by the way Bigcnee
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Is that the one were he plays a med student who does stand up? Really enjoyed that film but haven't seen it on tv for years...
He plays the manager of an up-and-coming band in the 60's, as far as I remember.
LilMissSunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I wasn't too impressed with Gladiator - found it flipped to often and too quickly between action/adventure and weepy/loveydovey...although it wasn't so noticable on the small screen as at the cinema it was still enough to put me off.
Yeah... it tries too hard to be a big hit with the action movie fans and the romantic movie fans at the same time. It was too 'Hollywoody' for me.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
You have a soft spot for Tom Hanks I would presume?
He is the best actor the world has ever seen.
edufly
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
He is the best actor the world has ever seen.
Well I reckon he is up there but not thee best.

But the worst actor has got to be the posh Hugh Grant. He is rubbish and I dont see why he is rated so much. And his films are absolute crap regardless of the bias english media ratings he maybe getting.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
For me Jack Nicholson is the best actor - his style is timeless which means he can be cast in big films. I also have a high regard for De Niro because he has such a range which allows him to transpose between serious and comical films. Raging Bull/Goodfellas etc. vs. Meet the parents
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I agree that some of those Tom Hanks films are good, but Apollo 13 was dull and boring.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by LilMissSunshine)
Yeah... it tries too hard to be a big hit with the action movie fans and the romantic movie fans at the same time. It was too 'Hollywoody' for me.
Give us a break LilMissSunshine!! It's a good movie and I'm gonna buy the DVD just to annoy you!
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
For me there are several candidates for the best film of all time. Going as far back as 1982 'Bladerunner' was a new breed of sci-fi which incorporated drama and raw emotion whilst contemplating the reality of the human condition. This was beautifully encapsulated when juxtaposed with replicants striving for that human quality which was so elusive.

'Goodfellas' by Scorsese was a very slick gangster flick which went behind the macho image of the gunrunner (who was always loaded) and showed a human side to the man who was struggling and deeply disturbed which went some way in explaining his violence to others.

'As good as it gets' starring Jack Nicholson is a fantastically understated and intellectual comedy which takes the meaning of both cynicism and sardonism to another level as the OCD suffering writer (Nicholson) always seems to hurt people around him when he means to get closer to them - it reveals some home truths about normal people.

Finally 'High Fidelity' (only just second to the aforementioned in my favourites) probes the workings of the human mind especially concerning love - and in this film the protagonist retells his coming of age by relating it to his vinyls saying that he can account for just about every moment of his formative years and adulthood by looking at his music collection - what a concept!

Props to those who mentioned 'The Shawshank Redemption' and also anyone who was heartened by the raw emotion in 'American History X' because these two are also gr8 films.
Blade Runner, awesome film.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (553)
80.61%
Leave (133)
19.39%

Watched Threads