This discussion is closed.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by as1)
Hey Adhsur, where are you studying Phil?

I was pooled by Caius, but then bizzarely offered a place by them around 16th Jan last year. This year I just got a place at Selwyn, but was rejected for having AAB in the Summer by Caius.

hildabeast - what is the course (Phil) like at Oxford? I know it's very anaylitical at Cam and I just wondered what the differences were.

Canada Girl - no one can say anything to make you feel better when you are waiting and waiting, but I wish you all the luck (same goes to anyone still waiting). Just because you haven't heard doesn't mean you are not been given a fair go - as in my case, my original college was reviewing my application again... Keeping my fingers crossed!

Andrew.
I'm probably going to go to York. My question was if you had been rejected from the pool before offered a place first time round though? You were so lucky!!
as1
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hey

I think I've confused everything! First time round I got an offer from Caius (my original college) after being placed in the pool (and not getting any offers from the pool, but not actually recieving an outright rejection letter either).

I know I'm very lucky and I appreciate so much, everything that has happened. Having been through it twice, I know it's so very hard. However, in August when I got my results and heard from Caius that they wouldn't be accepting me, it took alot of thinking (apparently something that Philosophers are supposed to do anyway! :-)) and building myself up to apply again. Lots of people really didn't think it was a good idea and I must admit I wasn't sure if I could cope with rejection again but I know now it was worth it. A bizzare world. It is so difficult this Oxbridge thing.

Andrew.
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by as1)
Hey

I think I've confused everything! First time round I got an offer from Caius (my original college) after being placed in the pool (and not getting any offers from the pool, but not actually recieving an outright rejection letter either).

I know I'm very lucky and I appreciate so much, everything that has happened. Having been through it twice, I know it's so very hard. However, in August when I got my results and heard from Caius that they wouldn't be accepting me, it took alot of thinking (apparently something that Philosophers are supposed to do anyway! :-)) and building myself up to apply again. Lots of people really didn't think it was a good idea and I must admit I wasn't sure if I could cope with rejection again but I know now it was worth it. A bizzare world. It is so difficult this Oxbridge thing.

Andrew.
Congrats Looks like you were destined to study at Cam eventually (but needed some time off for a reason)
as1
Report 16 years ago
hehe... :-)
Tina
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
well everyone i emailed the admissions tutor....and then got a letter the next morning....got rejected on the 15th jan...i was sooo upset at first ...cried my eyes out....but i think im over it now....hoping to get an offer from lse....thanx for all the support and advice people
love u loadz!!!
xxxxx
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah I got my letter today

It's really depressing. Still nothing to be done.

I'm going to re-apply anyway.

Bad luck to everyone else - it's a **** feeling.

Adam
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
well everyone i emailed the admissions tutor....and then got a letter the next morning....got rejected on the 15th jan...i was sooo upset at first ...cried my eyes out....but i think im over it now....hoping to get an offer from lse....thanx for all the support and advice people
love u loadz!!!
xxxxx
I am so sorry Tina I have my fingers crossed that LSE make you an offer
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by as1)
hildabeast - what is the course (Phil) like at Oxford? I know it's very anaylitical at Cam and I just wondered what the differences were.
At Oxford there is still an emphasis on the analytic tradition but not so much of a bias towards logic, although you can take numerous logic papers if you want to. Obviously Oxford does not offer philosophy as a single honours undergraduate course, but it is studied as part of a number of specially-constructed joint honour schools in the belief that the simultaneous study of philosophy and other subjects will lead to the broadest and most beneficial undergraduate training in philosophy. These joint schools are PPE, PPP, phil/physics, /phil/maths, phil/modern languages, classics, phil/theology. I don't know all that much about philosophy at Cambridge, but it might be worth noting that it is a much smaller department, as Oxford's is the biggest in Europe.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
love u loadz!!!
xxxxx
:'(
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
love u loadz!!!
xxxxx

Bad luck Tina Well done for getting into the pool though, that was a huge achievement. I really hope you get your offer from LSE xxx

And bad luck Tnacilappa - good luck for next year if you decide to reapply!
chocorange
Report 16 years ago
i too emailed the admissions secretary at one of the colleges where I was re-interviewed. And today I got a rejection letter from the original college.

I'm not too bothered ... having waited over a week since my pool interviews I suspected I would be rejected - I think usually they phone you a few days later if you have an offer.

