Does Oxbridge live up to the hype? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dopey
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, here's a question for all the people already @ Oxbridge (esp Cam). Once you're there studying does it live up to your expectations, exceed them or disappoints you? (or are you too stressed and busy to even think about it) Any responses would be gr8, thanx!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nope, doesn't live up to the hype that people on this board give it. Can be very anal at times.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Nope, doesn't live up to the hype that people on this board give it. Can be very anal at times.

Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Well just look at the clamour to get in on this board. It's certainly not worth all that. It's OK but it's not spectacular living here. A lot of people just aren't prepared for the stress or the sheer amount of work and are seduced by dreaming spires or whatever.

tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well just look at the clamour to get in on this board. It's certainly not worth all that. It's OK but it's not spectacular living here. A lot of people just aren't prepared for the stress or the sheer amount of work and are seduced by dreaming spires or whatever.

ill second that...some people on this board seem to be putting way too be treating the whole process with a bit too much emotion! it doesn't live up to the hype in terms of getting a job, yes you have a great chance to do well with an oxbridge degree but it does gurantee you millions and you still have to impress employers. so just because u get into oxbridge does mean you're "sorted for life", it just means you have the best opoortuntiy to do well.

what oxford has lived up to for me is just the chance to be in such a unique environment, it can be weird at times but its so great for your personal development. some of the applicants really should place more emphasis on wanting to get in for the environment as opposed to hte supposed ££ after wards
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nope, doesn't live up to the hype that people on this board give it.
Aye, I think I agree mostly. It certainly does have its advantages, but equally there is a lot of work to do and I rather suspect that it isn't too different from other universities in many respects other than the type of people you are around.

Then again, don't they say life is what you make it?

It certainly isn't worth breaking your back to get to!

Alaric.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Yep am sure you are right. Just being melodramatic!
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so how hard is it? what are we looking at in terms of hours per week (bit of a crude measure, I know) including lectures, classes, tutorials, essays and other private study?
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nero076)
so how hard is it? what are we looking at in terms of hours per week (bit of a crude measure, I know) including lectures, classes, tutorials, essays and other private study?

Depends on what subject you are talking about.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Depends on what subject you are talking about.
my offer is for ppe
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well for me last term I had three hours of tutorials a week (1 to 1 and 2 to 1), six hours of lectures and as much private study as you are prepared to put in I guess. I had two essays per week, plus problems and exercises to do, and that takes up quite a bit of time, and that's ignoring all the reading you have to do :eek: .

Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tagzt)
ill second that...some people on this board seem to be putting way too be treating the whole process with a bit too much emotion! it doesn't live up to the hype in terms of getting a job, yes you have a great chance to do well with an oxbridge degree but it does gurantee you millions and you still have to impress employers. so just because u get into oxbridge does mean you're "sorted for life", it just means you have the best opoortuntiy to do well.

what oxford has lived up to for me is just the chance to be in such a unique environment, it can be weird at times but its so great for your personal development. some of the applicants really should place more emphasis on wanting to get in for the environment as opposed to hte supposed ££ after wards
So is the environment as good as it looks like in the pics?? One of the things that attracts me about Oxford is the lovely old buildings as I love history of architecture! (my grandmother is a quite well known architectural historian)
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This year (2nd) for compsci we generally have 2 or 3 lectures a day, 2 or 3 supervisions a week (include 3 hours or so prep time for each), the equivalent of one practical a week (3 hours or so) and as a general rule of thumb we're supposed to spend one to one and a half times the amount we go to lectures revising the lectures.
My friends think I'm now doing a slack subject, though more was expected last year when we were on the natsci tripos as well.

My rough calculations mean I should be working about 45 hours a week at least, I don't.

Alaric.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
Well for me last term I had three hours of tutorials a week (1 to 1 and 2 to 1), six hours of lectures and as much private study as you are prepared to put in I guess. I had two essays per week, plus problems and exercises to do, and that takes up quite a bit of time, and that's ignoring all the reading you have to do :eek: .

Anuses like youself aside, I find it does live up to it.
You do as much work as you want to, obviously you are alot more conscientious. You can't blame the system when it is you.
J
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
So is the environment as good as it looks like in the pics?? One of the things that attracts me about Oxford is the lovely old buildings as I love history of architecture! (my grandmother is a quite well known architectural historian)
Erm it depends. Loads of people go to ChCh expecting to be living in Hogwarts and end up in the Blue Boar (hideous concrete monstrosity-type-thing). I myself live in a gloriously retro (irony) sixties building which is fairly ugly from the outside but quite nice on the inside, and it's always filled with Polish architecture students (apparently the most organic building in Britain!!!). From outside college there is an amazing view across the spires though - everytime I walk across the front lawn I can't help looking for a few secoonds and thinking how lucky I am.

hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
You do as much work as you want to, obviously you are alot more conscientious. You can't blame the system when it is you.
J
No I am not conscientious; I don't do nearly as much as I should. My subject is heavily based upon reading and I have major exams at the end of term, but I know I don't do nearly enough. I find the work really demanding, and although you can do as much as you like, if you do too little you WILL be sent down.

aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
J
That's not too nice foolfarian , Hildabeast is nice
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
That's not too nice foolfarian , Hildabeast is nice
Aww thanx, have some rep

tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)

oh its better, nothing like walking through the town on a foggy day wen you get some amazing views. the whole town just has a certain atmosphere which is incredible, best part of studying here.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads