What do you think of KCL? Watch

This discussion is closed.
kat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Im seriously considering going to kings college london to do music, got an offer of AAB.
Although the course looks amazing, what reputation does the uni have, because i have never known any1 to go there or wants to.
So in that case what kind of people go there, because i practically know sum1 at most unis or at least wanting to go there.
if any1 has any info on kings it would be great! as i dont really knows what the veiws of it are or any inside info!
also does ne1 know any thing bout the choral scholarships?
FunkyTeenAngel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well i dont know anyone whose doin music at kings, but i know a couple of ppl doin dentistry, biomedical and pharmacy and they all love it! i guess it depends on where else you've had offers from. personally kings is my top choice. have you visited the uni?
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kat)
Im seriously considering going to kings college london to do music, got an offer of AAB.
Although the course looks amazing, what reputation does the uni have, because i have never known any1 to go there or wants to.
So in that case what kind of people go there, because i practically know sum1 at most unis or at least wanting to go there.
if any1 has any info on kings it would be great! as i dont really knows what the veiws of it are or any inside info!
Beware location - on the Strand right in central London. Incredibly busy all the time but I guess if you like and are used to huge cities it shouldn't be a problem. Also have to consider additional costs of living in central London and travelling time from accomodation.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kat)
my friend is doing medicine there and loves it, it think its more known for science-related subjects but is very good for philosophy and law as well, its definetly a good top 20 uni
the g
Report 16 years ago
I too have an offer from Kings, ABB for Management, not sure if I want to go to London though.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kat)
A mate of mine in school ended up going there for music - he was and probably still is an exceptional music student getting the highest grades in the country at most levels - he was absolutely elated at the prospect of studying music at king's - it has got a pretty good reputation for music i think - and it is on the Strand which means it is not far away from the theatres in the West End
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When i first read this i thought you ment potassium chloride
Marchie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I currently go to King's (though not for much longer...) and I have two very good friends who are studying music there. They really enjoy the course, however it is not an easy ride and both of them spend a lot of time studying and performing, despite the fact that they are both extremely talented. Having said this however, there are great opportunities to work with people at the top of their trade at the Royal Academy of Music, and the department itself is considered to be one of the best, if not the best in the country. I would say that the social life in the department is very active, however my experience of it has been that music dominates the conversation.

I myself study another subject and have absolutely no talent or knowledge in the field of classical music; personally I have really struggled to settle in down in London and make new friends. Coming from Manchester I thought I'd be able to cope well with living in a big city, but London is a whole new ball game. If you do decide to go to King's then I strongly recommend that you live in halls rather than self-catered apartments (anywhere but Great Dover Street). London can feel like the loneliest place on earth so I'd suggest that you get involved in extra-curricular activities right away; as a member of the music department you will have good opportunities to do this through playing in concerts, etc.

The music department is located in the Strand Campus, which is nowhere near the campuses used by the medics and dentists; they are based south of the river and so you will probably only come across them if you live in Stamford Street, Wolfson House or (heaven forfend) Great Dover Street. I would echo the warnings of hildabeast regarding the location and time it takes to travel into university; it was a 40-minute walk from Great Dover Street last year for me to get to the Strand. This year I am living out in Hendon; it is about half an hour on the train and then a ten minute walk to the Strand; this has been a big cause of complaint, particularly coming back late at night.

The two people I know doing music at King's love it and I'm sure you will too. I'm in another department however and I can't stand the place, so I've reapplied to other universities in the north of England to do a completely different course. If you would like any more information send me a message and I will see what I can do to help.
kay0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Marchie)
I currently go to King's (though not for much longer...) and I have two very good friends who are studying music there. They really enjoy the course, however it is not an easy ride and both of them spend a lot of time studying and performing, despite the fact that they are both extremely talented. Having said this however, there are great opportunities to work with people at the top of their trade at the Royal Academy of Music, and the department itself is considered to be one of the best, if not the best in the country. I would say that the social life in the department is very active, however my experience of it has been that music dominates the conversation.

I myself study another subject and have absolutely no talent or knowledge in the field of classical music; personally I have really struggled to settle in down in London and make new friends. Coming from Manchester I thought I'd be able to cope well with living in a big city, but London is a whole new ball game. If you do decide to go to King's then I strongly recommend that you live in halls rather than self-catered apartments (anywhere but Great Dover Street). London can feel like the loneliest place on earth so I'd suggest that you get involved in extra-curricular activities right away; as a member of the music department you will have good opportunities to do this through playing in concerts, etc.