Still waiting for my UCAS to be updated so I can make Imperial my firm choice. The bright side is that I love London and Imperial, and that there's not much pressure to get good grades at A Level (the offer is a single A) - also, I didn't really like the colleges where i was reinterviewed :P
Goat
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by chocorange)
i too emailed the admissions secretary at one of the colleges where I was re-interviewed. And today I got a rejection letter from the original college.

I'm not too bothered ... having waited over a week since my pool interviews I suspected I would be rejected - I think usually they phone you a few days later if you have an offer.

Still waiting for my UCAS to be updated so I can make Imperial my firm choice. The bright side is that I love London and Imperial, and that there's not much pressure to get good grades at A Level (the offer is a single A) - also, I didn't really like the colleges where i was reinterviewed :P
I still havent heard from Robinson! I assume ive been rejected but it would be nice for them to let me know!
Goat
Report 16 years ago

How did you manage to get a single A offer at Imperial?! When I was there they said the made everyone the same offer (AAA.)

I guess you really impressed them!
chocorange
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
I still havent heard from Robinson! I assume ive been rejected but it would be nice for them to let me know!

I would suggest emailing them. I think in my case there was a communication error and one of the two colleges forgot to inform my original college that they weren't accepting me. The day after I emailed them i got the letter by first class post
chocorange
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
How did you manage to get a single A offer at Imperial?! When I was there they said the made everyone the same offer (AAA.)

I guess you really impressed them!

I took two alevels a year early, Physics and Maths, and got 2 As. So technically I suppose it still is a AAA (although even on the UCAS tracker it says one A) but, regardless, there is far less pressure. This year I am taking two languages and further maths - cambridge would no doubt have wanted an A in specifically further maths, and could well have wanted As in the languages too!

Now .... need to find out a way of making sure I'm in Beit Hall at Imperial!!
Goat
Report 16 years ago
I would suggest emailing them. I think in my case there was a communication error and one of the two colleges forgot to inform my original college that they weren't accepting me. The day after I emailed them i got the letter by first class post
Yeah I'll email them if it hasnt arrived tomorrow. Maybe Robinson forgot completely about everyone they rejected.
Goat
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
Yeah I'll email them if it hasnt arrived tomorrow. Maybe Robinson forgot completely about everyone they rejected.
I emailed Robinson and they said they wont be making me an offer.

How long do you reckon it will take to go onto the UCAS tracker?
chocorange
Report 16 years ago
unlucky mate. Having got the letter on tuesday, I checked yesterday and the tracker was updated. I think it all depends on the efficiency of your original college - but I would be surprised if it took longer than a week.

So, you have any idea what you're gonna do now? Imperial ? Reapply?

The one issue I have with Imperial is that, whilst its third in most league tables, is in central london, has a great course, and has good reputation, it's position in the CompSci league tables isn't terribly good (something like 8th).
Goat
Report 16 years ago
unlucky mate. Having got the letter on tuesday, I checked yesterday and the tracker was updated. I think it all depends on the efficiency of your original college - but I would be surprised if it took longer than a week.

So, you have any idea what you're gonna do now? Imperial ? Reapply?

The one issue I have with Imperial is that, whilst its third in most league tables, is in central london, has a great course, and has good reputation, it's position in the CompSci league tables isn't terribly good (something like 8th).
No not gonna reapply. I think two trips up to Cambridge is enough!

Warwick is my first choice now. I do have an offer from Imperial but I am put off by the cost of living in London (although it would be fun), the fact that the uni is 70% male and the CS course practically all male, and as you say, it isnt that high in the CS league tables. (Although I dont know how current they are.) The course did look good there though.
chocorange
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
No not gonna reapply. I think two trips up to Cambridge is enough!

Warwick is my first choice now. I do have an offer from Imperial but I am put off by the cost of living in London (although it would be fun), the fact that the uni is 70% male and the CS course practically all male, and as you say, it isnt that high in the CS league tables. (Although I dont know how current they are.) The course did look good there though.

that was my other worry about imperial ... the boy/girl ratio and all the science types. but i figured I'll be living in central london, why the hell be restricted to the girls in the lectures also, some of the halls are intercollegiate so u'll have UCL and LSE students living with you (and at least one of these halls is nice)

well, good luck at Warwick - i'm sure you'll love it. When I was making my six choices, I chose Cam & Imp and i pretty much picked the rest from the first league table i found.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (239)
61.92%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.66%
No- I want it (104)
26.94%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.48%

Watched Threads