The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography or radiotherapy applicants 2011

Anyone else applying for radiography for 2011? if so what University etc?

I am Jane and starting an access to science in a couple of weeks.

Already have ALevels ABBB and did 2 years of university in manchester (2.1 average) an arts subject which I hated and was just not right for me (i think i knew all this at the time and before i even finished my ALevels and completely regret not taking Biology ALevel but oh well isn't hindsight great).

So now I need to get me some science ! Am from Liverpool originally but been in Manchester since i came here for uni so although i like Manchester and therefore would put Salford Uni as first choice i still kinda want to look elsewhere such as Liverpool as well as im not really settled.

so if there is anyone else out there applying for radiography come say hello and introduce yaself :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi janesies,

I have been going back and forth between whether I'd like to do physiotherapy or radiography but I think I have settled on radiography. I will be applying to Cumbria and hopefully will start to write my PS next week.

I've also done A Levels and been to uni before so hopefully I will be able to get a place on the course as a mature student. I am really excited about the whole thing and can't wait to get my application in to UCAS. The more I read about radiography the more I wish I had done it sooner.

I was considering doing an Access course or OU module but decided against it. Got my forms sent off to the local hospital for some work experience so hopefully I'll get a date in the next week or so.
Reply 2
Hi guys, im Sijjad and im from Biiiiiiirmingham!

Hoping to apply to BCU to study radiography or therapeautic radiography.. Not sure which yet!

I just completed my Access to Health Science course and passed all modules and before that I completed my degree in Public Policy, Government and Management. Decided to take a break for a before getting onto my next degree.. (feels like I have been studying my whole life!)

Would be nice to meet others going to the same uni.

Take care for now!
Reply 3
Hi I'm Lilian and I'm from Suffolk.

Hoping to apply to University Campus Suffolk after my Access course at the college of the same university this year.
I'm leaning towards Radiotherapy but I'm going to apply for Diagnostic as one of my insurance choices I think. Anyone else doing/done that and thoughts/advice/experience? Much appreciated.
I haven't got any clinical experience yet :frown: The hospital I contacted haven't got back to me and I'm really panicking! Anyone got any tips for me? Just keep bugging them and maybe just turn up there and ask as well? Has anyone else got not got any clinical experience yet? Argggh!
sauce
Hi I'm Lilian and I'm from Suffolk.

Hoping to apply to University Campus Suffolk after my Access course at the college of the same university this year.
I'm leaning towards Radiotherapy but I'm going to apply for Diagnostic as one of my insurance choices I think. Anyone else doing/done that and thoughts/advice/experience? Much appreciated.
I haven't got any clinical experience yet :frown: The hospital I contacted haven't got back to me and I'm really panicking! Anyone got any tips for me? Just keep bugging them and maybe just turn up there and ask as well? Has anyone else got not got any clinical experience yet? Argggh!

I wondered about applying for both radiography and radiotherapy myself but wasn't sure whether it may mess up my chance with both. I would happily do either course but as I'm a mature student I don't really want to leave the area unless I have to. My local uni does radiography so I am going to follow suit with my other choices although I am tempted to put radiotherapy down. Anyone else applied for both before? How did you write your PS and how was it received?
Stinger122
Hi guys, im Sijjad and im from Biiiiiiirmingham!

Hoping to apply to BCU to study radiography or therapeautic radiography.. Not sure which yet!

I just completed my Access to Health Science course and passed all modules and before that I completed my degree in Public Policy, Government and Management. Decided to take a break for a before getting onto my next degree.. (feels like I have been studying my whole life!)

Would be nice to meet others going to the same uni.

Take care for now!

The unis I'm applying for are Cumbria, Salford, BCU and Derby. The last 3 choices are just in case really. At a push I have friends or family I could stay with if I went to those unis and go home at weekends.

Have you started your PS yet? I take it you're a mature student? I am way over the limit and not even started writing about my clinical visit or my interests. It's all about relevant experience and why I wanna do radiography. Must be 3 x the size it should be already. There's gonna be a hell of a lot of editing!
Reply 6
I havent got experience yet struggling to get hold of the clinical tutors at the hospitals near me so dont worry about that guys ! we just need to get on the case ASAP :P x
Reply 7
janesies
I havent got experience yet struggling to get hold of the clinical tutors at the hospitals near me so dont worry about that guys ! we just need to get on the case ASAP :P x

I emailed at the end but will phone if I don't get a reply by next week as time is running out for us one yearers that are applying to uni in the next few weeks....eek :frown:
sauce
I emailed at the end but will phone if I don't get a reply by next week as time is running out for us one yearers that are applying to uni in the next few weeks....eek :frown:

good luck sauce...might be a bit tricky getting the experience at such short notice but will keep fingers crossed for you. have you been offered a place for this year then?
Reply 9
dreaminchicken
good luck sauce...might be a bit tricky getting the experience at such short notice but will keep fingers crossed for you. have you been offered a place for this year then?