The music department is located in the Strand Campus, which is nowhere near the campuses used by the medics and dentists; they are based south of the river and so you will probably only come across them if you live in Stamford Street, Wolfson House or (heaven forfend) Great Dover Street. I would echo the warnings of hildabeast regarding the location and time it takes to travel into university; it was a 40-minute walk from Great Dover Street last year for me to get to the Strand. This year I am living out in Hendon; it is about half an hour on the train and then a ten minute walk to the Strand; this has been a big cause of complaint, particularly coming back late at night.

The two people I know doing music at King's love it and I'm sure you will too. I'm in another department however and I can't stand the place, so I've reapplied to other universities in the north of England to do a completely different course. If you would like any more information send me a message and I will see what I can do to help.
i agree wiv above, but marchie y do u hate dover street? i dnt know wot culture u belong to but i have heard quite a lot about dover street. many indians and pakistani's who tend to keep to themselves and form their own social groups. they also tend to know each other from somewhere....???

i too am at kings. 1st year. living in wolfson house ( avoid at all costs - absolutely grotty) studying at the strand. it seems to me that kings spend most of their money on the medics and lawyers. people at strand are treated like dirt (look at the building).

lots of posh people. lots of ucl and imperial rejects.

its ok, sometimes i hate it , other times i love it.

also most people there are from london anyway, so they have all their old friends close by so aint really makin much effort to make new ones.

need any more info, im happy 2 help
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
kings is fine in terms of reputation / course etc.

as an environment though, i'm not sure i'd recommend it...most of the rooms seem to be claustrophobic, windowless and/or below ground level!
mb85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
kings is fine in terms of reputation / course etc.

as an environment though, i'm not sure i'd recommend it...most of the rooms seem to be claustrophobic, windowless and/or below ground level!
Do rooms have seperate toilets?? i m really concerned
kay0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mb85)
do u mean accomodation ?

the appartments (stamford & great dover st are ensuite, therefore hav own toilets)

everywhere else its sharing all the way!
TomB2000
Report 16 years ago
Marchie, do you think the same applies to UCL? I am thinking of going there...
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mb85)
dunno anything about the accomodation i'm afraid - i was just talking about the main buildings on the strand site.
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
King's College Hall is a catered hall, and it's quite far away from the campuses. The rooms aren't the best either. That said, it has a great atmosphere with the bar, common room, pool room etc.

I would *not* have wanted to stay in a self-catering place in hindsight - you wouldn't meet hardly anyone! Which is why i'm actually thinking of applying to stay here next year too... screw trying to find somewhere decent to live in central london, extra bills etc. May as well stay here, get my food cooked for me and sex up all the freshers....
kat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thankyou sooo much every1! that has made me much more informed!
so the course is good, but the only problem is accomodation, as i dont know anything about london or any1 who lives there, the best accomodation for me i suppose would be the ones nearest the strand!
so do u reccomend going in the catering 1s, as its very important 4 me 2 meet people as i dont know ne1! or newhere!
also i looked at the pics of the acomodation, and wolfston builing was struck off my list immediatly , due to the 15 floors, as i am clostraphobic and would never go in a lift in a place like that!
i havnt yet visited, the last time i went 2 lindon was when i was7! but have planned to go down to the open day 4/5 of feb!
i have also got offers from n'ham, b'ham, ryal hol, durham. I would of gone to durham i rekon but the music dept looks crap esp compared to kings!
gem_haha
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=Marchie] I myself study another subject and have absolutely no talent or knowledge in the field of classical music; personally I have really struggled to settle in down in London and make new friends. Coming from Manchester I thought I'd be able to cope well with living in a big city, but London is a whole new ball game. If you do decide to go to King's then I strongly recommend that you live in halls rather than self-catered apartments (anywhere but Great Dover Street). London can feel like the loneliest place on earth so I'd suggest that you get involved in extra-curricular activities right away; as a member of the music department you will have good opportunities to do this through playing in concerts, etc.

Omg, you've scared me now...ive accepted KCL as my firm choice 4 physiotherapy (will be at guys campus), and have just applied 4 accomodation, putting great dover street apartments as my 1st choice! Aaaahhh! What's wrong with them?!
gem_haha
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=gem_haha]

Omg, you've scared me now...ive accepted KCL as my firm choice 4 physiotherapy (will be at guys campus), and have just applied 4 accomodation, putting great dover street apartments as my 1st choice! Aaaahhh! What's wrong with them?!
And i dont come from a big city either! Will i hate it? I live quite near cardiff but have lived in a small town 4 all my life!
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=gem_haha]

I'm pretty sure its what you make of it, like everywhere you go. My sis went into housing when she went to uni, which she was really worried about because several people told her it was the most anti-social type of accommodation and that it was really difficult to make friends. However, she loved it and still managed to make loadsa friends.

Bear in mind thats just one experience though!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads