UK bank account for European student? Watch

frola
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am a Swedish student taking up studies in the UK this autumn, and I wonder how opening bank account works? I found a good bank account guide here at thestudentroom, but it's only for permanent UK residents, which rules me out. Does anyone have suggestions about how to do, where to look? And which bank to choose? Thank you, Frola
Kr1tya3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey,

I'm going to get a basic account at NatWest.
SebastianD
Report 9 years ago
I have the same problem. From my research I found that Lloyds and Barkleys have free accounts for international students. (for the Barkleys one you have apply before you arrive)
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SebastianD)
I have the same problem. From my research I found that Lloyds and Barkleys have free accounts for international students. (for the Barkleys one you have apply before you arrive)
Are you sure about that? As far as I am aware there are 2 Barclays accounts available to you but they require £1000 and £5000 deposited. The £1000 doesn't give you a credit card or an overdraft.
meisje
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
*subscribes*
SebastianD
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
Are you sure about that? As far as I am aware there are 2 Barclays accounts available to you but they require £1000 and £5000 deposited. The £1000 doesn't give you a credit card or an overdraft.
I don't see the problem in depositing 1000pounds. Someone who is coming to the UK to study is sure to have more than that available.
You normally don't get a credit card with any account when you are an international student, but you do get a debit card which is more than you need for making payments. I doubt that the other accounts, for which you pay about 5-8 pounds per month give you a credit card.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
says here you pay £5 a month for a debit card with Barclays.
http://www.offshore.barclays.com/uk-student-account/
frola
Rep:
?
I just want an account which:
1, demands no desposit
2, gives me a debit card
3, has no monthly fee
4, can be managed by internet

And no lavalamps or mp3players! Just a simple and stable account. Any suggestions?
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by frola)
I just want an account which:
1, demands no desposit
2, gives me a debit card
3, has no monthly fee
4, can be managed by internet

And no lavalamps or mp3players! Just a simple and stable account. Any suggestions?
Any basic or current account.

You really shouldn't have any trouble opening a normal account as long as you have proof you're at uni and proof of your UK address (you can usually get this via a 'bank letter' from your university); you just can't open a student account like UK students.
AnonymousPenguin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't most basic accounts carry an annoying 2% fee when using your debit card?
fruttidee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hi everyone, a fellow EU student going to British uni in October

from what i've found out we're eligible for following free of charge accounts:
NatWest Step Account - no monthly charges - Solo debit card - Ł7 charge to receive funds from overseas
Lloyds TSB Classic Account - no monthly charges - Visa debit card - Ł7 charge to receive funds from overseas
Royal Bank of Scotland Key Account - no monthly charges - RBS Visa debit card
Barclays Cash Card Account - no monthly charges - cash card/debit card - Ł6 charge to receive funds from overseas
HSBC Basic Bank account - no monthly charges - cash card only - Ł8 charge to receive funds from overseas
Online banking services should be available in all banks.

Does anyone know what's the difference between Solo and Visa Debit Card? Are they equally acceptable? I think I might go for NatWest Step Account as they have their branch and ATM on my uni's campus or Lloyds TSB Classic Account.

The other accounts we could apply for would be proper International Student accounts:
NatWest Advantage Blue - Ł6.95/month
HSBC Passport Account - Ł8/month
Barclays iBank Student - Ł5/month (first 3months free)
Santander International Student Bank Account - Ł5/month
AnonymousPenguin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fruttidee)
hi everyone, a fellow EU student going to British uni in October

from what i've found out we're eligible for following free of charge accounts:
NatWest Step Account - no monthly charges - Solo debit card - Ł7 charge to receive funds from overseas
Lloyds TSB Classic Account - no monthly charges - Visa debit card - Ł10-30 charge to receive funds from overseas
Royal Bank of Scotland Key Account - no monthly charges - RBS Visa debit card
Barclays Cash Card Account - no monthly charges - cash card/debit card - Ł6 charge to receive funds from overseas
HSBC Basic Bank account - no monthly charges - cash card only - Ł8 charge to receive funds from overseas
Online banking services should be available in all banks.

Does anyone know what's the difference between Solo and Visa Debit Card? Are they equally acceptable? I think I might go for NatWest Step Account as they have their branch and ATM on my uni's campus.

The other accounts we could apply for would be proper International Student accounts:
NatWest Advantage Blue - Ł6.95/month
HSBC Passport Account - Ł8/month
Barclays iBank Student - Ł5/month (first 3months free)
Santander International Student Bank Account - Ł5/month
Thanks so much for that. I'll be going for a Lloyds classic one then. I know the cash-card ones usually don't give you a chequebook. As far as I know Solo will be accepted at less shops. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_%28debit_card%29
fruttidee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
Thanks so much for that. I'll be going for a Lloyds classic one then. I know the cash-card ones usually don't give you a chequebook. As far as I know Solo will be accepted at less shops. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_%28debit_card%29
Your welcome
(Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
Don't most basic accounts carry an annoying 2% fee when using your debit card?
i've never heard about sth like that. is it true?
AnonymousPenguin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fruttidee)
Your welcome

i've never heard about sth like that. is it true?
I was wrong about the debit card fee. Barclays doesn't have that fee on the cash card account. There's no chequebook though.

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Currentacc...P1242557963900
frola
Rep:
?
fruttidee:

thank you for the great survey!

three small questions; what do you mean by funds from overseas? just money from foreign banks? is overseas outside the UK or outside the EU? and does RBS take no charges for these overseas funds?

thanks, Frola
kingoskings
Report 9 years ago
Hi there

Im from Spain and I will start in Sept my first year in UK.

I want more or less the same as everybody. A bank account with credit card, no monthly charges, etc.

AnonymousPenguin said that a Lloyds classic account takes 10-30 pounds for receiveng funds from overseas, can anyone give more information about it?

because the main aim is to receive the money that my parents will send me from here Spain,

Two days ago I send 250 pounds to a HSBC account from my Spanish bank account and they charge me 27 euros of comission, so it seems complicated =(
innuendo_s
Report 9 years ago
Hey,

just came back from a year in the UK studying for my MA. I had a Classic currency account with Lloyds and was really satisfied with it: no monthly fees or other charges, good online banking and a free Visa debit card. It also automatically comes with a savings account which is convenient for "storing" larger sums of money with a little interest. I only transferred money from abroad to the account once (one big sum at the beginning of the year) and the fee was quite high, but not horribly/unexpectedly high. I can only recommend that one, actually.
fruttidee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by frola)
fruttidee:

thank you for the great survey!

three small questions; what do you mean by funds from overseas? just money from foreign banks? is overseas outside the UK or outside the EU? and does RBS take no charges for these overseas funds?

thanks, Frola
Overseas means any other non-UK bank.
RBS most probably does charge for receiving funds from overseas - I just didn't have the time and energy left to check how much is it
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It does charge for this, they all do.
kingoskings
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by innuendo_s)
Hey,

just came back from a year in the UK studying for my MA. I had a Classic currency account with Lloyds and was really satisfied with it: no monthly fees or other charges, good online banking and a free Visa debit card. It also automatically comes with a savings account which is convenient for "storing" larger sums of money with a little interest. I only transferred money from abroad to the account once (one big sum at the beginning of the year) and the fee was quite high, but not horribly/unexpectedly high. I can only recommend that one, actually.

Hi

How much money did you transfer from abroad and how much was the fee?

was euros to pounds?

thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.46%
Excited (165)
9.35%
Worried (308)
17.45%
Terrified (389)
22.04%
Meh (183)
10.37%
Confused (39)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.82%
Impatient (217)
12.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise