getting stuff stolen at reading fest Watch

oreo1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
basically, what do you do with your bag full of stuff while watching the bands play? like when no one will be around to guard your tent...i'll have clothes, food, sleeping bag, toiletries, etc. (no valuables) but are they likely to be stolen? someone suggested a cheap lock, which may put off people from trying to take your stuff, but then others said it might make them think we have something valuable to keep...so yeah, suggestions please i dont want my bag or my stuff to be taken!

also, i dont have a rucksack really so how big should my bag be/what kind should i take? sorry for all the questions, i'm a newbie
neillya1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
DO NOT PUT A LOCK ON YOUR TENT!
That's asking for trouble, trust me - it'll just get knifed open.

Any money/mobile etc, but a "money belt" and put it all in that, under your tshirt. No ones getting at that

Toiletries and all that won't get stolen, no one bothers about them, and it doesn't really matter if they go missing in all fairness. Just always keep your valuables on you, and at the bottom of your sleeping bag at night (yes, people do go in to tents at night to take things, but very rarely).
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are always people in the campsites, talk to the people camping around you, make friends, and everyone will look out for each other. This doesn't mean you will definitely not get robbed, but greatly decreases the chances.
At the end of the day, if you can't afford to lose something, don't take it.
dippie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ye just leave it no ones going to steal your dirty socks etc. they might steal your sleeping bag max. but beware at night i was once at a festival where someone spreyed some stuff into our tent to keep me and my boyfriend aslep and proceeded to steal all our valuables (which were like hidden underneath us and right in our bags etc. we woke up and were like wtf why is all our stuuf everywhere. i was also naked which made it worse. but this probably wont happen to you
Conorrr9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mate you just leave everything unlocked and in your tent, it's fine in 99.9999% of cases. You just have to leave it at that. Wallet/phone keep on you at all time.
470dwndow54
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by neillya1)
DO NOT PUT A LOCK ON YOUR TENT!
That's asking for trouble, trust me - it'll just get knifed open.

Any money/mobile etc, but a "money belt" and put it all in that, under your tshirt. No ones getting at that

Toiletries and all that won't get stolen, no one bothers about them, and it doesn't really matter if they go missing in all fairness. Just always keep your valuables on you, and at the bottom of your sleeping bag at night (yes, people do go in to tents at night to take things, but very rarely).
really?! we just got a poundland lock would seem a shame to waste the trouble!!

but yeh OP the only things worth stealing you should take are money, phone and perhaps camera, you should keep all this stuff on you.
i'm quite scared about my alcohol getting stolen although it is all in water bottles lol.
ahh so excited!! hope the ******* weather clears up!! SEE YOU AT FEST
olipal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dippie)
ye just leave it no ones going to steal your dirty socks etc. they might steal your sleeping bag max. but beware at night i was once at a festival where someone spreyed some stuff into our tent to keep me and my boyfriend aslep and proceeded to steal all our valuables (which were like hidden underneath us and right in our bags etc. we woke up and were like wtf why is all our stuuf everywhere. i was also naked which made it worse. but this probably wont happen to you
I'm pretty sure that is the worse possible scenario that could ever happen, ever.
asdalol
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Dig a hole and put a underfloor safe in it and your sleeping bag ontop? :erm:

Too much?
asdalol
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dippie)
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :eek:

That is hash...
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by adam_zed)
My friends who went last year said they raided everyone's tents for alcohol when they went to watch kings of leon, saved a bundle from what I heard.
Then your friends are, quite simply, c****.
neillya1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by issih)
really?! we just got a poundland lock would seem a shame to waste the trouble!!

but yeh OP the only things worth stealing you should take are money, phone and perhaps camera, you should keep all this stuff on you.
i'm quite scared about my alcohol getting stolen although it is all in water bottles lol.
ahh so excited!! hope the ******* weather clears up!! SEE YOU AT FEST

Really. Do NOT use a lock on your tent! If you feel you have to, place it on the INSIDE so you have to rech under to get to it, never have it on show.

A lock = something valuable in there = tent slashed open when people look for it!
SayonaraSamm
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dig a hole under your tent, hide anything valuable in there, put tent up over the hole.
evilbethan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by asdalol)
Dig a hole and put a underfloor safe in it and your sleeping bag ontop? :erm:

Too much?
I was just about to suggest this :yes:
oreo1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
ah thanks guys, nothing valuable's gonna be in the tent but not too keen on having my sleeping bag/clothes/ other stuff taken like on the first day!
halfoflessthan50p
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't bring any valuables with you that you aren't going to keep with you at all times. If someone was snooping around your tent they aren't going to steal your clothes and toiletries, they're going to be looking for cash, ipods etc. aren't they? Its hardly worth breaking the law to steal a bag of crisps or an old t-shirt.

I would say, don't use a padlock - it just looks like your trying to protect something valuable inside.

Take whatever bag fits all the stuff you need to bring. It is a bit of a trek to the camp site but you only have to do it once (with a full bag) so don't worry too much.

My friends who went last year said they raided everyone's tents for alcohol when they went to watch kings of leon, saved a bundle from what I heard.
You're friends sound like idiots. And you're liable to get the **** beaten out of you if someone catches you trying to steal their stuff.
adam_zed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobo06)
Then your friends are, quite simply, c****.
they are what, crass? all seriousness dude stfu and live a little. obviously if they were stealing money or valuables then fair enough. The fact that they stole a few beers and vodkas which from what I heard was happening to everyone, even them, means that it was just drunken antics.

(Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
You're friends sound like idiots. And you're liable to get the **** beaten out of you if someone catches you trying to steal their stuff.
wow this seems to have caused a very minor stir. i am pretty sure worse things happen at these festivals then people loosing a few cans of stella. Im also pretty sure that they can handle themselves.
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
they are what, crass? all seriousness dude stfu and live a little. obviously if they were stealing money or valuables then fair enough. The fact that they stole a few beers and vodkas which from what I heard was happening to everyone, even them, means that it was just drunken antics.
Theft isn't living a little. People pay a lot of money to have a good weekend, and then other costs on top of that for food and drink. Some people have to save up for months to be able to afford to go to a festival, and their whole weekend can be ruined by ***** like your friends. Just because it happened to a lot of people doesn't make it right.
FlickeringEmber
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At Glastonbury they have places on site where you can safely depoit valuables for free...had no problems when I used that facility...but obviously as others have said, keep money, phone and camera on you at all times.
adam_zed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobo06)
Theft isn't living a little. People pay a lot of money to have a good weekend, and then other costs on top of that for food and drink. Some people have to save up for months to be able to afford to go to a festival, and their whole weekend can be ruined by ***** like your friends. Just because it happened to a lot of people doesn't make it right.
oh gord.

I would be annoyed if it was me, yes. I think its a bit far though to say that someone can have their whole weekend ruined by having their bottle of Smirnoff Vodka stolen. Please stop using obscenities to describe my friends, or does it do your ego some good to be the moral police. we all do ******* things, even you, but on the ******* scale I think that the theft of a small amount of alcohol comes in towards the bottom.
thecdon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
went last year and nothing got stolen although there are some dodgy characters around , there are always idiots around jsut hope they dont come near your stuff!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully nothing will get nicked from my site this yr
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.62%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (229)
58.27%
No (138)
35.11%

Watched Threads