This discussion is closed.
craven20
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i recently bought a new car with ABS and i wondered if anyone knew whether you should put both brake and clutch down simultaneously for an emergency stop or one after the other. it doesnt say in the handbook and ive got a test in a week!
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by craven20)
i recently bought a new car with ABS and i wondered if anyone knew whether you should put both brake and clutch down simultaneously for an emergency stop or one after the other. it doesnt say in the handbook and ive got a test in a week!
i think both
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Same as a normal car i guess, the abs just lets the wheel continue gripping while still slowing down
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was taught the brake just before, slam the clutch down then just after and aslong as you are quick it doesnt stall and you have better control.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's unlikely you'll get the ABS to kick in just from doing a normal driving test emergancy stop anyway. I've only had it kick in twice (in 2 yrs of driving 70 miles a day in an ABS car) and both times was in the wet driving downhill towards a roundabout and going from 60 to 0 very very quickly...and it doesn't kick in everytime on that roundabout whatever the weather, those 2 days just happened to be even slippier than usual.
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
with normal cars, don't you press down the clutch first and then the break? and then you go like "up and down" with the break to prevent it from locking so you can't steer, with abs you can steer no matter how much break you have
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Brake and then clutch down to keep the engine running. You also know not to take your foot off the brake pedal when it starts juddering, a lot of people that have ABS don't know how it works and they take their foot of the brake pedal.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads