driving test q's (help a girl in need!) Watch

This discussion is closed.
sexyamy_85
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
can anyone help me with a couple of questions on the practical driving test? ive got my test in a week u see!

how frequently do you need to do your mirror checks. some1 told me to do them every 10 seconds on the test but this seems a bit excessive to me!

how is the distinction made between a major and a minor? is a major a situation where you must have caused some danger to another road user/pedestrian? (i.e. could you get away with touching the kerb/cutting a corner if there is no one there to be at risk from this?)

are all major faults an automatic fail?

what procedure do u use for the reverse parallel park? if some1 could run thru this for me (when to go onto full lock, straighten etc) id be soooo grateful.

thanx guys (and girls) and sorry my 1st post is so booring!

amy xx
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sexyamy_85)
can anyone help me with a couple of questions on the practical driving test? ive got my test in a week u see!

how frequently do you need to do your mirror checks. some1 told me to do them every 10 seconds on the test but this seems a bit excessive to me!

how is the distinction made between a major and a minor? is a major a situation where you must have caused some danger to another road user/pedestrian? (i.e. could you get away with touching the kerb/cutting a corner if there is no one there to be at risk from this?)

what procedure do u use for the reverse parallel park? if some1 could run thru this for me (when to go onto full lock, straighten etc) id be soooo grateful.

amy xx
i don't know the answers to all of these (I'm still learning myself). All major faults are automatic fail.... and a major fault is anything that could put other people at risk. so e.g. for cutting corners, if it is a clear corner, and there is no-one in sight round the bend, you only get a minor if you cut the corner. If however it is a blind corner (ie u can't see beyond the turning), even if there IS no-one beyond it, you still get a major.
Mirrors..... you should automatically know when to check your mirrors, eg when pulling out, turning corners, overtaking, reversing.
Hope that helps.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh, and a major fault is split into a Serious Fault (potentially dangerous situation or a habitual driving fault which indicates a weakness in your driving) and a Dangerous Fault (where the situation WAS dangerous). A fault of either of these will lead to failure.

Minor faults...... 15 of them and you fail.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
reverse parallel, line up car one foot from side of other car and mirrors are level, then reverse slowly with one turn of left lock till you are moving past the car, then remove the lock go straight till you are about 18 inches from the pavement (its all based on judgement and position so its different for every driver and wont be as easy as it sounds here), then full turn of right lock tilll you are straight but dont forget to remove the right lock before you stop and finsih looking out of the back window.

hope this helps
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
reverse parallel, line up car one foot from side of other car and mirrors are level, then reverse slowly with one turn of left lock till you are moving past the car, then remove the lock go straight till you are about 18 inches from the pavement (its all based on judgement and position so its different for every driver and wont be as easy as it sounds here), then full turn of right lock tilll you are straight but dont forget to remove the right lock before you stop and finsih looking out of the back window.

hope this helps
That's pretty much how i was taught to do it. 'm slightly concerned that you're asking these questions a week before your test. You only get tested on 2 manoeuvres so you may not be tested on reverse parking, but you still have to know it anyway.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can get tested on more than two manoevers they could test you on all if they felt like it.
I got left hand reverse, turn in the road, reverse park and emergency stop on my test.
Mirrors always check if you are going round a corner at traffic lights changing direction etc. If you are just going straight you still need to check your mirror constantly but dont bother so much with the side mirrors.

Reverse park procedure depends on what car you have, different cars have different turning circles. I cant reverse park now in the same way as I did in my lessons because reversing a KA is totally different than a Fiesta.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh and and 4 minors in the same box eg something like hesitation become a major.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
You can get tested on more than two manoevers they could test you on all if they felt like it.
I got left hand reverse, turn in the road, reverse park and emergency stop on my test.
Mirrors always check if you are going round a corner at traffic lights changing direction etc. If you are just going straight you still need to check your mirror constantly but dont bother so much with the side mirrors.

Reverse park procedure depends on what car you have, different cars have different turning circles. I cant reverse park now in the same way as I did in my lessons because reversing a KA is totally different than a Fiesta.
:eek: Everyone i know was only tested on 2 manoeuvres. Perhaps they wanted to admire your 3 point turn as well as you emergency stop and they wanted to see some more after that.

How much shorter is the wheelbase on you KA than your Fiesta? i thought they were pretty similar distances.
Pencil
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi Amy, I would have said 'whenever they need checking', which is near enough, all the time.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

amy xx
according to my driving instructor if an examiner really wants to fail you he/she will find something to fail you on. They can quickly work out how good ur overall driving ability is and if its good u might get off with some stuff. If its really poor they'll find something to call a major fault and fail you.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads