MathuranK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am currently progressing into Y12, having just received my GCSE results. Next year, i will be taking English, History, Economics/Business, and Maths.
I am very interested in taking the Philosophy, Politics and Economics Course, my preferred destination being Oxford. However, after receiving my results i am not sure this will be possible.
I achieved 5a*and 7a grades, a dissapointment to myself. Therefore i am wondering has all hope gone on being able to take this course for university, and if not what will i have to do to obtain this.
Thank you for your help.
Sariya
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Jesus Christ. Throw yourself off a bridge, already.

No top 10 University accepts riff-raff with under twenty A*s.
lovely_me
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ffs I was thinking about doing PPE and I have 1A* 8As 1B.

My backup will be Hull

Also if you value better universities take Economics over Business.
Krakatoa
Badges: 17
Report 10 years ago
It is always hard how to deal with someone who hasn't done well in their exams and try and tell them it is going to be okay.
I wish there was more I could say. Good luck in whatever you do, I wish I could say it wioll be easy with those grades.
Sariya
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Since the dear fellow's decided to take it to PMs...?

(Original post by MathuranK)
Im sorry was your message sarcastic? Because i actually do not have the time for snide comments. I am not meaning to sound angry or confronting but i am in a really stressed situation. I noticed your information about york, and would be grateful if you could provide me with some real advice.
I got offers from Oxford, York and Manchester with 3 A*s and 6 As at GCSE. Chillax.

Lose the offensive sense of entitlement, and you might even make a good troll.
TheProdigy2k9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh my God, don't be silly.
With those GCSE's, you have absolutely no chance.
roginho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Grades are fine and Oxford have a ridiculously large intake for ppe (which isn't exactly the most competitive course around). You're fine to apply.

Good luck.
MathuranK
Rep:
?
AirRaven, im sorry for snapping out at you.
TheProdigy2k9 , again was that sarcastic or true?

Krakatoa, do you have any other advice for me, such as other courses i may consider or different universities?
MathuranK
Rep:
?
Thank You Roginho
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you definately have a chance because you have at least 5A*'s and the rest being A's. getting 5A* is often considered by admissions tutors in oxbridge as the de facto minimum grade to apply, so if you get 4A's at AS level you have a good chance of making it; if you also do well in the admissions test and interview. so dont worry you have a fighting chance.
TruckBear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't worry about your GCSEs. They are fine.

You'll benefit, in terms of a PPE app, from doing Economics rather than Business. Make sure you work hard at A-Levels, read around the PPE subjects and you'll have a shot.
#Funky
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say you need atleast 20A* grades to get in to Wolverhampton.
palestinian.chick
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey im in the same situation as you... but probably slightly worse... i got 3*s 4As and 3Bs. i then worked realy hard at A Levels and i am now predicted 3A*s and an A. just work REALLY hard in you're Alevels and you'll be fine
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow look at you guys complaining over not getting 8A*'s… I came on this thread being optimistic about my AABCCCCCCC… ugh why do mistakes haunt you forever
carldaniel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am disgusted at some of the very cruel and insensitive comments made about another persons efforts, shame on you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (36)
36.73%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
9.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
4.08%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (27)
27.55%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (14)
14.29%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (8)
8.16%

Watched Threads