Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well i dunno whats going on but i think ive drowned in the pool...not heard anything at all....do you think i should ring/email??????????
    Are there many people in this position and is this just a delayed rejection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    Well i dunno whats going on but i think ive drowned in the pool...not heard anything at all....do you think i should ring/email?????????? Are there many people in this position and is this jsut a delayed rejection?
    I heard that the pool isn't over until the 15th...so you could still hear from them....

My mate applying for engineering was pooled and he still hasn't heard anything yet...whereas some people have had offers...but also letter saying they've been rejected from the pool...

Good luck

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I heard that the pool isn't over until the 15th...so you could still hear from them....

My mate applying for engineering was pooled and he still hasn't heard anything yet...whereas some people have had offers...but also letter saying they've been rejected from the pool...

Good luck

G
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    thanx
    No problem....where did you originally apply and for which course?

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    No problem....where did you originally apply and for which course?

G
    newnham for sps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    newnham for sps
    To be honest, I think that if you haven't received anything by this stage.... you're not likely to have got a place. Sorry, but that's most likely to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I wouldn't say that. I think if you are in the pool, it is unlikely generally that you'll get a place, but last year, I was pooled and it wasn't until the 17th Jan that I heard my original college had decided to accept me anyway. ... I then missed the grades, re-applied whilst re-taking and thankfully got in again this year, but I know that it is very stressful being in the pool.

AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as1)
    Hey,

I wouldn't say that. I think if you are in the pool, it is unlikely generally that you'll get a place, but last year, I was pooled and it wasn't until the 17th Jan that I heard my original college had decided to accept me anyway. ... I then missed the grades, re-applied whilst re-taking and thankfully got in again this year, but I know that it is very stressful being in the pool.

AS
    so you've been set conditional offers then? based on your retake grades?

It is quite rare to get re-accepted...... what college and what course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi yeah...

Subject: Philosophy
    Original college: Gonville & Caius... had to get AAA, got AAB ... retook this january one module (I ended up having AAAAAU), and got a place to read Philosophy at Selwyn (luckily). Having gone through the waiting process twice now, I know it really messes with your mind!

Andrew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    To be honest, I think that if you haven't received anything by this stage.... you're not likely to have got a place. Sorry, but that's most likely to be the case.
    ye i was thinking this neway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as1)
    Hey,

AS
    wow! wel it turns out ur a lucky person to still get a place! stress is an understatement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    Well i dunno whats going on but i think ive drowned in the pool...not heard anything at all....do you think i should ring/email??????????
    Are there many people in this position and is this just a delayed rejection?
    It doesn't look good, but then they may be waiting to interview people so that they can assess whether they're a stronger candidate than you - I'm sure if they were confident the people the could pick out and interview were better than you they'd have already rejected you.

Newnham will usually take quite a few from the pool so it's possible that they are comparing you to the other people in the pool first. Having said that if they are full already then Newnham probably isn't a particularly good college to be pooled at

Still got fingers and toes crossed for you!

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as1)
    Hey,

AS
    Wow did you get a rejection first and then an offer? or an offer directly from the pool?

P.S Nice to meet another philosopher on the board!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    P.S Nice to meet another philosopher on the board!
    There are a few of us around

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    It doesn't look good, but then they may be waiting to interview people so that they can assess whether they're a stronger candidate than you - I'm sure if they were confident the people the could pick out and interview were better than you they'd have already rejected you.

Newnham will usually take quite a few from the pool so it's possible that they are comparing you to the other people in the pool first. Having said that if they are full already then Newnham probably isn't a particularly good college to be pooled at

Alaric.

Yup (as Tina knows) I'm in the same situation; SPS pool, not rejected from my original college (Jesus).

Do you think as neither of us have heard they haven't told SPS peeps yet??!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)

Alaric.
    i was told i had 1 in 6 chance straight after my interview at newnham so dunno.....ur too nice ill give u some rep asap! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy001)
    Yup (as Tina knows) I'm in the same situation; SPS pool, not rejected from my original college (Jesus).

Do you think as neither of us have heard they haven't told SPS peeps yet??!!
    yep me and lucy have this duet where we moan abt not hearing nething yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    i was told i had 1 in 6 chance straight after my interview at newnham so dunno.....ur too nice ill give u some rep asap! xxx
    sorry but i got my acceptance call from newnham yesterday so doesn't look like you're in luck altho guess we have different admissions tutors as you're arts + i'm science, altho they did say they'd let every1 know on mon or tues, otherwise u just get a rejection letter from your original college at end of month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred86)
    sorry but i got my acceptance call from newnham yesterday so doesn't look like you're in luck altho guess we have different admissions tutors as you're arts + i'm science, altho they did say they'd let every1 know on mon or tues, otherwise u just get a rejection letter from your original college at end of month
    Wow--congrats! Newnham is an all-women college, right? And all this time I thought you were a guy (how's that for de-bunking my gendered stereotypes of names! And I study women's studies and sociology!)

I think I am the only loser who has yet to hear back from my initial college. But, by making us wait until the end of Jan. for an initial response, doesn't that mean we were never even given a chance to compete in the pool. That kinda annoys me a little. This waiting is going to be the death of me (probably via over-eating out of anxiety!)

ReputationRep:
    Hey Adhsur, where are you studying Phil?

I was pooled by Caius, but then bizzarely offered a place by them around 16th Jan last year. This year I just got a place at Selwyn, but was rejected for having AAB in the Summer by Caius.

hildabeast - what is the course (Phil) like at Oxford? I know it's very anaylitical at Cam and I just wondered what the differences were.

Canada Girl - no one can say anything to make you feel better when you are waiting and waiting, but I wish you all the luck (same goes to anyone still waiting). Just because you haven't heard doesn't mean you are not been given a fair go - as in my case, my original college was reviewing my application again... Keeping my fingers crossed!

Andrew.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.