:frown: What do you mean? I'm in a 1 year college access course and then moving onto uni in 2011 hopefully(the college I'm at is part of the Higher Education Institute I want to attend).
I'm really really losing sleep over not getting experience.
sauce
:frown: What do you mean? I'm in a 1 year college access course and then moving onto uni in 2011 hopefully(the college I'm at is part of the Higher Education Institute I want to attend).
I'm really really losing sleep over not getting experience.

oh i see i mis-understood. thought u were trying to get experience to satart in 2010 not 2011. In that case I am sure you'll b e fine. Got ages to sort out experience :smile:
Reply 11
dreaminchicken
oh i see i mis-understood. thought u were trying to get experience to satart in 2010 not 2011. In that case I am sure you'll b e fine. Got ages to sort out experience :smile:

Oh right lol thanks :biggrin: :smile: I would be more than worried if I was starting this year...
Reply 12
My advice to anyone confused between radiography and radiotherapy is to get yourself some experience in the departments to see what you like most. Three years is a long time to be doing something when you're thinking you've made the wrong decision. The two jobs are completely different with the exception that they both use ionising radiation, they aren't really subjects that go hand in hand. If you train in one, you can't practice in another once you graduate. Put the effort in now so you know what you want to go for, and don't sit on the fence because chances are you'll always be wondering 'what if'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
FXX
My advice to anyone confused between radiography and radiotherapy is to get yourself some experience in the departments to see what you like most. Three years is a long time to be doing something when you're thinking you've made the wrong decision. The two jobs are completely different with the exception that they both use ionising radiation, they aren't really subjects that go hand in hand. If you train in one, you can't practice in another once you graduate. Put the effort in now so you know what you want to go for, and don't sit on the fence because chances are you'll always be wondering 'what if'.

good idea. :smile: :yep: I sent my radiography department near me an e-mail last week but I'm thinking if I don't get a reply by Wednesday I'll ring them up.
Reply 14
Ohhh I got an email saying they are now making enquiries for me. This is how I was thinking of responding. Any thoughts.

Dear xx xxxxx

Thank you for your response and I appreciate you enquiring for myself.

Kind regards

Thoughts?
Hey everyone,

I'm Helen and I'm 30. I'm applying to Salford, Liverpool, BCU, Cumbria and need 1 more for Diagnostic Radiography. I'm living at home so ideally want to get into my first two choice uni's. I'm currently studying a Health access course via distance learning which is accepted by all the uni's but I've also got to take a Physics GCSE which I'm hoping to get sorted in a few weeks. I've been told I should be able to manage working full-time, taking the access course and GCSE in time for 2011 entry. I haven't got any kids and I guess that helps, I don't think I could do it if I had, really admire those of you that have kids too. :smile:

As for experience, I've got a day lined up next week and another in October, that's about all I can get. It's really difficult to try and get an answer from the hospitals. I got given a list of clinical tutors from Salford Uni but out of the 9 I tried to contact I only got 2 replies. I know these people are really busy but you think they're welcome prospective students.

Helen :smile:
Reply 16
meishkablue
Hey everyone,

I'm Helen and I'm 30. I'm applying to Salford, Liverpool, BCU, Cumbria and need 1 more for Diagnostic Radiography. I'm living at home so ideally want to get into my first two choice uni's. I'm currently studying a Health access course via distance learning which is accepted by all the uni's but I've also got to take a Physics GCSE which I'm hoping to get sorted in a few weeks. I've been told I should be able to manage working full-time, taking the access course and GCSE in time for 2011 entry. I haven't got any kids and I guess that helps, I don't think I could do it if I had, really admire those of you that have kids too. :smile:

As for experience, I've got a day lined up next week and another in October, that's about all I can get. It's really difficult to try and get an answer from the hospitals. I got given a list of clinical tutors from Salford Uni but out of the 9 I tried to contact I only got 2 replies. I know these people are really busy but you think they're welcome prospective students.

West Suffolk University also do Diagnostic Radiography(Ipswich campus) As you said you wanted to stay home but as a last choice it may be a good idea? That or St George's/Kingston.
|Good luck, I'm really struggling to get work experience too :frown: :puppyeyes:
meishkablue
Hey everyone,

Hi Helen, seems like you have similar choices to me. I could only live at home if I got into Cumbria to be honest so the others are a back up just in case things don't go according to plan. Not 100% that the other choices are feasible as a mature student but I can work that out if and when I need to. I have 1 day shadowing lined up for Oct and the possibility of another day in January. Are you just looking at diagnostic or going to see therapeutic as well?
Reply 18
Hi everyone, i want to study radiography at uni and need some help with my personal statement. i'm doing access to nursing at college and need help to say why i choice to study this at college, the reason was i couldnt find access to radiography and acess to science seemed hard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
S_Major
Hi everyone, i want to study radiography at uni and need some help with my personal statement. i'm doing access to nursing at college and need help to say why i choice to study this at college, the reason was i couldnt find access to radiography and acess to science seemed hard.

Highly doubt unis will accept you for Radiography then...

Quick Reply

Latest