The Student Room Group
Reply 1
*waits for steve2005 to post:biggrin:

note the symbols above the form, they can be useful, and will suffice for most stuff. alernatively, the forum supports TeX, and you can writestuff like this (stolen from gaz's post...)
Unparseable latex formula:

e^{x}=\bigsum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{r}}{r!}

and
Unparseable latex formula:

\left( \begin{array}[br]1 & 0 & 0 \\[br]0 & 1 & 0 \\[br]0 & 0 & 1[br]\end{array} \right)

indeed, you may be interested in this whole thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t148635.html
Reply 2
Mr_Joe_T
i've seen some people attach solutions e.g. picture139.pnq, is there a free program i can download with all or a good few of the maths symbols? as i find using this website quite hard.

I use MathType and then take a screenshot. MathType is an upgrade from the FREE program called Equation Editor which is on most PC's. It can be used as a stand alone or in conjunction with WORD.

Open WORD go to INSERT and hopefully you will see a reference to Equation Editor.

I use a Mac PowerBook and it can take screenshots and save them as png files. I know that PC's can take screenshots but I don't think they are as easy to manipulate. You might be able to save Equation Editor files in some way....I'm not sure.

If you want MathType you can try it for free for a month - it then reverts to Equation Editor.

http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/google/mathtype.html?CMP=KNC-AD-UK-MAT-2

steve
Reply 3
If you want to type documents properly then use LaTeX - it's far more than just a collection of math symbols like mathtype.
Then again, if you just want software to use so that you can attach legible solutions as attachments on internet forums it doesn't really matter which you use - but TeX would be more useful to learn if you're likely to want to create professional documents that may or may not contain mathematics.
TeX is also completely free - the link kindly posted above might give you some more information including a further link to a site that details what TeX is and what to download in order to use it to typeset documents.
Reply 4
Yup I am with Gaz, if you want thinks to look professional fairly frequently and wish to type a fair bit of maths then you can't go far wrong with latex, it is fairly easy to pick up.

I use Miktex and a TexnicCenter (which is free) some people use WinEdt but this isn't free to use.
Reply 5
thanks guys :wink:

Latest